Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Us Credit Card Query

Options
  • 16-02-2003 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I want to buy some clothes from a US based company on the net, but they will not accept payment from my Irish visa card. Any suggestions for payment? Can I get a US visa card?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I want to buy some clothes from a US based company on the net, but they will not accept payment from my Irish visa card. Any suggestions for payment? Can I get a US visa card?

That's bizarre. Is it actually the credit card they complain about, or the delivery address? Have you a friend in the US who will do the transaction for you? You could pay the friend by PayPal.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ruth

yes its the card, i was getting the goods mailed to a US address for forwarding to me. what is paypal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

That's odd, I have had no problems using my AIB Visa card both Online when buying goods from America and also I had no problems using it when I was on Holiday over there.
    Try contating you card provider to see what they have to say.

Regards
    Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭colinsky

I've had the converse happen a few times here, Irish shops/businesses that won't accept a US-issued credit card (despite it being backed by MasterCard/Visa/AMEX). My general solution is to find the same product or service from a different company that is willing to take my payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

For security reasons many companies will not ship goods to an address other than the billing adddress of the card. And with you trying to use a shipping address in a different country to the billing addy they're probably getting alarm bells.

BTW not all companies flag that so try somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

For security reasons many companies will not ship goods to an address other than the billing adddress of the card.

Many of the companies that SAY they have this policy (will only ship to the billing address) don't actually enforce it. Most European credit card merchant systems don't do address matching, due to the absence of standards of address formatting in Europe. In the US, it's fairly simple to do city/state/zip code checks, but not here in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

The main problem I've had is that when ordering online from US Companies many of the Secure forms deliberately exclude overseas Credit Cards, by virtue of the Fact you must select a US address in the "State" and "Zip code" in the field options.

This seems to be the implicit way in whcih they verify the authenticity of your credit card and limit their sales to US based consumers.

A bit of pain it must be said.

Advertisement