Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 52x burner burns at 16x .. help!

• 17-02-2003 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

I put a cd in and when I went to burn a 48x disk the options I had in nero was 8x,12x and 16x
    I thought it could have been the disk as it was cheapish
    so I went and burned it, it took about 7mins

I then put the cd I got with the burner which said 52x
    I tried to burn this and the options I had was from 1x to 52x

I was tried to burn it at 40x to be on the safe side, but it keep getting buffer-underrun problems and by the time it had finished it took 7mins or so

I then tried clone-cd with a vertibaum 48x disk, I selected max settings .. and again it took the same time as burning 7mins

help??

is there any odvious thing I'm doing wrong

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

quality of CD itself...some are only rated at 16x althougha brandname like verbatim is normally no prob
    the machine how old ? spec ?
    is burner on its own cable or sharing it with another drive
    ata 33 ata 66 ata 100 ?
    OS please

in the end you are talking about the difference between 7 mins and 3 mins to complete a CD, hardly business critical is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes your right hardly bs critical .. but I had a 16x burner and now have a 52x burner .. and no difference between them!!

I'm probably not gonna lose sleep over this, but just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong

spec : amd xp2000+, 40Gb IBM hard drive
    256Mb sdram

the drive is a master, with a dvd as a slave
    I think its ata 100
    but not 100% sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

when you are burning is it a direct cd copy? Or is it from the hard drive? If its only the cd copy then take the writer off the same cable as the cdrom.. slave it off hard drive or stick dvd off hard drive and give the writer its own controller.. nero even warns you about that!

What writer is it?

Thanks guys after I wrote my reply I figured out it was something to do with slave etc..

I'll try that .. it was copy from hard-drive btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Enable DMA transfer for your second IDE controller - it is not enabled by default in W2K.
    52X drives are only 52X at the outer edges of the media.
    Media is probably not rated to 52X and Nero will only burn at the speed that it detects the media is capable of.
    Seen this with Verbatim media in my 48X firewire drive. Two seperate verbatim media rated at different speeds will only be allowed to burn at their specified speed even though they look identical.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mailman
    Enable DMA transfer for your second IDE controller - it is not enabled by default in W2K.

how do I do this??
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

go to the secondary ide interface reference in device manager and enable it from there.

did that mailman
    and it burned at 32x full speed
    haven't tried it at other speeds yet

Thanks
    much appricated

Advertisement