Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamecube A$$ Kickers !

Options
  • 29-08-2001 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Thank God they've finally started to show off the Nintendo Gamecube's primary ass-kickers. Namely, Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. Check those links for footage of each new title.

Personally, I think Mario looks as $w4nk as an Ice-T Pimp Doll with real btich-slappin'-action®. Zelda looks interesting, we'll see what they can do with the anime-ish features and slapstick humor. Metroid, on the other hand, saddens me. Don't get me wrong, the graphics look amazing. But what the HELL was wrong with staying 2D? Nearly every title gets ruined when making the 2D-3D translation. Just look at Castlevania for the N64 (*shudders*). Speaking of which, I sincerely hope the next-gen Castlevania titles stay within the realm of 2D sidescrolling. I wouldn't want to have any unfortunate incidents involving monkey whordes occur at the Konami offices.

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Yo Mamma (edited 29-08-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Mario 128 looks da bomb.
    ty for the linls.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

/me sighs

Gamecube /will/ be much like the N64... Which is to say, it'll be crap. Over the years, the Playstation kept its lead spot even when the Playstation 2 came out! Now, the N64 didn't come near this... You know why? Because it sucked. I got a /free/ N64 off someone, and a few games... I bought /plenty/ of games too, I ended up bringing them back. The only games I thought were even semi-good were the Star Wars games (Rogue Squadron, Shadow of the Empire, etc., etc.)...

Now, Rogue Squadron II is coming out for it, (Rogue Leader) and it looks /amazing/... And I love Star Wars games, especially Starfighter games... Unfortunatly, they said they will not root it to any other formats (Pc, console, etc.) which dissapoints me... Infact, I might end up buying the gamecube just for Rogue Squad. frown.gif Unless someone finds a why to make emulators...

-Dark-Angel-

Oh, and I got a PS2... It's ****ing amazing. It's worth its money... And this is coming from a person who's played/owns all of the most recent consoles. The DvD drive on it is great, too..

-Dark-Angel-

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

dark angel is obviously pro plsystation,which i find very sad.
    It has the worse graphics is extreamly jerky has 1-2 decent games and about 6million piles of cr4p.
    And u never said y the game cube looks like the N64,cos imo the 64 is the best console out atm.The playstation2 is so bad i can get 2nd hand 1s in electronic boutique with no problems,they have 2 of them going 4 £200 with 4games!!! And another thing...if the N64 is crap how come it has had game of the year about 5years running ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

and yo mamma..u missed mario kart and smash bros ..... 2 of the best multi plays on the N64 and the sequels look unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

D-A: Isn't Rogue Leader coming out on the PC?

Pugsley: The PSOne has more than 1 or 2 decent games. It had more than enough quality titles to last anybody for years. You're being a bit anti-Sony if you ask me

(And everyone knows the best console on the market is the DC)

Mario 128 looks fantastic, very smooth. Just what is that thing on his back though, eh?

Zelda also looks good (so shoot me) - I wouldn't say its stylish, but it is very nice to look at.

Metroid I haven't seen in motion but the screen-shots look good at any rate. It will probably play nothing like the other metroid games though.

Rich dans les Dublin a Douze, c'est les poof de la grande. Magnifique.

Maiow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

The Game cube will own! Its unlike the N64. To the best of my knowledge The ps is alot easier to develop for the the n64. However the opposite is true for the Game cube and the ps2. Don't get me wrong the ps2 is a great console but there was no good relase games. but metal gear solid 2 will own!

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

whats every1 bítching about? the N64 had amazing titles (Zelda series and perfect dark) and the PS1 also had brilliant games
    ( final fantasy series and resident evil)
    u have two great consoles at ur finger tips so stop complaining!!
    btw those links are for broadband and im on 56k... a lil help?

[This message has been edited by Jabba_the_SLUT (edited 31-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

no console will "own".

if you want the best gaming experience your gonna have to buy all 3.

do you think the PS2 will have great games that make it worth owning..ofcourse
    and the same applies for Xbox and GCube.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

No, they're not bringing out Rogue Leader for /any/ other platform. frown.gif (Or maybe they're just saying that /now/ so you'll buy the cube).

Anyway... Um, as I said, I have an n64 at home, and I bought dozens of games... I brought them all back, with the exception of a few. I find the n64 /very/ boring and /very/ childish... And I'm not usually that strict on consoles.

The Playstation 2 has the best graphics I've /ever/ seen... Unless you like big, smooth, cartoony, child graphics... Like, oooh lego!!! rolleyes.gif And I do play allot of games (SAD)

-Dark-Angel-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I bought a Ps2 and i must admit i was more impressed than i thought i would be , I still prefer my Dc [which is the best console out there,believe me i own them all] but games like onimusha , red faction , and gt3 have really impressed me , they look fantastic and play well , Zoe is decent aswell and that MGS2 demo.........sweet!
    and the trailers , the ship sinking and the water flowing throught the hallways in game!

«Donal|R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Its a shame that the dc wasnt given much of a chance well at least sega now freelance a plus in anyones book and that new mgs2 video is very very complicated cant wait for the real thing.Ocelot is liquid mgs2 submerges hu??all will be revealed in march 2002

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

The main reason the N64 failed is that it used carts, no one wanted to make games for them because it was too hard. The cube is easier to make games for than the ps2(apparently), and judging by these boards, is very popular.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Hey, sony won the last round, but that's all. back in the days, NES beat the socks of master system, and SNES did the same, although to a lesser extent, to the genesis. remember that was only last generation. this time around sony entered the arena and overtook the SNES on volume of sales.

i loved nintendo, and i was holding on and holding on to slipping release dates for the N64, thinking people who bought playstation were mad, but then the N64 was released, and it had some really bad games. it was technically superior, but as mentioned above was difficult to develop games on. it came too late, and it really didn't have any excellent titles. I played mario, which is quite good, and mariokart, which is a huge disappointment after the super-precise control of the original, and the ISS game which was dull and lacking in control compared to the SNES's ISS Deluxe, and goldeneye, which was ruthlessly bad in comparison to ANY PC 3d-shooter. All in all, nothing made me want to buy the machine.

That was the last round, and now the 4th generation of consoles has begun, with the DC dying before it was ever given a chance. Everyone who knows the DC knows it has some of the most fantastic games in the world, but sega simply didn't have the marketing clout to grab a foothold. Now PS2 has arrived, but hasn't been around long enough for anyone to know what's going to happen it, especially with the x-box and gamecube around the corner. But just because nintendo lost the last round with their badly-planned N64, it doesn't mean they'll lose this round. Everyone knows N64 had the performance, but lacked decent games. what does that point to: difficult to develop good games for. Addressing this downfall has been nintendo's biggest drive behind the gamecube, so i expect it'll turn out quite different this time around.

btw criminallyinsane... what's your point about came about first? the PS came out before the N64, and now the PS2 is out before the gamecube, so i don't know exactly what you mean by it being the other way around now...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun:
    The main reason the N64 failed is that it used carts, no one wanted to make games for them because it was too hard. The cube is easier to make games for than the ps2(apparently), and judging by these boards, is very popular.

</font>

what are u talking about? the N64 didnt fail. it did very well considering its competition. 5 years on its still making games. i wouldnt call that a failure

Face it. Nentendo is a thing of the past. All the people at nentendo have either gone crazy, or have hired new 10 year old game designers. In my opinion... My faviort console was the SNES... I still love playing it.

But they ****ed up royally with the N64, and the Gamecube isn't going to be much difference. No point in defending this point, just let it go my little family love deprived friend, Mario ain't cool no more.

-Dark-Angel-

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pugsley:
    and yo mamma..u missed mario kart and smash bros ..... 2 of the best multi plays on the N64 and the sequels look unbelievable.</font>

i agree,smash brothers 4 player is the best around and smash brothers melle on the game cube looks amazing!!!

"A Master vampire that can walk in day light.....unstopable...unless we stop him!" from John Carpenters Vampires

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dark-Angel:
    Face it. Nentendo is a thing of the past. All the people at nentendo have either gone crazy, or have hired new 10 year old game designers. In my opinion... My faviort console was the SNES... I still love playing it.

But they ****ed up royally with the N64, and the Gamecube isn't going to be much difference. No point in defending this point, just let it go my little family love deprived friend, Mario ain't cool no more.
    </font>

Dark Angel,
    you're not 10 anymore, maybe there' ssome correlation there.

The N64 did ****e, _compared_ to the playstation, but it still sold reasonably well, more so in the US than overhere.

The PS2 isn't doing great, Sony just havn't pushed the advertising as much and they did for the PS1.

SOny are trying to create a home entertainment thingy-me-bob, where as the gamecube will be just a games device.

Given that it'll be released at a lower price than the PS2 I'd say it'll do quite well. Definatley better than the N64 fared.

- Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Criminally insane on Gamecube: have they ever heard of originallity?
    Lets go over some of Sonys main titles shall we?Tekken 4,Ridge Racer 5,Final Fantasy 10+11,Soul Reaver 2,WWF Smackdown 3,Tomb Raider 4,Resi 3,Silent Hill 2,MGS 2 and so on and so on.Anyone else notice the fact that theres a number after each of these?

What would chairs look like if your knees were backwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GIME

Did anyone here or see what happened at E3? Gamecube won seven awards,x-box won 2 and the ps2 and pc won none.Whats the point of debating about whether gamecube is the best console if you dont know what its like? PS2 has impressive graphics but a serious lack of games.Gamecube will have over 80 games on the day its released.All of the video games shows [Games Lab,Games Chart , Game Over , Ex Machina , Game Clip and E3]say that gamecube is thrashing PS2 and X-box . People who complain about the cutesy of nintendos characters prove that they dont know anything about gamecube.In case you haven t heard , all characters cuteness have been toned down. If cuteness is bad, how come pokemon was the most addictive game ever? Because most games players are children.

I have to agree with mark1million about the obsession with sequels e.g. Super street fighter turbo x plus alpha extreme collection 2.Thats probably the 30th or so Street Fighter game on the PS.

P.s. Criminally Insane, am i the nintendo friend you talk about because i dont remember saying that.Nice website by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

yeah, but streetfighter games aren't made by sony, so wtf has that got to do with the machine? capcom are still releasing games on other consoles, so that's not really a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 -Raptor-

Consoles blow - they must be THE biggest waste of money in the world e.g. playstation and N64.PC's have best games and graphics and you talk about Mario kart Smash Bros etc. for good multiplayer games, play cs or Q3 they wipe the floor with these so called "good" games

GIME:

The upcoming console war won't be won by who won the most E3 awards. Its extremely hard to predict whwt will happen in the industry. If you had of asked anyone 6 years ago if SEGA would stop making consoles and develop for other machines, and that Sony would be the dominant force you would have been laughed at.

Secondly, the PS2 is capable of excellent graphics - just look at Gran Turismo 3.

Thirdly, the GameCube will not have 80 games at launch. Its less than 10 actually.

Fourthly, Nintendo aren't really after the 20+ year old demograph. They're happy to leave that to third-party developers. Cuteness has not been toned down - in some cases it has been amplified (look at the Zelda footage for instance).

CriminallyInsane:

Nintendo focusing on crappy features? Hmmmmm... well yes, you're right. I mean it is moronic of them to bring out a hard-drive etc that will have little impact on games..... oh wait! That's Sony.

You want originality? Lets take the GBA link-up cable. This will be used with the GameCube game Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble. It uses sensors on the cable so that when you tilt your GBA, the level on the gamecube will tilt. That's been done to death, hasn't it?

But wait! There's more!

If you tilt it too much, Kirby 'falls out of your TV' and lands on your GBA screen. Then you play Kirby on the GBA. If that isn't revolutionary, then please enlighten me as to what is.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The strength behind the playstation, however, was that it had lots of original and diverse titles - unlike nintendo's cutesy 3d platformers aimed at 8 year olds so they would beg their parents to give more money to nintendo.</font>

Yes! Nearly there! Lets just change this around a bit.

The strength behind the Playstation was that Sony A) released their console when their only competition was the inferior Sega Saturn. B) Threw lots of cash at companies like Square and Namco to develop soley for the Playstation. C) had a huge amount of licences to woo buyers. D) was well marketed. - Unlike Nintendo's vastly superior games like Goldeneye, Mario 64, Legend of Zelda, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Mario Kart 64.

As for the playstation being lower spec than the playstation? Balls. The number of 'bits' a console has accounts for little. Sony opted for CD storage, while Nintendo stuck to cartridges. CDs are cheaper, bigger and so allowed FMVs and higher quality sounds etc to fit on the disc as opposed to cartridges which were expensive and had a smaller capacity. Their only redeeming features was a lack of loading times and the fact they were dificult to illegalll reproduce.

Lastly, the N64 was released a year after the Playstation.

Maiow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CriminallyInsane

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan:

CriminallyInsane:

Nintendo focusing on crappy features? Hmmmmm... well yes, you're right. I mean it is moronic of them to bring out a hard-drive etc that will have little impact on games..... oh wait! That's Sony.

You want originality? Lets take the GBA link-up cable. This will be used with the GameCube game Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble. It uses sensors on the cable so that when you tilt your GBA, the level on the gamecube will tilt. That's been done to death, hasn't it?

But wait! There's more!

If you tilt it too much, Kirby 'falls out of your TV' and lands on your GBA screen. Then you play Kirby on the GBA. If that isn't revolutionary, then please enlighten me as to what is.

Yes! Nearly there! Lets just change this around a bit.

The strength behind the Playstation was that Sony A) released their console when their only competition was the inferior Sega Saturn. B) Threw lots of cash at companies like Square and Namco to develop soley for the Playstation. C) had a huge amount of licences to woo buyers. D) was well marketed. - Unlike Nintendo's vastly superior games like Goldeneye, Mario 64, Legend of Zelda, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Mario Kart 64.

As for the playstation being lower spec than the playstation? Balls. The number of 'bits' a console has accounts for little. Sony opted for CD storage, while Nintendo stuck to cartridges. CDs are cheaper, bigger and so allowed FMVs and higher quality sounds etc to fit on the disc as opposed to cartridges which were expensive and had a smaller capacity. Their only redeeming features was a lack of loading times and the fact they were dificult to illegalll reproduce.

Lastly, the N64 was released a year after the Playstation.

</font>

OHMYGOD- do you even know what you're talking about.

1)The main use of the hard drive is to save things from the internet and enabling the PS2 with an internet cache, so you dont have to reload a webpage everytime you turn off your console, like the dreamcast(which I'm not dissing, i think the dreamcast id great).

2)All that crap about kirby and the link up is SO MORONIC. It's just like nintendo to make little devices and features that only work for one game, like that ridiculous cartridge adapter for pokémon stadium.

3)The playstation also had competition from the PC (the best games machine there is)

4)why do you think that Square left nintendo? I'll tell you why - because Nintendo were SMOTHERING them.

5)don't even try to tell me that nintendo games weren't well marketed. I got SOOO sick of seeing ads 4 perfect dark anf goldeneye.

6)Capacity of CD - 680mb. Capacity of Cartridge - 512mb. seeing as most playstation games (excluding multi disk games) only use about half of a CD, you have no argument. Also, it was nintendos decision to use archaic cartridges - not mine.

7)I was wrong about the console release dates (Sorry Jim) and I retract it.

Well, I think I've made my point. But all that said, all there's left is to say that the PC is the undisputed king og gaming.

How Do You Prove You Exist? What If We Don't Exist? - Vivi Ornitier, Final Fantasy IX

ZZZZZIIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!!

lol pld nekkid

btw im still waitin on those non-broadband links plz biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

4)why do you think that Square left nintendo? I'll tell you why - because Nintendo were SMOTHERING them.

</font>
    what do mean by smothering them? they left nintendo because sony offered them a better deal. Square couldnt give a shíte if they churned out crappy games aslong as they were well paid. they didnt exactly leave nintendo over 'artistic differences'. its all down to cash.

[This message has been edited by NekkidBibleMan (edited 02-09-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CriminallyInsane:

1)The main use of the hard drive is to save things from the internet and enabling the PS2 with an internet cache, so you dont have to reload a webpage everytime you turn off your console, like the dreamcast(which I'm not dissing, i think the dreamcast id great).
    </font>
    Absolute bull. What capacity is it? 20GB? Who in the name of God needs a 20gb cache?

What it will more than likely be used for is a scratch disc, to speed up loading times or allow more memory-intensive games to be played. Will it revolutionise gaming? Not likely. For a start, the majority of the PS2 owners won't buy one - they won't see the point. So, following on from this, developers won't want to develop a game that has a narrower market.

Sony will try to push downloadable games - but that's of no concern to us until we get broadband.
    2)All that crap about kirby and the link up is SO MORONIC. It's just like nintendo to make little devices and features that only work for one game, like that ridiculous cartridge adapter for pokémon stadium.
    </font>
    Actually, Nintendo are placing a great emphasis on the link-up. Don't be surprised to see it used in the new Mario and Zelda games.

The link-up is one of the coolest features about the GameCube.
    </font>
    Smothering them? As in restricting them? As in not allowing them to develop games for rival systems? Nope.. that was Sony.
    5)don't even try to tell me that nintendo games weren't well marketed. I got SOOO sick of seeing ads 4 perfect dark anf goldeneye.
    </font>
    The Playstation was far better marketed then N64. Playstations were installed in clubs, it became a recognised brand.
    6)Capacity of CD - 680mb. Capacity of Cartridge - 512mb. seeing as most playstation games (excluding multi disk games) only use about half of a CD, you have no argument. Also, it was nintendos decision to use archaic cartridges - not mine.
    </font>
    512mb is the maximum storage, and the games taht came on these carts cost £55. CDs were cheaper, bigger and had better sounds/video quality. I've just checked some Playstation cds, not one game used less than 450mb.
    Well, I think I've made my point.
    </font>

Yes, I think you have. You've made it quite clear that you are a blinkered idiot and a Sony fanboy. Well done.

Maiow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CriminallyInsane

I think that the Game Cube is going to suck donkey balls - Its going to sink faster than the Titanic. All nintendo do is focus on crappy features like plugging your GBA in to it and recycling their older titles into new versions with slightly more smooth around the edges graphics - have they ever heard of originallity?

The strength behind the playstation, however, was that it had lots of original and diverse titles - unlike nintendo's cutesy 3d platformers aimed at 8 year olds so they would beg their parents to give more money to nintendo.

And another thing that bothers me is people "pulling rank" by saying that the N64 has higher spec than the playstation. If anything, this makes the playstation look better, as it still managed to beat the n64(which it did) even with lower specs - what does this say for nintendo.

One more thing, i have a nintendo-loving friend who says that thge only reason that the playstation beat the n64 was because it came out after it - well now it's the other way around, so I guess now we'll see...

How Do You Prove You Exist? What If We Don't Exist? - Vivi Ornitier, Final Fantasy IX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Just can't believe that ppl can discount nintendo. Do you really think you know more than a company thats been making games before some of you were born, a company that have been at the top all the time?????

They may not have made much of an impression with the N64 but they still made a giant wad of cash, ten times more than sega.. who, from this forum you would think are semi-gods, are all you ppl praising them but secretly not buying their stuff ??

~Nintendo will continue to own the market for whatever they decide to aim their machine at, kids, adults... it doesn't matter. And even tho i didn't like the N64 i think the gamecube is looking promising, i refuse to judge it till it has at least gotten to the 2nd or 3rd generation games (did this with the ps2 , got me nowhere but with a large expensive machine that looks pretty)

Advertisement