Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses - Album Archive 20/02/03

Options
  • 16-02-2003 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Appetite For Destruction - Guns N Roses

Waxl and the boys' debut album, recorded way back in 1987 when the band members actually liked each other. Having slogged theirt way round the bars and clubs of California's Sunset Strip, the Gunners made their mark with their own self-financed EP Live like A Suicide in 1986, whereupon Geffen signed them and they escaped the fate of so many LA nobody hair-and-spandex bands. AFD features Sweet Child O Mine (their breakthrough hit), Paradise City and Welcome To The Jungle. Not to mention It's So Easy and Mr. Brownstone. tune in to the Album Archive this thursday on Phantom between 8 and 9 pm for the story of Appetite For Destruction.

And remember, with your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothin' done.

Regards

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nessy

I studied this for my inter cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 gaston

i guess its a bad sign when you think...ahhhh i was in high school when g´n´r was at its peak. For gods sake, i remenber as far as the falklands...could i be getting old?
    **** good music the early nineties produced...yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Think it was the first 'proper' album I ever bought. The heaviest one i ever bought anyway all those years ago.
    Was never into 'devil music' at that stage.....thankyou axl et al for converting me.

Oral sex = anagram of axl rose.....always found that funny too. If you ignore the W. of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

aaah the memories... great choice Mr. Taylor, I bought that album when it was released here, I was fourteen, it was actually the first LP I bought. My mother freaked out when she saw the cover - the man-machine sort of thing attacking a woman (with a boob showing), it was an animation/cartoon of course, but that didn't stop Mrs. D registering her disgust at my purchase... strange thing is, I reckon there's a bit of revisionism going on now when it comes to G N'R because it wasn't so long ago when they were being slammed for misogynist and racist lyrics, in fact I remember at the peak of the Madchester scene, circa 1991 I suppose, it was considered very uncool to like white-trash, six-pack-swilling, gun-toting, tobacco-chewing stadium rock outfits like Guns N Roses.... but maybe Use Your Illusion changed that... anyway, better go and do some work, will be tuning in for this archive album...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Strange but factual points there.....GNR where one of those bands were the coolness status seemed to change a few times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rob Taylor

Joey and Trev, I agree with you. It was WELL uncool to like the Gunners at various points during the nineties. I remember my older bro checking out the album around 1990-91. He listened to it once and said he hated it. I ranted on at him about how you couldn't judge an album by one listen blah blah but he was having none of it. Lo and behold, not 2 years later, he had bought it and was raving to me about it. Weird. I have to say I was embarrassed on one or two occasions telling people I was into GNR, and the subsequent sneers that statement seemed to induce. Now that I'm in my late twenties, I'm far less of a musical snob than I used to be, and this album just rocks like a bastard.

Regards

Rob

Advertisement