Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guitarist wants to join/form band

• 16-02-2003 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Looking for a drummer, bassist and singer.
    Between the ages of 16-25.
    Must be playing their instruments a minimum of 5 years ( or if you feel you're still pretty good but not playing as long as this feel free to contact me ).
    I'm looking to play...I don't know what the hell to define it as...sort of abstract sounding rock/metal? Stuff along the lines of Tool, mudvayne, Q.O.T.S.A.
    Which is why the musicians in the band would need to be pretty good.
    Anyway, If anyone is interested contact me at:
    Degal@iol.ie

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

no-one bother replying to him this dude is WAYYYY to picky plus I have a hunch (after looking over previous discussions) that this guy aint as good as he says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Eh....ok.
    Cheers.

Yeh I am picky....which is because of previous experiences in bands where I wasn't picky and lets just say these bands weren't great.

And where are you getting this hunch from?
    The only way you can actually know if I'm crap of good is by listening to me....not by whats written on a forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Shut up the both of ya! :>

yes sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

whats the point in bing pick?
    dude, you'll never get anywhere!!!

i do vocals (which i'm not the worst at) in one band (who are deadly) and i do vocals and bass(i suck at the oulde bass pretty much) with
    another(this whole band sucks but we have great fun).

the point is, i have good crack with both. if you just want to get in a band you can "make it" with, then dont bother.

spread your talents, learn and teach, try new styles and sounds - get out of the box man!!

punk out

ferdi

• Advertisement

So what you're saying is...I should stop being picky and be in a band with just crappy musicians?....that way I have a better chance of getting anywhere?...that makes sense.

I want to be in a band that I can have craic with, of course .

I also want to be in a band where I can learn things from the other musicians...not one where I'm not learning anything.

Why shouldn't I bother wanting to be in a band that will go anywhere? A band that dopesn't want to get anywhere will have crap songs( most of the time) and won't to put the effort into at least trying to be the best they can be because they don't have any real long term ambitions.

Just what I think.

seriously man, its your loss.

be in as many bands as you can, that way, you can be waiting for "just the right band" and still be playing and improving yourself.

also this way you get to know loadsa other musicians who, even if they suck now, will improve - its who you know in 'showbiz', get to know more people who will be the future of the industry - its the smart game to play, its called networking.

and even if you leave the bands and hook up with "mr right band", all your former band members will be a great ready made fan base for those difficult first few gigs.

good luck dude, see you backstage at witnness 2007!!!!

punk out

ferdi

You do have a point.....but doing that takes up ALOT of time and ALOT of money....neither of which I have a surplus of.

And as for improving yourself playing with different bands...well...I can improve on my playing on my own...and it's a bit hard to learn from people in a band who aren't really that good....I don't know....

I'd like to find a band that will enable to say to myself, "right, these are pretty good....they seem to think I'm good, I'm gonna put a good bit of time and money into this band and hope it works out"

instead of

"these are just ok...even though I've been in a good few bands before like this that have fallen through and nothing has come of them accept months of wasted time and money I will try again with this one"

Anyway, soon the leaving cert will be over....and I will be able to focus more fully.....yes yes....over...forever.

yeah ok, i've got the old leavo in june too, its putting great restrictions on my music, not long no though!!! WOOHOOOO!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

You should just look for musicians who are willing to work hard, have rythem and a good ear.

Thats what I'm trying to do.

Being in a succesful band is about work rate more than anything as far s I'm concerned because you'll get so much better so much quicker playing with other musicians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ACE OwNz J0oO!!

I would be happy with any band to be honest,i have been playing the guitar since i was about 12-13 , im 15 now so im ok at it. The problem is judging how good you are. Being picky isnt a crime as their is certen types of "music" i couldnt listen to eg.Slipknot. Not that i have anything against their fans but i just dont feel that it has what it takes to be called music.I suppose im a few generations late though listening to music like Led Zepplin , Deep purple, Jimi Hendrix,Nirvana(which arn't old),etc But opening up to new kinds of music is what makes it interesting as now i Am listening to metallica which are amazing :D

Actually Pauleeee, I'm interested to know,
    How many bands have you played in and How many live gigs have you done?

I've played in a total of four bands and I played one gig yonks ago.
    So on the gigside of things I ain't that experienced

Am I gonna get a ' you're still really unexperienced and haven't played with enough people and done enough gigs' reply now?

HAHa yes you are. Jesus if you dont play live a lot, you wont have a clue what you're doing seriously. So my suggestion would be, don't start looking for a ready made band. Just join a band, and then dissect the group, if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres lots of pro musicians who never played live or gigged at all. The fact that you've gigged a lot proves nothing except that you've gigged a lot. Then theres people who have gigged for 20 years and still only know 3 chords. If you want to be picky be picky. In the end the only person who knows what right for you is you. Some of the best muscians I ever knew never played on a stage in their life. So gigging experience isn't the only way to become a good muscian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ya paul! go u.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Theres lots of pro musicians who never played live or gigged at all. The fact that you've gigged a lot proves nothing except that you've gigged a lot. Then theres people who have gigged for 20 years and still only know 3 chords. If you want to be picky be picky. In the end the only person who knows what right for you is you. Some of the best muscians I ever knew never played on a stage in their life. So gigging experience isn't the only way to become a good muscian.

I think we're past the point of whether or not he is a good Musician or not, and yes I still think it's important to gig with different bands, and experiment, rather than look for the "perfect" band. What if they don't want you!

Originally posted by Giblet
    I think we're past the point of whether or not he is a good Musician or not, and yes I still think it's important to gig with different bands, and experiment, rather than look for the "perfect" band. What if they don't want you!

So its quantity vs quality? If some one had played with too many bands I'd question their commitment.

No no no, I mean he says he is good, so thats the quality. All he needs now is the band/gig experience. All I'm suggesting is he try not to be picky, but if there is a weak link in the band, dispose of him!

I wouldn't bother about commitment really. If the band works, there should be no reason to leave, and if he does leave, he doesn't deserve a band :>

But if the band sucks, he should leave, and if someone did question his commitment, his answer could be. "Well if you're good I'll stay" :>

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Giblet
    No no no, I mean he says he is good, so thats the quality. All he needs now is the band/gig experience. All I'm suggesting is he try not to be picky, but if there is a weak link in the band, dispose of him!...

Ah with you now : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Jetrel

this is getting ridiculous.
    the internet is not the answer here AT ALL.
    Iv been in a good few bands and the only people iv
    ever played with whom i met through the internet are the
    extras that needed to fill the line up. posting on every music
    forum every few months with "looking for this, dont want that" with the only change being the influences isnt gonna work. Its taken me 4 years to get in a band with people i have fun with
    and iv only started playing with them recently.i met NONE of these people over the net and im glad.Sitting in your room waiting for someone to think your the EXACT person for their band and they have to have you just aint gonna happen.If anything its anti-social. My Advice:forget the net and get out talking to people your own age who you have a laugh with and stop taking yourself so seriously. you'll find alot more attractive prospects by actually interacting with different social circles rather than waiting for that "special band" thats gonna see your ad on the net and whisk you away to live happy ever after!
    Look i dont think you need to post anymore threads coz you've got every music website and its mother covered from what i can see.if you keep waiting for the "perfect band" your gonna end up wondering what could've have been.Take a chance and just be happy to play, join a band have a laugh and if you get a better offer, go with them!
    **** me that was alot
    alright good luck anyway hope you find somthing

Finding a group of like-minded people to play with isn't easy. Sometimes you never find it. Its just luck really, you can'y force it to happen either. If you look at the history of really huge bands, some people have been in loads of bands, and its was the nth band that was the "one". For others their first band was the "one" and they have never played in another band in their life, or indeed with any other muscians.

Theres no golden rule for how it happens.

Originally posted by Jetrel

Iv been in a good few bands and the only people iv
    ever played with whom i met through the internet are the
    extras that needed to fill the line up.

First of all, quiet Jimbo.

Secondly, I haven't been at home all week so this is the first time I've looked at my computer this week.

I know playing gigs would be a good learning experience, getting to know the best you can get your sound out to the crowd, getting to know how to handle sound men and the likes but I'm not prepared to go out and possibly make a fool of myself or go out with a band that are pretty crap just to have that learning experience.

I think Giblet said I shouldn't look for a ready made band and I should just get one together and start gradually 'disecting' it.
    ...Well, I haven't been looking for a ready made band, I've also just been looking for single musicians , whatever, it doesn't bother me just as long as it wil all go towards forming a band.
    And the whole 'disecting' thing and gradually gettin rid of people I don't think are good enough...would you be able to join a band and play in it knowing from the start that theres one or two members which you don't think are good and are making the band sound **** because of their playing?

Jetrel( Jimbo )...I haven't just been placing ads on the net, I've put some around town too. And maybe you're mister popular, but I don't think it's that easy just to start hanging around in new social groups, especially tryin to find one which consists of musicians or the freinds of musicians.

Anyway. I've put the search on hold til my leaving cert is over...if anything comes up during that time good stuff, but I ain't gonna be busting my balls searchin .

Pauleeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

hehhe ur only doin ur leaving cert,
    that makes you 17 or 18 and jesus when its finished u wanna become famous straight away
    have u not noticed that "most" famous bands are all between 25-30 that means 10years of playin in ****ty bands and having a laugh.. i think tbh ur posts are laughable as you only a teenager and you need to enjoy music as wel as try and get famous.

Well, I haven't been looking for a ready made band, I've also just been looking for single musicians , whatever, it doesn't bother me just as long as it wil all go towards forming a band.

it does bother you as they need to be Over 18 and under 22 and they have to playin long... wtf like some could be playin the tin whistle for a month and could be the best in ireland and you wouldnt take them on coz there unexperienced..
    no offence but kinda get a life...

as for the famous bit i cant see that happening with your attitude:rolleyes:

just my 2p

cart

I have taken in your points, and will construct a wholesome argument to present to you, without resulting in abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

we`re lookin 4 a guitarist 2join a band startin out.
    the stuff we are in2 is kinda hard rock/easy metal,if that makes any sence.
    keep in mind that we will be startin from scratch but if u have some idea`s we would love to hear from ya,cheers.
    if ya want ya can e-mail me direct at,colnb@iol.ie:D

Hey lewis, i got an e-mail off you but I can't seem to respond to it for some reason. I'll try a few more times and check back in here soon enough.

And giblet...you were probably right gettin rid of my last post but seriously, **** like ' you're only 17' really annoys me. What does my present age have to do with anything?.....and I could go on about what loads of other people said, but I shant, because it's pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

howye,i dont know why you cant e-mail me back,ya sure ya did it right?lol colnb@iol.ie
    i`d erally like to hear from ya though,we`ve been tryin 4 ages and no joy,feck its hard 2 form a band lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 staring elf

hey, i sent you an email about our band if you're still looking for one. check it out and let me know if you're interested

Advertisement