Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD-RW or DVD+RW

• 17-02-2003 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Which burner is the one to buy, DVD-RW OR DVD+RW?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

DVD-RW I read ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Until a clear winner comes out of that 'war' i'd say don't buy either. Buy something that does both :) The Sony DRU-500A (http://www.sony-europe.com/view.x?cat=22167&prod=31576&loc=eu ) should give you what you want. Komplett are selling it but it doesn't look like it will be in stock for a while. (Komplett SKU: 114122)

Quote from Sony site:
    Sony Duo Drives solve a long-time dilemma for DVD users. The world's first DVD ReWritable Drives enabling you to work with two competing and incompatible formats - DVD+RW and DVD-RW. Get the best of both worlds with Sony Duo Drives.

btw: it also does cd-r & cd-rw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I know there's a one that does either but If you were buying one OR the other......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

-RW & -R discs work perfectly in any dvd players I have tried

The Pioneer A05 is a superb drive. Although it doesnt have the RPC1 bios available yet

Well, from what I hear they are basicly the same but the DVD-RW disks are supposed to be cheaper.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by JohnK
    Well, from what I hear they are basicly the same but the DVD-RW disks are supposed to be cheaper.

They're incompatible with each other

I know that. What I ment was that at the end of the day your getting the same service from both types. A high capacity disk to store your data on. Just that the -RW would probably be cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

DVD+RW is supposed to be better at recording directly to mpeg and has better timeshifting facilities for telly.

DVD-RW media is cheaper but if you get stuck with the latest pioneer drive a05 as I did with firmware 1.21 then you might not be able to burn with just any cheapo discs. Luckily enough my datasafe/princo disks work so it's not as bad as other dvd sites may portray. And DVD-RW is I think more compatable with standalone players. I backed up a dvd and it played on the family's dvd player, my ps2 and xbox.

Originally posted by CivilServant
    And DVD-RW is I think more compatable with standalone players. I backed up a dvd and it played on the family's dvd player, my ps2 and xbox.

Has anyone checked their DVD+RW with standalone players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

If you can accept compatibility with existing players of 70-80 % (+RW) versus 80-90% (-RW) then go for a + RW.

+ is much better at dealing with errors (eg scratches).
    + is supported by philips/sony (they created cd)
    + is a newer format yet is growing at a MUCH faster rate than -
    + is rewritable c.1000 times vs. 100 times for -RW

but most importantly,
    + Dell are shipping +RW drives. they are the biggest pc manufacturer in the world. goodbye -RW

tribble

edit - it is true that -(R)W disks are cheaper but that is because they have been around longer. Give +RW about 4 months.

Consider buying an NEC job from komplett that will do both

• Advertisement

Tribble, Where did you get your information from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

For a very biased +RW opinion check here .

or here2

tribble

note - it seems that both camps appeer to claim 1000 re-writes.
    i would be sceptical of -RW's ability to do so. Hell, I doubt if +RW could do it either but I would put my money on + beating -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

I backed up a dvd and it played on the family's dvd player, my ps2 and xbox.

CivilServant what DVD writer do you have? Just I want to get one to back up some of my DVDs, have a bad habit of scratching them, and not sure what to get.

Pioneer A05, haven't burnt a bad disc yet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Pioneer A05, haven't burnt a bad disc yet.

What software are you using for backups?
    Did it come with the Pioneer, or did you buy a seperate package?

I bought an OEM version of the pioneer and am using nero 5.5.10.0 to author and backup DVDs. I think the retail version is packaged with InstantVob, haven't used that but have heard good things about it.

What size disks are using? I know absolutely notthing about them, some-one told me a movie probably wouldnt fit on a standard 4.7gig dvd disk?

Sorry if this is a stupid question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

ROiiht..to answer some question on the above..

Buy ther dvdr- over the dvdr+
    My reason for the above statement would be

Compatiblity with literally hundreds on standalone dvd players as well as 99.99% of dvdroms..
    Works Hundreds of times for me and others as above so why chance a good thing..
    Cheap media.. the dvdrw+ is nearly DOUBLE the price
    Cheapest ive found are dvdr- is 44p dvdrw- 59p
    Both good brandnames but dearer media will go no more that £1 or two for dvdrs and dvdrws
    Media Speeds... 1x 2x and 4x are available..
    4x start in around £1.60 upwards to £3
    Aint seen a 4x dvdr+ around have ya yet... Nor i dont think u will Cause in my opinion its the dogs bollix...

Also to answer tribbles comments..
    + is much better at dealing with errors (eg scratches)
    Who Gives a toss at 49p a shot ... Get realistic the flippin discs dont mend themselves..
    + is supported by philips/sony (they created cd)
    Who gives a toss again.. Sony knows **** all bout cds.. Lite-on have a far better burner (cd) on the market and they didnt make the friggin cd did they..
    In fact aint seen a decent phillips burner nor sony past the 12x models or 20x Look at the lite-on range or perhaps some of the slower plexwriter 40x
    + is a newer format yet is growing at a MUCH faster rate than -
    This is absolute Jobbly talk m8.. dont know what info this is based on.. lol
    I,ll let u in on a secret.. Anyone remember christmas .. Trying to get ure hands on a pioneer ao5... Places were prebooked till jan 14th (some of the larger companies) and what the heck.. any i repeat make model size shape or dvdr+ models were all ALLL FULLY stocked.. Sales just plain sucked m8..
    I "Heard" some shops were doin so badly in sellin em they,d let some young one with big fun bags hand deliver it to ure door just to flog one... Dont quote me on that one !!!!
    + is rewritable c.1000 times vs. 100 times for -RW
    Aint got a clue bout taht .. lol Dont even no what u just said ..

but most importantly,
    + Dell are shipping +RW drives. they are the biggest pc manufacturer in the world. goodbye -RW
    Ive seen and played with some of the current 2500 euro dvdrw+ dell machines.... Pfft..
    All i can say is EVERYONE knows that dell sucks on this board..
    LOL

ALso sorry about any of the above comments that may have offended anyone and just my 2 cents btw..
    All open to debate Appy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Clearly you should buy a dvd+rw - as the proponant for dvd-rw seems unable to spell or form a cogent sentance.

ya sure he,s totally gonna go with ure ill informed decision because it had less words,better spellin and no facts..
    Back to the wild with u monkey :)

• Advertisement

ok, CivilServant Can you let me know what type disk, size etc you use, cause you only person to say you have copied a movie, and therefore i think you can probaly tell me what i need to know :)

Originally posted by The Apprentice
    Sony knows **** all bout cds..

Want to back that statement up?

Na kind of put that in the wrong context i retract my statement..
    Heres my new one..
    Sony no nothing about making cds...

Best brand possibly for cdr and dvdr for that matter at the minute i find are datasafe
    14p Get Cheaper and better... I dont think so

Originally posted by The Apprentice
    Na kind of put that in the wrong context i retract my statement..
    Heres my new one..
    Sony no nothing about making cds...

Thats what you basically said before aswell:rolleyes:

Ya think so m8..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

1980: Sony and Philips create a standard for Compact Disc Digital Audio

1982: Sony introduces the first CDplayer, andthe firstCDarrives....BillyJoel's52ndStreet

1984: Sony introduces the portable CD player and the first car CD player

1985: Sony and Philips create a standard for Compact Disc ReadOnly Memory CDROM

1989: Sony and Philips create a standard for Compact Disc Interactive (CD-I)

1990: Sony and Philips introduce CDROM-XA and CD-R(RecordableCD)

Are you starting to see the pattern here?

I think what you meant to say was that Sony don't let you have every sort of feature in the drives, and I can certainly agree with that from the few Sony CDR/RW drives I've used. They worked, but were nothing special, compared with my Plextor at home.

Get your facts straight The Apprentice beforeyou go spouting bollocks.

I knew there would be some twat who.d object to my opinion..
    (5.68 per day) and in fact u talk more bollox that me

Also thinking or knowing sorry that sony make all of the below they should have had the best features/updates on the cd burning scene.. They didnt so bringing me to the asumption that they knew **** all bout it.. much the same as u !

Originally posted by SyxPak
    1980: Get your facts straight The Apprentice beforeyou go spouting bollocks.

Stung:D

Sorry Wanton, been away for a few days. When companys advertise 4.7 gigs they're not telling the whole truth. Their idea of 1 gigabyte is 1000 megabytes and probably 1000kbs in a megabyte. So after some calculation you're left with 4.48 gigs per DVD-5 disc.

All movies come in DVD-5 or DVD-9 format. DVD-5 is 4.48 and DVD-9 is 2 DVD-5 discs pressed together, total space 8.96gigs. That's why you can't burn DVD-9 discs.

For movies that are larger than 4.48 you have to either recompress to reduce the size or cut some scenes out. With the dvd I burned, the movie was 4.51gigs. The credits were of no real importance so I cut them out and have a full quality dvd as a result, nice! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,639 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

1980: Sony and Philips create a standard for Compact Disc Digital Audio

etc.

mind you it wasn't Sony, it was Philips that invented the cd. Due to previous big marketing mistakes (the best known one being the technically superior VCC (Video 2000) video recorder losing out alongside the almost as good Betamax system from Sony) Philips teamed up with Sony to try to beat the copycats (like m-a-t-s-u-s-h-i-t-a's pioneer, jvc, et al and their total victory in video with VHS). This worked out well for the two companies. Philips still rakes in a lot of revenue from their patents of the CD. Sony of course still rakes in major bucks for its past superior understanding of what mankind wanted to do next: walkman, in-car cd etc.

It is a good thing for us all that those copycat firms produce similar products. If the masses go out and buy these, ignorant of any tech history or product quality, we will all benefit from reduced prices for the whole range

Advertisement