Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spying on a browser's headers.......

Options
  • 17-02-2003 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, in my college project, I'm basically generating a query URL for a search engine, given a few search options. For some reason, google won't allow me to access it directly. However, cutting and pasting the URL into a browser, and google will happily give me the page.

So I'm assuming google is looking at the headers transmitted by the browser to determine if it's a valid query, or if it's me trying to program :)

Does anyone know of any browser, that will let me look at its headers? Or any prog that will let me do it?

I'd prefer not to have to write a tiny prog to do it myself (I'm a bit lazy :))

Or, even better, does anyone know how google prevents you from accessing it directly?

tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never Mind. I found a little java prog that accepts a browser connection, and bounces the headers back to it. Luvverly

And I was right. Google examines the headers before allowing you to connect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

u da man :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by seamus
    Right, in my college project, I'm basically generating a query URL for a search engine, given a few search options. For some reason, google won't allow me to access it directly. However, cutting and pasting the URL into a browser, and google will happily give me the page.

Or, even better, does anyone know how google prevents you from accessing it directly?

tks

Have a look at google's web services. Might allow you to do your project a bit quicker/more efficiently.

Gav

Advertisement