Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Anti-War Rally

Options
  • 17-02-2003 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Was anyone else down in Belfast over the weekend protesting against the war? I'm aware of the futility of such demonstrations and that if Blair had wanted to say what he really meant he would have said something like, "Isn't it great that we live in a country where people can demonstrate peacefully and we the government can ingore you completely?"

In a nutshell, I was there to pick up girls. That didn't work either.

Ho hum.

It was a good demo though. Who knows? Maybe they will listen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

I ****ing doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Axe

Man, peaceful protests like that never f***ing work! The only ones that do work are the ones that really p*** off the government, like blocking roads with people and stuff like that. Petitions don't work, demonstrations don't work, only violence works properly.

Think about it. If all of Britain and Ireland started rioting over it, The government would listen, coz it would be costing them too much money not to listen. They'd lose so much money over police, damage to property, healthcare, courtcases and stuff.

I am not inciting anything here, just making a point. Besides, it's against most of those protesters principles to use violence. After all, thats what they're protesting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

In fairness the amount of protesting that were seen in the likes of london, would have an effect of blairs decisions. Politics these days are very heabily based to opinion polls. The huge number of people voting were the ones who put blair into power, and he wants to keep it that way, hell need to be very careful about making decisions to go to war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

well they do work sometimes. back in the mid 80's when coca cola changed the taste of coke and no one liked it peaceful protests led to the old taste being brought back

anyone else see thgat whoe last night? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

tumbleweeds and a funeral pass by.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Sterile Fish

Petitions don't work, demonstrations don't work, only violence works properly.

as i was once told... you want world peace, then kill everyone. Unfortunately this world is so ****ed up that democracy is no longer functional, in this world violence gets you noticed, and it gets teh results, the old cliche of 'violence doesnt solve anything' is wrong, because quite frankly put, violence does solve problems, it may lead to other problems, but it solves the ones at hand. In no way am i condoning war, because to declare war on a country due to the stereo-type that its citizens are terrorist is ****ing pathetic. If Blair/Bush want to blow the **** out of Iraq, they will, it doesnt matter what UN inspectors find, and it doesnt matter what happens in airports in the next month, if they want a war, there is nothing that can stop them. Even if they dont have a true reason for war, they will make up a bull**** story to get public support. I reckon they WILL go to war and there is **** all any of us can do about it, i wish it werent so, but all i can do for it is move down south so i dont get drafted into the army and sent off to fight in a war that im against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Vlad Drac

in this world violence gets you noticed, and it gets teh results, the old cliche of 'violence doesnt solve anything' is wrong, because quite frankly put, violence does solve problems

Mr Fish ... how can u say violence solves problems? It hasn't worked here ... it just makes things worse and stirs more hatred

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by Vlad Drac
    Mr Fish ... how can u say violence solves problems? It hasn't worked here ... it just makes things worse and stirs more hatred

IMO it depends on what they are fighting for.... i.e. civil rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SloanerF1

Originally posted by Axe
    Man, peaceful protests like that never f***ing work! The only ones that do work are the ones that really p*** off the government, like blocking roads with people and stuff like that. Petitions don't work, demonstrations don't work, only violence works properly.

I couldn't disagree more! These non-violent options may seem "soft" because they don't involve acting like bloody-minded savages, but most modern governments (the current New Labour one being a prime example) are motivated entirely by winning votes. Therefore, if they see that their current policies will lose them the next election, they will change them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭poeticallydead

I don't know if any of you guys agree, but i believe america is wrong, i do believe that ALL countries should be moderated, even the super powers of the world, but why single out iraq, a country which has obliged with everything, but what about north korea, it has openly stated that they have nuclear weapons, but no, does mr.bush go and see if they could be a threat, no he finishes what daddy started, its all about pride, its not about saddam at all, its all about money, oil, propaganda, it really gets me frustrated, if anything i think its america that should have weapon inpesctors and a UN resolution to go with it. AARGH arrogant americans,

• Advertisement

Originally posted by poeticallydead
    what about north korea, it has openly stated that they have nuclear weapons, but no, does mr.bush go and see if they could be a threat, no he finishes what daddy started, its all about pride, its not about saddam at all, its all about money, oil, propaganda.

I couldn't agree more, especially since the North Koreans have made substantial threats against the Americans, and have admitted that they have nuclear weapons at their disposal. The failure of the Bush Administration to adjust their priorities in the wake of this definite threat clearly validates all the allegations that you have made.

i feel so smart, also rough

Was I the cause of either feeling? :)

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

the North Koreans have made substantial threats against the Americans

Yeah, it's just no fun picking on someone who has a fighting chance. Better pick on Iraq.

Okay, an opinion that won't make me that popular- I'm for this war. I'm not some psycho who reads Andy McNab novels (okay I do) and drools over weapons (hell, I don't even play CS). But the fact is Saddam is dictator. Many people argue that he's no threat to us and I'd agree but he is a threat to his own people. I'm fully aware that the war in Iraq will lead to casualties but I've noticed that Saddam has a nasty habit of commiting genocide every so often and I think he should be made to pay for it.
    I am not a rampant right leaning warmonger but I feel that too many people have immediately jumped on the Anti-war bandwagon, saying no to the war seems to be in style at the moment, if I see one more B-list celebrity blethering on about how Bush is a monster (he's not, just not very bright) I'll bomb Iraq myself.
    We shouldn't just stand to the side and allow Saddam to go unpunished. If I killed someone I'd go to jail. Saddam has killed thousands of Kurds and where does he go? A big palace in Bagdad. Riiiiight.
    Despite my view of the whole Iraq thing I have to admit something isn't right about how Blair and Bush are treating it. When the majority of the population is against something you can't just go ahead and do it anyway, that's one of the things about Democracy.

Bah. Go on and tell me how awful I am for wanting to stop Saddam.
    all i can do for it is move down south so i dont get drafted into the army and sent off to fight in a war that im against.
    Don't be stupid, this isn't Vietnam (an event were protests for peace were completely justified) there'll be no conscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Sterile Fish

There could be conscription, and if the war lasts long enough, there will be, if anything the protests against it will mean more likely conscription, Because no one will want to go out there, so instead, when the government starts to run low, they will start making people go out there, and when they do, Bin Laden will take advantage of the weakened defences and send his own army of terrorists into watever country he wants!

look saddam has no air force, a miserable army, yes this war is going to last long, this war is a shambles! Give me some solid evidence and i would be pro war! look saddam payed for being a dictator in the gulf war! he has done nothing since then! and who are the real targets! its iraqies (is that what they are?) that are going to bombed not saddam, he will go underground somewhere and whinge!

Advertisement