Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Javascript menus

Options
  • 17-02-2003 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Can you please rewrite the menus at the top of the pages to be more compliant? They don't work in Apple's Safari browser and any number of other browsers.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd think the fault may lie with the browser itself, but I may be wrong.

Older versions of Netscape don't display them properly, but Netscape 7 and Mozilla do, so that's why I think it must be browser non-compliance, as opposed to code non-compliance :)

I'm wide open to be proven wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭pyramid man

thats true.
    alot of older browsers are not compatible with javascript.
    it happened when i used to use boards on an really old version of netscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

the problem seems to be with several newer browsers as well
    previous post on same

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by seamus
    I'd think the fault may lie with the browser itself, but I may be wrong.

Older versions of Netscape don't display them properly, but Netscape 7 and Mozilla do, so that's why I think it must be browser non-compliance, as opposed to code non-compliance :)

I'm wide open to be proven wrong :)

I've tested them with a fair few browsers. They work with Netscape 4.7 +
    and Internet Explorer 4+

They don't work with the newest opera, but i blame some coder on their end, cos it works in the older ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

I've submitted a bug report to Apple. But I really think it's the javascript: several browsers don't work with it or don't show it correctly, including Chimera, OmniWeb, Apple's Safari, Navigator 6.2.3 for OS X and others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!

(click it ffs)

I read it. What's your point? It's not like that thread offers a solution.

Is it that you want us to end this thread and start adding to that one?

Ah jesus. It DOES offer a solution!

Boards.ie uses the javascript menu from milonic.co.uk. They're using an old version of the mmenu.js file. The solution: Take this and drop it over boards.ie's mmenu.js

Problem solved.

(I've done it myself here with an ad-blocking proxy & url redirection thingy, but it's an awful solution to something as simple as one wget command.)

OK, I stand corrected.

However, I have no idea what you mean by "dropping" the file "over" boards.ie's mmenu.js. How exactly do I do that? I've got the file, mmenu.js: what do I do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

phaxx's menu seems to work, so I'll look into getting a licence.

• Advertisement

Heh, I should have made myself clearer, it's a job for the admins, and they have, as you can see above, looked into it and agreed. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

On a similiar note, if anyone's having problems with the menu, try disabling ZoneAlarm Pro, if it's installed. Don't know why, but it prevents the menus from showing for more than a blink of the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Great stuff, I've never been able to get non IE to work the Javascript properly on my cool beans and rice Macintosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

We've bought that menu, and its installed, so hopefully all the javascript problems have gone away

Alas, they have not. Same problem in Apple Safari as well as a related problem in Chimera (not all piled up as in Safari, but not displayed properly).

I've filed a bug report with Apple, so maybe they'll take care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

wonderful - they have in opera 7

my life is worth living again.

thank you thank you...

Jumping back to opera7 now :)

Indeed, they now work in Most linux browsers aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thanks guys.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh for standards...

Well we've tried (we paid GOOD MONEY for that javascript! from our Coke and Hookers fund too!)

Hopefully its a bug that will be squashed in the browsers soon.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I get the feeling the Mods aren't going to get paid again this month... *sniff*

Did you get my bank account details? You haven't confirmed via email yet... And when I phone you guys up I keep getting transferred to someone claiming to be "immigration police" :confused:

oh and when I went to the Tax office to ask for a "P29b" form they didn't know what I was talking about. The closest they had to that was a "P29a" form which is for being back-taxed on earnings made through kitten sales. Should I fill this form in instead?

Oh ye, still doesn't work on my iCab for my Mac OSeXy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Are you saying that the inside pages work? but the front page doesnt?!?!

Its the same JS code... so I dont get that...

DeV.

I had a problem with it for a while, try clearing your cache, or if, like me, your going through a proxy, your gonna haveto wait until the proxy's copy gets refreshed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Opera 7 final build, and all is well again! :)

Mike.

Advertisement