Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clubs supported in u.k

• 17-02-2003 12:35pm

updated study of the ratio of clubs supported.

who do you support 49 votes

liverpool
    0% 0 votes
    man utd
    28% 14 votes
    arsenal
    26% 13 votes
    chelsea
    16% 8 votes
    leeds
    2% 1 vote
    everton
    2% 1 vote
    celtic
    4% 2 votes
    spurs
    14% 7 votes
    other
    6% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I voted other, as Blackburn Rovers are my team.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Celtic

(Since I live in London Im a West Ham and Spurs member to go and watch live games..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Axe

Liverpool. Don't bother telling me they suck, I am already well aware of that. I hang onto the desperate hope that they will pick up some form before the end of the season, and that they will win the "Worthless" Cup, and thus qualify for the UEFA Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Liverpool. Do we get a trophy if we win this poll???
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

manchester united all the way!!!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Liverpool will have the most followed by Man U, then probably followed by Celtic or Arsenal... its down to their relative success in the 70s/80s/90s. Well maybe not in Celtic's case... they have other reasons for being popular :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Is this really going to tell you anything you don't know?

My guess is that 75 per cent will say either Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool.

(OK quick look at result to date says 14 out of 18 ie 78 per cent fall into that category. Acceptable margin of error given the early stage of the poll)

I would say at least half of the remainder will say either Everton or Leeds and the vast majority of them will be 30+ Where are all the Queen's Park Rangers fans? The Brentford supporters? The Reading faithful?

A more interesting question would be why do you support the team you do? Especially if it's in a town or city you don't live in or rarely visit?

Why do you insist (as most such fans do) on demanding that others see your 'support' of this club as an integral part of your identity?

Do you enjoy singing 'you're sh** and you know you are' at the genuine supporters of the smaller teams your super-wealthy idols steamroller all over with regular abandon?

Is the success of your favourite club more important to you than the success of your national team?

If not, why do you contribute with your fervent long-distance loyalty to the disproportionate wealth of a few small clubs and then gripe like hell when that leverage is used to influence key players (Giggs, Keane etc) against playing international football?

I only want to be told.

it is a valid study as it isn't just about man u or liverpool. consider arsenal have a huge suporters base in tipp town. you'd be quite surprised. take the influx of newcastle suppoters around 95 to 97. i.e. people change with the weather

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

hmmmm me the only everton fan so far.....though there was more of us out there...come out from wherever your hiding everton fans...you dont have to hide anymore...well not for this season anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I'm an other aswell

I support Fulham

for more information www.fulhamfc.com :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    Is this really going to tell you anything you don't know?

I would say at least half of the remainder will say either Everton or Leeds and the vast majority of them will be 30+

???? i'd disagree, based on experience.
    i know several everton fans from college and school who'd be 23/24/25...it would have started when we were boys in the late 80s and everton were good.
    there's few in that age group that don't support utd or pool, but after those two everton or arsenal would be the more popular,
    don't know any leeds - they probably picked up a few kids in the early to mid 90s

Is the success of your favourite club more important to you than the success of your national team?

[/QUOTE]

not for me but i know some liverpool fans who differ.
    euro 88 was the first time i watched footbal and i was a die-hard ireland supporter from day 1.
    Social circumstances leads any footbal fan to follow one club in england and i went for everton, no romantic story to justify it and i don't care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by Washout
    hmmmm me the only everton fan so far.....though there was more of us out there...come out from wherever your hiding everton fans...you dont have to hide anymore...well not for this season anyways
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool (but most of you know that! :) )

Why do I support them? Cos when I started to follow them it was 1974 and they'd played a great FA Cup final agin Newcastle (it was the first game I remember seeing) and of course after '74 Pool were the best club in England and Europe for the next 15 years.

I also support Wolves for family reasons.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The only Spurs (so far)...oh, its a lonely life.

First match I remember is them winning the UEFA Cup in 1984 (yeah, there was a time when they won stuff) on penos, after two legs against Feyenoord.

Outside the prem its Reading all the way. Love em to bits, also a soft spot for Rushden and Diamonds.

I wonder how many Celtic fans would have to deliberate over their "other" UK team before choosing the hoops? And likewise for all the others who chose their main team over Celtic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Arsenal and have done since i was small (early 80's). can't remember why but there are photos lying around with me in an Arsenal shirt when i was 3. can't be family related seeing as they are all either Leeds/Liverpool/Manchester United/Celtic supporters

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

the only team worth supporting

Villa of course

Now now, lets not get dillusional.
    the only team worth supporting

Villa of course
    I can think of many teams worth supporting more than villa, the rest of the premiership for 19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Sh!t, messed that up. Didn't even bother to see if Everton were there and voted other.... :D
    There should be 3 Everton votes now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by therecklessone

Outside the prem its Reading all the way. Love em to bits, also a soft spot for Rushden and Diamonds.

Hmm. This is potentially interesting. Care to share why such teams are the subject of your affections with the group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I wonder how many Celtic fans would have to deliberate over their "other" UK team before choosing the hoops? And likewise for all the others who chose their main team over Celtic...

Its not unusual for people to support Celtic and not support and English team. I know plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I voted "other" cause Im another Blackburn Rovers man. So thats 2 for the Blues and Whites.
    I first seen them playin Liverpool around 1990 in the FA cup and it was a great game. As I always disliked 'pool i kept an eye on Rovers. When Dalglish took over I got more attentive and have been a full blown supporter ever since.
    But, I would never support them above my national team. Its Eire all the way as far as I am concerned.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I'm a liverpool supporter, why? because when i started watching footie in the 70's the first match i saw was a live liverpool european fixture, and as i was watching it decided to shout for the pool. the only live footie on telly in those years was the euro games and the FA cup final.

i stayed on supporting them, i've been to anfield but not as often as i'd like to get. something i intend to sort out next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    Hmm. This is potentially interesting. Care to share why such teams are the subject of your affections with the group?

Reading...developed a soft spot for them in the mid-90s, when they stood a chance of promotion to the top flight for a while. Had a bus driver mate of mine who had family over there, we used to talk a lot about them. Showed signs of being a progressive club, building the Majedski Stadium as they did, pity they went down to the second division, but things looking good now. They play ggod football. Also, I've managed to take them from the 2nd division to the Champions League (and won it) in Championship Manager!!!!

Rushden? Saw them play Shels in a pre-season friendly a couple of years ago, Shels won 3-1, and four better goals you will never see. It was a cracking game, and I've always kept an eye out for 'em since.

Bateman, I wasn't trying to take the piss, but I would say the majority of Celtic fans in this country would also have an English club that they support. Just think back to the crowd at the Liverpool-Celtic European matches a couple of years ago, a lot of "half and half" scarves you'll admit. Cracking atmosphere as well, I'll never forget hearing "You'll Never Walk Alone" up in Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Hugs-E

2 other ppl support Spurs, I thought I was the only one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Man Utd. Always have... Always will....

I started supporting liverpool cos they were playin' united in the 1996 cup final, and all my friends were supportin united, so i decided 2 be different. Have supported them religiously ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Gwan the Scarborough, Might get promoted to the 3rd division this year.

21/25

Advertisement