Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

black and white

Options
  • 19-08-2001 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

what do ppl think of this game i just had my first game of it and i think its crap i like games aoe,sim city ect but this sux.any taughts?

life:sexualy transmitted allways fatal
    pa153@hotmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

yea,it sux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Topic: black and white

Topic Expanded

Topic: black and white SUX!!!

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

B&W is very disappointing, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

yeah i was very disappointed with it frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i thought and still thinkits a bit enjoyable actually.
    but then again, im not very good at rts', so i get a good challange from them. apart from that, its funny, the grap[hics are still gorgeous, and its fun to play.
    does it all for me smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm still enjoying it... despite all the "oh how could it not live up to all that lovely hype" talk... - fun game, a nice escape from reality - which is something that's very welcome right now wink.gif

My villagers are very happy, at the moment... but shit at soccer frown.gif

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

/me ponders..is this a disturbance in the force

WWW + Bard in aggreement.
    smile.gif

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Bad game in my oppinion. Too shallow. I think it's a bit like the sims, once you played around with all the bits, there's very little game there.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

i heard so much positive stuff about it.i taught it was going to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Its very impressive, just not much fun after a while. And it suffers from my all time hate in any RTS/Sim, th cimputer does not obey the rules of the game (Infinite mana for the enemy for one)
    Way too easy once you try this little 'tactic'. Get a pile of rocks, pelt them with 3/4 fireballs (until they glow). Then hold one and touch it off enemy buildings/people. Destroy the village and then repopulate it with your own. On the later levels this is faster than trying to conver them, and it costs you very little mana.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Actually, i have a trick for infinate mana (if you dont mind becoming evil)

Make around 80% of your villagers breeders, then, once the kids are born sacrifice most of them. You get between 1000 and 2000(Dunno it exactly? Havnt played B&W in a few months smile.gif ) points for each kid, which really adds up smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I usually love god games (sim city, civ 2 etc.) but b&w, to me, was much more like The Sims. To much bloody hassle: "weaah we need more food, weeeah we need more wood". Píss off and leave me alone!

Plus the fact that you have to drag your monster everywhere you go with the sucky control system.

And there's that spooky voice that kept whispering "deaaathh". Not exactly uplifting.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

you dont have to give them food , if you dont u go evil n stuff .

i thought it was quite enjoyable , not as good as pokémon tho which was better for raising monsters , yes pokémon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FunkyChicken:
    you dont have to give them food , if you dont u go evil n stuff .

</font>

Ah, but if you dont give them food they tend to do things like dieing of starvation, and having no peons makes the game a little harder smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FunkyChicken:
    ...pokémon tho which was better for raising monsters , yes pokémon</font>

PIKA! PIKA! PIKA!

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Its not a very good game after youve played it for a while it does become very shallow.

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Okay, I really like the game - despite the fact that it can get a little repetitive at times. It's all those little touches that help, for example I hear that if you're using Outlook Express and you get a mail - a villager will make himself prominent and say 'Oh, holy one, you've just got mail' - Class. There's such traces of humor everywhere in the game "The Brown Bear - so they do do it in the woods"

I will say that it does have a limited lifespan - once you've gotten past the fifth land there's not much for you to do. Except have another go I suppose. My creature, is, er not too impressive. I just don't have the patience to raise him properly and adhere to all the little guidelines like potty training him. Hence when I go to 'Creature Mind' in the Creature Cave it say's 'My Deity has paid me very little attention' - even though I'm feeding him every ten minutes and trying to get him to learn every miracle in my repetoire!

Oh and by the way, I have used that 'burning rock' technique. It really is effective - by bringing up the serf stats and by checking the village totem you can see how many villagers are left. If there are no villagers left then all you have to do is put one or two of yours there - do something to impress them (doesn't have to be much - a little rock throwing will do the trick) and violá - the village is yours.

Question - What's the difference between a creature learning a miracle in general and learning by gesture?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

yea swiss great idea and all....
    but one night i was up 4 7hours bombarding a town with fireballs,trees,fences and even cows!!!!
    I eventually won the town, but it was from about a mile away relitively.I stopped playing it 3days later :/
    never played it since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Black and White didn't live up to the hype but i still think its brilliant but still could have been netter from all that we read about it!

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

If I read all the reviews that said it was utter sh!te then bought it I would hav been pleasantly surprised; instead I read PC Zone's "pure genius" and "one of the best games of all time" so when I got it I was disappointed to say the least. A pretty good game with some nice ideas but definitely not a classic.
    If you still want it then wait for the price to go down or get a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

bahh. regardless of reviews it's just a ****e game. in fact, it's not even a game. it doesn't know what the f-ck it wants to be. it tries to have a linear storyline and be open-ended and it fails at both... it has too much rendomness for a strategy game, like these silver scrolls suddenly appearing for no reason. it's just the latest version of populous, and i never really liked populous either. no direct control over what's going on... you just have to try to be nice and coexist with these little muppets, and maybe, just maybe, then they'll do what you beg of them... that is, IF the AI can understand wtf is going on. gorgeous graphics, a couple of once-off niceties, but come on, a built-in email alert doesn't make a game. and this isn't a game. it's just too bland and doesn't know what it is or where it wants to go.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I still like it. Why? There aren't too many games out there of this genre, and fair enough it is quite a small game, but it has some degree of lastability. For example - There are ways of retrieving other creatures, the ability to spent ages growing / training your creature to perfection, you can lob villagers (Or anything you wish) around like mad (I spent 3 hours lobbing them around when I first played the game) - Have any of you found the indistructable fisher man on island three!?

The most annoying ****er you'll find in a game - You can drown him (Oh wait - HE DOESNT DROWN), feed him to your creature (Only to be shat out later by your very confused creature), lob him off cliffs and mountains (And he'll bounce around in slow motion making comments) and lots of other things - It was hilarious...

Also, there are many ways to complete the levels, and don't forget the entities - You can go for purely evil or be a very nice god indeed - Also, it's good trying to convert enemy creatures - Use nice spells on the evil ****er and you'll soon have him dancing with your creature biggrin.gif

That said, though, it still does get quite boring, but that does not mean it's a crap game.

[VAR]-RopeDrink***** was killed by IOL NoLimits with Headshot from Disconnect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RopeDrink:
    The most annoying ****er you'll find in a game - You can drown him (Oh wait - HE DOESNT DROWN), feed him to your creature (Only to be shat out later by your very confused creature), lob him off cliffs and mountains (And he'll bounce around in slow motion making comments) and lots of other things - It was hilarious...</font>

It was intensly frustrating you mean. I wasted hours trying to waste that little f.u.c.k.e.r. Couldn't even sacrifice him at the temple. I think that's where I really started to hate the game.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Ehh your not supposed to kill him, if you noticed you can always cast spells near him...so drop him into the enemies sacrafice dish and demolish his temple....

altho oe of the funnythings that you can do to him is have your creature eat him....

The way to kill him is drop him in the portal at the end of the level...hell be in the next level but you can kill him wink.gif

Insanity is spreading like wildfire.......and Im at its center :p

www.scifi-meshes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Hey the game is great fun! Very good graphics and great online play, although it is a bit repeditive.

Advertisement