Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big trouble over software

• 17-02-2003 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

a guy in work bought a copy of dreamweaver flash and fireworks from a guy in the buy and sell. It was an illegal copy.

the guy told him that he copied it from work, but having seen it myself I know it was a kaza copy.

Now the guy got it on friday and installed it now the guy then tried to run the updater to version 6.1

he downloaded the updater and it didn't work, as it was missing files - hence the kaza theory.

he sent Dreamweaver a mail saying he couldn't update it. - he actually believed it wasn't illegal.

now DW got back to him saying it was a beta version, and also a heavy threat.

He was getting sick this morning cause he was so nervous .. does anyone have any advice??
    will these ppl forgot about it or will they charge him??
    or fine him?? if so how much

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

If he says he didn't know it was illegal and that he bought it in good faith he probably wouldn't get into any trouble. If Macromedia wants to get anybody it would probably be the guy who is selling it. This is just speculation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Tell him to write back and explain the situation... offer to help track down the person who sold him the dodgy copy on good faith. I doubt they care much about a single user.. its business users they care about, companies that use illegal software.

The term muppet though comes to mind about this guy! Sorry but it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The guy who sold it reply to him saying he hadn't a clue
    as he bought the cd for college, and just sold it on to re-coup money.

* Edit
    He mailed the guy who sold it and that guy rang him up, he was genuinely sorry (he seemed), he was really nervous on the phone, and said he would help him any way he could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by hussey
    the guy told him that he copied it from work,
    he sent Dreamweaver a mail saying he couldn't update it. - he actually believed it wasn't illegal.
    Two very conflicting statements. Take Saruman's advice and tell him to stop being naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Your mate could still be in trouble because pleading ignorance doesn't stand up in law when it comes to piracy. The ball is really in Macromedia's court. If they have a very aggressive stance when it comes to piracy they may indeed punish your colleague to "make an example of him".
    If he wants to get off he be forced to give details about the guy he bought it off.

davej

• Advertisement

Yeah well I couldn't believe it aswell.

The guy said : But If I have a serial code, I can't be illegal
    I really didn't think anyone was that stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

:D

This is like Stealing a car and then ringing the manufacturer demanding a waranty repair to fix the ratling noise in the engine!! But i have the car so it must be mine and so perfectly legal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

This software presumably came on a CDR without boxes or documentation and the guy beleived it was legit??!!

What sort of a company does he think Macromedia are?

I'd have thunk anybody with the cop on to know he wants Flash and Fireworks and/or use them would know a little more about software and licensing laws.

Tchoh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

doubt there will be any hassel tell him to dl it from the net and buy it online then copy the cd key he was given and keep it in a safe place get rid of the old version . doubt they will do anything . he should of never got it from the b&s anyways

muppet dose come to mind i wouldnt think anything about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

He didn't buy the thing in good faith. You say "the guy told him that he copied it from work"
    I hope your friend doesn't think this means its legit. I'm guessing, as others have, that the thing came on a cdr, with no manuals.
    I'm sorry but for being such a muppet your friend deserves everything he gets.

• Advertisement

I agree with you he is a muppet
    I honestly dont know how he thought it was ok

please feel free to slag him off :)

as we have been all morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

how much did he pay for it?
    Flash is £369 and Fireworks is £219 from the UK so if he paid 20 then he can hardly expect anyone to believe he thought it was legit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

I reckon he gets a marching band with him at the front handing out free copies of software and makes sure the route of the march passes by every software company in California with a rally at Macomedia.

Advertisement