Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Korea says it would win nuclear war

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nagilum

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan

As to the moron (and I apolgise but I am angry here) who said the US has the right to withdraw from an international treaty like the 1972 ABM treaty I say this; it will start an arms race which will make ABM irrelevent and a waste of money which could have been better spent on the social sevices and libraries that Dubya has closed over the last number of years and also it would set a dangerous precedent - it the US unilaterally withdraws, what right have they to expect any other country to abide by international agreements with them? The furore at the minute is North Korea's breach of the 1994 agreement with the US and ROK not to develop nuclear weapons.

Well, given the vehement nature of your views on the US, I'd say ABM looks like a pretty good investment from this side of the atlantic. I certainly wouldn't want any missiles falling into your hands. God forbid we wouldn't give enough money to one of your pet causes or something.

// end facetious (for the thick :p)

Iraq had the 5th largest army in the world in 1990

So? what was it comprised of? We live in an age where the power of the military is directly related to the "gadgets" they have, or how modern they are. Iraq may have had the 5th largest army, but it was only the special brigades that were equipped to todays standards, the rest had weapons from vietnam,Korea, and yes, WW2.
    There are too many accusations of 'anti americanisms' flying around here.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Iraq had the 5th largest army in the world in 1990

This means very little in modern warfare. You are better off looking at annual military budget and arms imports and exports for an indicator of military might.

The US, for example, spends more money on their military budget per year than the combined budget of the next 25 countries beneath it. (i.e. all the NATO countries + Russia, China and the "Axis of Evil" countries added together).
    how can you be so Anti-American as to think that their propaganda is as bad as the Koreans.

I do not consider myself anti-American. However, if I feel someone is making a statement that over-simplifies or generalises the issue, I will be quick to point it out.

davej

Advertisement