Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing speed of net con

Options
  • 17-02-2003 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Have 2 pcs connected direct with NICs ,they connect at 10mbps but transfers seem a bit slowish.

How can the speed be increased?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

how slow is slowish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

50 seconds for 30mb file.

Have about 30 Gbs to send over

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This does not sound too bad to me... Sounds about right... its only 10mbs so of course it seems slow... Try upgrading to 100mbs and you will be laughing. I cant go back to 10mbs as its way too slow and i only have a few pc's networked at home!

Are your net cards not 10/100's? You can get them for about €16 from Maplin!! Then just use crossover cable between them if its only 2 PC's! I use a hub myself as i have 4 connected at home and its sweet.

the max you will get on 10mb cards is about 1.2mB/sec

so 30meg X 1.2mb/sec = 36 seconds
    add setup and file creating/etc then its about right

Cards are 10/100 using Nic to Nic with crossover cable.

Both Win XP pro pcs.

tis never fast enough :D
    How can i up it to 100MB???

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Windows file transfer is crappy , maybe try ftp as that seems to be a bit faster.

KdjaC just remember that 10mbs is 10 Megabits per second, NOT megabytes. And you know, 8 bits in a byte etc etc so what MiCr0 said is spot on.

AS for increasing to 100mbs.. I told you... get 10/100mbs cards.. HOWEVER you may have these cards but if they are very old 3com cards, its possible that XP did not have the drivers and you downloaded the driver from 3com (very hard to find in the archive). Anyway as far as i can tell this driver does not work at 100.. at least it never did for me so thats why i just bought new cards for feck all.

If it IS a 10/100 and the right driver etc.. go into the properties of the card in your network settings... see if you can find the option in advanced to change the media type from 10mbs or auto select (whatever its on) to 100mbps full or half duplex (full better)

what speed does the little network setting in the corner say?

Originally posted by MiCr0
    what speed does the little network setting in the corner say?

If it does not show up in the corner either enable it in your lan settings or else just open task manager (ctrl alt del or right click taskbar and select it) then look at network. Also it will show you the bandwith usage in a very simple way but it looks cool!

3Com EtherLink III ISA PNP Ethernet Adapter (Generic 3C509b)

its extremly old but the other one in her PC is brand new.

thx
    kdjac

• Advertisement

Thats your problem.. A network is only as fast as its slowest Computer and with that ancient artifact you might experience this problem.. the new one might be a 10/100 so answer is replace the ISA crap with a nice new 10/100.. cost about the same as a trip to the cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

3c509B cards are 10Mbit only. They won't do duplex autonegotiation so you may want to force both nics to full duplex. It was a good card in it's day.

http://www.sambadance.com/3c509/kernel-2.2.x/3c509_v117.html
    "..the 3c509B cannot auto-negotiate a full-duplex connection with its link
    partner under any circumstances. If the full-duplex mode of the 3c509B is
    selected, its link partner must be independently forced into full-duplex
    mode as well; otherwise various failures - at the very least, a huge
    numbers of collisions - will occur."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Put hard drive into destination machine. Save yourself some time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive a question dose xp support isa devices ? i didnt think it did if so how did you get that old isa nic in the xp computer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

xp supports ISA alright, at least Pro does.

I ran an old ISA SB for a while, ran well too! :)

Advertisement