Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

final fantasy X

Options
  • 06-09-2001 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Got a copy of the jap version and some guy on the net is translating the whole game , well all the important conversations anyway so even tho i have to read everything off some print outs , now the game is pretty sweet, no having to wait months.... good bless the int0rnet and ppl who have nothing better to do than translate a game for ppl who dont understand smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Kensai

Do you miss the world map?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

The video i saw looks amazing but again only fmv.Are the in game graphics as stunning as everyone says????

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

It looks fantastic. One question though, will the game characthers have voices now? Cause I saw a clip for it and I thought I heard voices.

"Ca bhfuil an buama?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

The game gfx are not THAT impressive so to speak but the amount of places and characters musta been a strain on the dvd.

The game looks very good, the main characters are well designed but the FMV (even tho its amazing looking) is low rez, reminds me of psx FMV and thats kinda annoying.

Almost all conversations are done with text and voices and so far the japanese voices are well done and really fit the characters.

The battle system , oh god is it good :)
    Gone are slow loading rubbish sequences, the turn based thing is also gone and the fights are REALLY quick and enjoyable.
    And even tho you can only have 3 ppl in a fight at any one time you can tag ppl in and out whenever you want.
    Plus the fights with bosses contain trigger parts where the boss will do something (like move behind a pillar so you cant hit him) and you have 'trigger' options, usually something like "surround" or likewise and dependant on what you choose you'll either get your ass kicked or kick his.

The new sphere upgrading system replaces the old levels, and its really hard to get to grips with but seems to be more intelligent to play with.

And the ff8 style graphics are cool enough for me.
    Probably the only disappointing thing about the game is the disc of rubbish that comes with it, a jap comercial for the game which is 20 mins long and makes NO sense at all , they never even mention or show the game!!!!
    Add to that a coupla movies of ff11 which looks crap but they make a point of saying its in production.

Without the world map..... mmm there is kinda a world map , not quite as big but you still cover huge distances quick and then they kinda integrate towns into this map , it sounds weird but it works well.

I do miss just yamering with joe soap on the sides of the road but my japanese is dodgy at best but i still understand the plot and everything and thats all that matters.

This game will more than likely be fairly huge whenever it comes out and i will look forward to the english speaking game just to enjoy it again when it comes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's a bit good isn't it? I've kinda ditched it until the US version comes out - I got about half an hour in and realised that I was somewhat lost... I can follow the spoken dialogue no problem, but sitting with a Kanji dictionary over every menu item and line of text was doing my head in.

Graphically it's a beaut. A lot of people have said that it's not that impressive, and I see where they're coming from in ways - but I compare it to FF7 on the PSX, which I still reckon to be one of the best games the system had in graphical terms; nothing too impressive technically, but the overall effect of the combined styles is simply stunning.

It's going to really sell PS2s when it comes out... 'Course, given the projected European date of June 2002, they'll be giving them away free in corn flake boxes by that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Sounds sweet. Damn sweet.

On a similar subject, is it possible to get the FF chronicles/anthology games in pal?
    I want those games.

Nope, Chronicles and Anthology are US release only. Well worth an import though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭-RaY-

It is l33t being able to get imports but playing imported rpgs not that good since u dont have a clue what the story is unless ur a very very very good learner in japnese.Id rather wait for the release over here

Well i literally have a very concise and exact translation of the games conversations (minus little ones with little ppl) and of all the menu's. Its still a little hard cos i have to go search thru alot of rubbish to find what exactly it is that i just picked up.

It is all a little annoying but the small annoyance is well worth it to play such a great game , i have no intention on waiting for even the Us release, its just far far too long a wait.

The guy who did the fan translation is a friend of the guy doing the official translation, he can do the whole thing in under a month and make it professional enough , yet they string out voice actors (unnessesary if you ask me , the original jap is fine) and cr4p like that for 12 months, its not fair, not fair at all.

*shrug* Waiting for the US version is fine for me. I've a million and one RPGs to finish in the meanwhile.... And god, but I hate playing a game on one screen and squinting at a translation on the other.

Besides, plugging at it a bit in raw Japanese is good for the soul, even if I do feel like I'll go blind if I have to count those tiny strokes ever again... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭-RaY-

Couldnt play a jap GT3 let alone a jap rpg :D

Ahh come on , Jap GT3 (despite GT3 sucking massive johnson)
    was a piece of piss to play, picture of crank shaft.... hmmm could that be a crank shaft :P

FFX is a tad hard but once you get used to some of the regular symbols , especially in the battles , it becomes alot of fun.
    Just takes a little time, the US release isn't that far away but , i already have the game so i think i'll just clear it and then go and get all the secrets and get involved in the american version hopefully minus and dubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Originally posted by Shinji
    Nope, Chronicles and Anthology are US release only. Well worth an import though.

In that case, where can I get my ps chipped?

Gah - US launch is now set for January, and they've got a pair of complete unknowns to do the voice acting.

I've got the ph34r now :(

Just play the jap one.
    The game isn't much more than a story with fights and some mild walking about (which is still enjoyable) and once you've grasped the various translations for the abilities it gets really really addictive.

Advertisement