Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliens v's Predator

Options
  • 16-08-2001 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

The new demo is just out. Hope the net code is alot better then the last one.

Local mirror - ftp://ftp.quake.ie/temp.demos/avp2demo.zip
    55 megs.

Grab it while its there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Nice one - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Anyone know when it will be out here?
    Rang EB but they were pretty vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

i thought the 1st 1 0wned.....
    ill download it when it comes out smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

THANK U VERY MUCH!!! U JUST KILLED ME!!

my heart stopped while playing that.........AHHH DAM IT ITS BETTER THEN THE ORIGINAL. Its scary as hell and feels just like the film. Wha i luved about that was it felt so open ended.. i mean i was skulking around the corriders for a hour just reading bits and pieces and being as cautious as ever (i have seen the films when they say all clear it aint biggrin.gif) I am a die hard aliens fan and that game is the best version of the whole marine v aliens thing yet. IT ROX. I luved every minute of it. I was saying lines from the film during the vent scene and i was ****ing myself at the end when u get to level 2. Ahhh its brilliant!!!!!!!!

?? u said theres another one... where can i get that and which character is it i luved the alien in the original cool.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

AvsP2 is a f*cking pile of sh*te.

It's not really the engine (although it does "feel wrong", and it really does crawl - and I'm running it on a bloody GF3! No excuse for it, NOLF goes like sh*t off a shovel...), it's the design...

When Rebellion did AvP, they did something we hadn't seen before, something that was very original, very atmospheric and tense, and very very cool indeed.

This crowd have made a Random Bog Standard Yank FPS Game. With Aliens.

In a desperate attempt to make it all more tense, since they can't do atmosphere properly, they've cheated - basically breaking the motion tracker, so that they can use the "YOU OPEN A DOOR. AN ALIEN JUMPS AT YOU! BOO!" trick over, and over, and over, and over again.

They've reduced the best creatures ever invented in film into cannon fodder with poor AI and animation like spastic stickmen.

There should be f*cking laws about this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

are you trying to say it's no good? smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Erk, I'll have to agree with rob on this one. From playing the demo mission anyway. Do the aliens look worse than in the first game to anyone else?

It does chug along on this computer (which is half decent) especially when an alien pops up where the fps drops down to about 10. Its just the same stuff weve already seen in the first game really, I dont think I'll be buying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

2 people like it 2 people think its a pile of donkey sh!te.
    I'll have 2 get it and see what i think smile.gif
    Cos i wuv aliens aswell (i even have the M41-A pulse rifle as my AK-47 in CS,it looks l33t and even has the right sound smile.gif)
    I'll get it 2night and play it 2morrow smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I'll throw another vote down with those who think its donkey crap. You can do the tense thing, popping out of the dark thing once or twice - the first game overdid it for me; and this does it even more so. Just making levels dark and throwing out aliens isn't fun, you can only hold suspense for so long until it becomes tedious. And what is with the - "show them part of the level that they can't get to and make them spend 20 minutes to get there" - thing. This was an old trick to make things interesting (mastered in halflife)- but its way overdone especialy in this game. They should have been imaginative and made a different game, different gameplay, the old game wasn't worth rehashing badly imo - perhaps things will change.. maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

The Monolith factor strikes again rolleyes.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm a big AvP fanatic (aliens, predators(yautja), marines... I love it)... So even if you dumped on my front door step, and told me it was the new AvP game, I'd treasure it.

Thank you for your time, and in advance, under no circumstances must you excrete on my front door step, or I will be forced to ring the Guarda, and bust your mofo ass. That is all.

-Dark-The Yautja-Angel-

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i havent played the demo , but i own the first own and that was pure class especially on multiplayer but i wont be downloading the demo because what i have read of the game in mags its looks like it has completly screwed with what the 1st game achieved , i would be happy with the original AvP with better graphics and different levels but they had to go and change it , now it looks like being another dull FPS which are beginning to take over the shelfs of gameing shops - Die you ******* games!

«Donal|R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Shinji you must be joking the i is supperb the graphics are excellent and it is a good ****ing game.it doesnt look as good as colonial marines on the ps2.

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    AvsP2 is a f*cking pile of sh*te.

It's not really the engine (although it does "feel wrong", and it really does crawl - and I'm running it on a bloody GF3! No excuse for it, NOLF goes like sh*t off a shovel...), it's the design...

When Rebellion did AvP, they did something we hadn't seen before, something that was very original, very atmospheric and tense, and very very cool indeed.

This crowd have made a Random Bog Standard Yank FPS Game. With Aliens.

In a desperate attempt to make it all more tense, since they can't do atmosphere properly, they've cheated - basically breaking the motion tracker, so that they can use the "YOU OPEN A DOOR. AN ALIEN JUMPS AT YOU! BOO!" trick over, and over, and over, and over again.

They've reduced the best creatures ever invented in film into cannon fodder with poor AI and animation like spastic stickmen.

There should be f*cking laws about this kind of thing.
    </font>

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww B0LL0X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

I agree with Shinji on this ... and we don't agree that often :P

AvP2 is not really up to much the graphics could be miles better. and the game AI seems to be as Thick as a Brick. AvP was excellent except for the crap net code, AvP is descent, but if you are a hardcore fan or even a softcore one, don't expect much from it. you will be disappointed.

it's going back to the idea sequels must be better than the original, but they rarely are. this just seem to have even attempted much.

The Graphics on the surrounding are nice, but the models are ... well what you'd expect from a 15 year old kid who has only had 3d max for a few days.

the Original game play was nice, course you couldn't take breaks as the AI would shove in a load of new monsters ever few seconds smile.gif so you had to keep moving once you started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Mr Pussy

AvP was and still is a classic game! biggrin.gif
    ............but the AvP 2 demo isnt the best.
    Hopefully the full game will b better wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Just played this afternoon from my cover mag. Not impressed...theres nothing we haven't seen before. And I dunno, for some reason..it just feels..Irky. It doesnt play as smooth as other FPSs. Its allright for a cheap scare...but its been done.

Think I'll skip this one.

"Ca bhfuil an buama?!"

Reqs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Avp demo....the graphix own but the map i was playing seemed a bit boring to be honest but you prolly have to get into it a bit first. I played it in a computer shop for like 10mins!

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

A bit disappointing, not cuz of models or graphics, but the whole pitch-black ship thing is really getting f00king boring now... they shoulda taken the story from that Dark Horse comic with the Japanese chick, then we could have fights outside in the desert, or at least inside with artificial light - plus stampeding rhino thingies smile.gif if someone makes a SP mod of that or of Predator 1 THEN I will buy the game.

Just one thing though, I have an ol' P3 450 but AvP2 runs fine, except for at the spawn point but after that it was all smooooth. I dunno why you lot are having problems :/

[This message has been edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox (edited 01-09-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Well on my Athlon 600 + TNT2 it ran like ****e, even with all the visual dropped down to the floor. As Shinji says, NOLF flys on a similar system. No excuse. Love the first one too.

Had Red Faction on the same disk. Didn't take to it either. Weapons, in particular, felt weedy. Perhaps I'm getting too fussy in my old age or perhaps it's bacause the last two games I finished were Grim Fandango and Thief II and these two new games are not in the same league at all.

K

What. Are. The. Min. Reqs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Apparently you need at least a 1GHz with 256mb RAM and a Geforce 3 to run it properly, but like I said it works fine at 800*600 on my 450 with voodoo 3, altho my 382 RAM might have somethin to do with that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

runs ok on k2-500 128mb RivaTNT2 32mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Just finished playing the demo and I wont be buying it. Plenty of games out there are much better. frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Just played it, loved the first one, but that one sux!! :mad:
    The graphics look worse to me, the old one ran great on my machine but that one woow whole other story...

I was looking foward to that but i'm very disopointed, n whats the story with the big flashes when u pick up something or are being attacked... or worst of all the stupid music when u'r in danger ... not impressed at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

First of all this is an early demo...it was released to see what things needed be fixed in advance of being shipped, while there was still time, so basing your opinion on wheather or not to buy it on this demo alone seems a little premiture. TBH I wasnt too pleased with the demo, was a little too easy.

They will only be releasing 1 more demo...a multiplayer test, with the 3 species. :)

I'll be waiting for the full release before I make my mind up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I agree completly. You'll have to wait for the full realise before passing judgement.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

it was released to see what things needed be fixed in advance of being shipped, while there was still time

Given the release date they're aiming for, and the sheer depth of the problems people have fingered with this demo, I wouldn't be holding out much hope...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I got the Demo off the new PCG coverdiscs. Ran it on this machine
    P3 800 Coppermine
    128Megs PC100 CAS2
    CLABS GeForce256 SDR
    Whenever an alien pops out it getts REALLY choppy. Sucked. Couldn't go with such sh!te

fter getting an additiona; 512Mbs of ram though, might fire it up again, see what happens.

Advertisement