Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minidisc mzn10

Options
  • 17-02-2003 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting myself a new minidisc as my old one has started acting up. I've been looking at the mzn10, Sony's newest top of the range net md recorder (just come out in the uk this month). Has anyone gotten it yet ? Can anyone recommend a good uk site to buy it from. Any of the one's I've looked at seem to only ship to Ireland after some hassle with phoning and such...

davej

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I bought a sony net md in December from ebay.com It cost me about E130 (brand new)

Ive had no problems with it and longplay 4 is the business! 56 hours on 1 disc. I havent used the software as it wont work with windows 95.

I paid using my creditcard and had no problems in the process. It took about 3 weeks to be delivered. I got it for under half the selling price in argos - great savings to be made on ebay. The guy i purchased it from answered all my questions via email.

Run a search for 'sony net md' in the advanced search option changing the available to tag to Ireland. There are always a few being sold.

Here are the specs on mine:

Sony MZ-N505 Net MD Walkman BRAND NEW !!

High-speed, drag-and-drop transfer of PC audio. No, it's not an MP3 player it's Sony's revolutionary new Net MD Walkman! Its advanced USB connection gives you direct digital dubbing of MP3s or ripped CD tracks from your PC to MiniDisc at speeds of up to 32X that's 80 minutes of music in as little as three minutes! Plus, you get handy software for your PC: OpenMG Jukebox for music management, and Simple Burner QuickRip, which allows you to dub CD tracks directly to MD without saving files on your computer's hard drive.

But the pocket-sized MZ-N505 can do more than just record from your PC. It can also make great-sounding recordings from a CD player, radio, cassette player, and other sources (analog and optical cables available separately).

MDLP record mode lets you store up to 5 hours of music using a single 80-minute blank MD perfect for taking lots of tunes on the go! And, since it's MiniDisc, you get easy recording, editing, and titling with discs that are fully rewritable, nearly indestructible, and ultra-affordable.

Sony's G-Protection skip recovery system makes your MD listening experience a smooth one. And an optional "AA" battery can power the MZ-N505 for up to 56 hours!
    Key Features

*converts MP3, WMA, and WAV files to ATRAC (or ATRAC) in LP2 or LP4 mode) for MiniDisc playback
    *compatible with USB 1.1 and 2.0
    *digital and analog record level control
    *"Easy Skip" group/folder function
    *minijack input (analog stereo and mini-optical digital)
    *mini-USB jack
    *no microphone input
    *digital synchro recording
    *sample rate converter
    *Digital Mega Bass®
    *G-Protection skip recovery system
    *Automatic Volume Limiter System
    *stereo headphones
    *AC adapter
    *playback time in LP4 mode: up to 56 hours
    This item is Brand New - Manufacturer Warranty applies ( Warranty card included)
    One Year parts. 90 days labor
    ]

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

longplay 4 is the business! 56 hours on 1 disc.

You must be mad man! The most you can fit on an LP4 minidisc is 4 x 80 mins which is 320 mins which is 5 hours and 20 mins.
    The PLAYBACK time is 56 hours which means that your battery will last 56 hours.
    Still minidisc rocks and NET MD is a good idea. Why everyone doesn't have one i dunno!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by davej
    I'm thinking of getting myself a new minidisc as my old one has started acting up. I've been looking at the mzn10, Sony's newest top of the range net md recorder (just come out in the uk this month). Has anyone gotten it yet ? Can anyone recommend a good uk site to buy it from. Any of the one's I've looked at seem to only ship to Ireland after some hassle with phoning and such...

davej

i think one of those went on e-bay yesterday for 175 or possibly more , im lookin to do the same thing and i think im lookin for the same minidisc as you.... where did you say you saw it cuz i was tryin to find out about it today and i couldnt find anything on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

net mds at askdirect:
    http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?call=ask.productBrowse&id=336&topcatid=2
    their prices are usually quite good.. but i dont know current prices for MDs so i cant compare.

to b honest davej id say the only way to get it is online off britian, which means everything has to be converted to sterling+ p&p which puts price well into the 300e mark.......bugger.....superfly.co.uk had the best price so far but its still in sterling so not sure if ill be buying it just yet, 229.99 as apposed to amazons 279.99, i might just wait until it becomes available over here, it looks the shiit though.....

also are you interested in a minidisc player in the meantime, its still under warranty, comes with reciept and all, perfect condtion, not net md though, nearly twelve months old....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

yeah - 5 hours per disk

Here, the best way to go is through an american on ebay.com. Theres massive savings to be made. At the moment the € is trading at $1.09. When I bought mine in December it was $1.03 I think. You should be able to pick one up for $120 including P&P.

Dont bother get 1 that doesnt have LP4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Ok guys,

I bought the mz-n10 and have been using it for the past week.

The cheapest I saw it for at the time was £213+?pp (but couldn't use my credit card on the site, bank transfer only). So I went with dabs.co.uk for £230 + £20pp because they have a good reputation.
    It took just 2 days for it to arrive. So I guess it cost me around €370.

What can i say about it? It's amazing, the first thing that struck me was how light it was compared to my old player. The sonic stage software that comes with it is very slick and easy to use (though the whole check in - check out thing is a bit annoying). If you have the money i wouldn't hesitate in recommending it...the review in the link above is very comprehensive.

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

e370? ouch :)
    now go get a decent pair of headphones...
    http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26&productID=0020100005

davej i have the euro, so could you tell me exactly how you go about getting it....also what color did you go for the silver or the blackish color

mail me if you like ive no card either so this bank transfer thing is interesting .....

cheers mooman,
    mooman_00@yahoo.co.uk

just noticed that the drybattery clip on thingy is black from the pictures, is your one black

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

davej i have the euro, so could you tell me exactly how you go about getting it....also what color did you go for the silver or the blackish color
    just noticed that the drybattery clip on thingy is black from the pictures, is your one black

I saw it here in late Feb for £213 but this now seems to have been increased to £224 (still the cheapest i've seen). Again I'm not sure about postage charges. Read this page for info on how to purhase it using bank transfer. Note: I didn't buy mine from this site, I got mine at dabs.co.uk

I got the silver version and yes it came with a black drybattery bit. This is actually bigger than the old one i had, but so far i haven't used it.

davej

• Advertisement
Advertisement