Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! - reception problems or bad installation???

• 17-02-2003 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I got Sky installed 6 weeks ago.

Am noticing a few problems which seem to be getting slightly worse as time passes:

1. When Scrolling through channels, the EPG doesn't seem to be downoading the programme info. I just get 'Further schedule information is not available' on practically all the channels. When I scroll over them again later, all the info. is there!!

2. Pixeling - the reception of some channels is less than 100% - BBC particularly - very noticeable pixelling, particulary when there is fast movement on the screen e.g in a football match then the picture becomes very blurred and pixelled. This is evident on some other channels too. Very rarely on any of Sky's won channels though e.g Sky 1, Movies, Sport - all these are generally perfect.

3. Add channels - quite often when I try to Add channels manually I get 'No Signal Found' - this is after entering settings where I know there to be channels listed. Then after doing this a couple of times, when I Back-Up to some out I get 'No satellite Signal' and my whole system crashes - all channels are gone./ The onely way to get the EPG back is to switch the Digibox off and back on again.

None of these problems are 'life or death' but still I'm sure they shouldn't be happening in the normal run of things.

My Signal Strength is at about 65% constantly and the Signal Quality is a good bit higher at about 85%. Are these about right?

I'm wondering whether anyone else has experienced these kind of problems and if so whether you might have any insight about whats causing them? Dodgy cabling? Digibox? Dish? All three!!??

Is there any point in even calling Sky?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Say which box u have?

Have u done all the usual checks, cable to box, could be loose, cable from dish has it gone may bends, what type is it, anything obstructing dish, does pic get worse in rain, snow, wind, etc,

Do u know anyone who ahs sky near u and ask them if they are having problems.

What size is the dish, who installed it?

And on it goes.

gb--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭timpat

Its a new Pace box - small and white in colour. No idea about model numbers or anything that technical.

No - the weather doesn't seem to have any bearing on it.

The cable is ok into the Digibox. The dish is on the chimney and is unobstructed. I can't say about the connections up there though.

Yes - someone close by has Sky does not seem to have these problems.

The installers were Sierra Communications.

Any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

I'd say the box is faulty or the lnb at the dish end has got loose. Can't u get Sierra back out? Or test the box at a freinds house and if it is still an iffy picture then it is the box. U have a guarantee so get sky to replace or repair.

gb---

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by timpat
    The dish is on the chimney and is unobstructed. I can't say about the connections up there though.

Yes - someone close by has Sky does not seem to have these problems.

The installers were Sierra Communications.

Any ideas??

Sierra are not supposed to install on chimneys for starters, I'd get them back out to check installation and if possible mount the dish somewhere other than the chimney

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭timpat

Thanks for that guys
    I have this sinking feeling that it might be the box - wish I got a Panasonic!!! If the box turns out to be fawlty can I request a Panasonic replacement or am I stuck with PACE????

Looks like I will have to call it in to Sky and TRY to get Sierra back out to check over the installation(it was bit of rush job in the first place).

Can I take it though that your EPG dowloads instantaneously as you scroll and that you dont get this annoying "no further schedule information available" on all channels first?

Also I assume when I try to Add Channels my system should not crash giving me "No satellite signal found" when I try to get back to the EPG?

I'd just like to have my facts straight before I 'tackle' our friends in Sky!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Do installers think they are fitting Aerials? Most dishes here seem to be on Chimney or at upstairs window height.

Makes for slower installs and a pig to check the LNB connection etc.

I also think most don't realise the angle the dish *Appears" to point is nearly 20 degrees lower than the actual elevation. The reception path is about 24 degrees upward, so even at ground level you only have to be about twice the height of a wall away from it to get a clear signal. So even only 6ft up on wall you need to be less than 40ft away from the peak of roof (not the wall) neighbours house to the south.

LNBs may need replaced and often dish / lnb is not perfectly adjusted. Often the LNB / Coax connection is badly done or not properly sealed.

High up the LNB is more likely to fail from electrical distrubance / static in a storm.

High up the user can't decide to watch Astra1 / Hotbird instead as is perfectly legal right.

Maybe some of these cowboys trained on installing Chorus MMDS :-D

Advertisement