Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Arts

• 17-02-2003 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Just as a matter of interest....

Who does Martial Arts? And what type?

I study Shotokan Karate.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Taekwondo in college and INTA exchequer street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

Muay Thai in Hardwicke st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Taekwondo in college, used to do kenpo in firhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I do a bit of everything,

Tae Kown-do, WKO Sports Karate, Matsamura seito (shorun ryu I think, can't really remember!), I've done a tiny bit of Tai Chi and Judo.
    I train in DCU. Don't get the opportunity to train as often as I'd like :( Heavy worklopad! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Orlie
    I study Shotokan Karate.

ditto.

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 heat

Taekwondo in college as well as Kendo. Some kickboxing for fittness when I get the chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

never actually done a matial art, but i always wanted to, any way if i did start id probably give it up fairly quick, my attention span aint what it used to be.

anywhoo, i've done a lot of research on Jut Fan Jeet Kune-Do (bruce lee's hybrid/basterd (take your pick:) ) martial art) and i was wondering is there anyone who studies it or knows somewhere that does, its not that i want to learn it really i just want to find out a bit more about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I used to do Wadaru(spelled completely wrong i should think) but the club closed down due to lack of interest in 1 year it went from an average turn out of about 20 to an average of 3. Do any of ye know is there anywhere in the laois/offaly area that does it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Originally posted by smiles
    ditto.

<< Fio >>

double ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Does anyone know anywhere in d midlands that does capoeira??? I know trinity does but thats to far away??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Originally posted by Carbine
    anywhoo, i've done a lot of research on Jut Fan Jeet Kune-Do (bruce lee's hybrid/basterd (take your pick:) ) martial art) and i was wondering is there anyone who studies it or knows somewhere that does, its not that i want to learn it really i just want to find out a bit more about it.

I had a good read-up on various martial arts around the Net a while ago, and out of all them JKD did sound the most appealing. If anyone knows a place that does it, kindly post a link!

I don't study any martial arts at the moment (don't really have the time) but would like to take one up eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Been doing choy lay fut for the last year and a half or so (albeit more lazily than I'd like, but I guess most of us could say that)...

Did tae kwondo for 3 weeks or so when I was like.. 10, judo for 2 years not too long afterwards, tai chi for 2 years or so (though I can remember almost none of it now... weird that) until I was about 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Bu-jutsu for 12 years

Now doing Kenpo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Did Wado-Kai Karate for nearly 10 years and just takin up Tai-Chi. UCD is great for martial arts. So many of them.

Why dont they do Muay Thai ??? If thers so great :D:D:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Doing Ninjutsu now, did Judo before and will be doing Ju-Jutsu in the summer along with t3h n1Nj4 sK1||zZ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I'm sure if some body was willing to set up a Thai - Boxing club in UCD there would be good take up by the student body and people who wanted to train in an alive art, maybe this is your golden oppurtunity ?But there definately is a good range of martial arts to choose from in UCD everything from BJJ to Ninjutsu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I dunno, maybe coz it attracts the wrong sort....
    ;)

Originally posted by paddyc
    Why dont they do Muay Thai ??? If thers so great :D:D:)

from my limited knowledge of the art , I would think that the training is to tough for the wrong sort to keep attending for any period of time, I could be wrong how ever !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Am making an attempt at Pencak Silat. Interesting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Kodokan Judo

Coolmine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Originally posted by vasch_ro
    from my limited knowledge of the art , I would think that the training is to tough for the wrong sort to keep attending for any period of time, I could be wrong how ever !

yeah they learn enough to kick the ****e out of ya but not enough to learn control on when it's to be used, ask anyone doing martial arts for a few years what they would do if someone started on them 9/10 would say they would walk away

why?

because they know what they could do to the other person and would not want to do it unless it was nessecary i.e. he throws a punch instead of threating one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Used to do Tai Chai last year but stopped after things got too hectic.

Plan on taking it up again next year though...

Skyeirl

"""I dunno, maybe coz it attracts the wrong sort...."""

any elaboration on this ??

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Originally posted by Trebor
    yeah they learn enough to kick the ****e out of ya but not enough to learn control on when it's to be used, ask anyone doing martial arts for a few years what they would do if someone started on them 9/10 would say they would walk away

why?

because they know what they could do to the other person and would not want to do it unless it was nessecary i.e. he throws a punch instead of threating one.

lol

what do you learn in karate that gives you self control ?

what could you do to the other person that you wouldn't want to do ?

I've been going to Muay thai for about 7 weeks now.

trebor

How did I miss your post... yeah yeah yeah my sensi and his lovely belt says stay away from bad Muay Thai people cos they will show you eberything I have been showing you for years and charging you a fortune for doesnt work and never will... you muppet....

Thai is a ring sport not for hoods or bullies for one hoods and bullies wont stick to it cos the training is so hard..

thai style anytime

Originally posted by paddyc
    Thai is a ring sport not for hoods or bullies for one hoods and bullies wont stick to it cos the training is so hard..
    Hoods and bullies by their very nature tend to be weak in mind and often body.
    That's probably why nearly every time I got mugged when I was in secondary school, it was by some gangly, flimsy skinny moron who just happened to be a foot taller than me. :)

They tend to stick in groups or rely on a weapon (knife or just as bad, syringe) and hope that their other weapon, fear, will replace what they lack: courage, strength, intelligence and ability.

Any good teacher of martial arts (any martial art - they all require strength of the mind as well as body) would recognize someone like that in their class and ask them not to let the door hit them on the arse on the way out ;)

zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mr.Man

I have done tae-kwon do for years. Its brillient crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

ive tried a few arts but jeet kune do is by far the best imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

Hi,
    Aragorn is Jeet Kune Do hard to learn. And where r u doing it

nah its not too hard. me n a few others are practicing it in the south tipp area. just do a few searches for it on teh interweb and you should find answers to your questions. its mainly all about dedication and willingness to do it. i mean don't expect to go to one session and wake up the next morning and be a master - i'd be considered a reasonable advanced member and ive bein goin for about 2-3 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I used to do Bu-Jutsu although the art has since folded in Ireland. I've started doing Bujinkan ninjitsu in the last few weeks.

Bujinkan Info

Aragon.
    What town in south tipp as I live in south tipperary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by Brian Houlihan
    Aragon.
    What town in south tipp as I live in south tipperary

Are you generally intrested in the topic and thinking of starting Martial arts or self-defense?
    If not I ask you to take your discussion to the Regional Board or PM him.

However Aragon I have a question for you.
    What is this Jeet Kune Do and where in South Tipp do you practise this.

RunFree

Originally posted by Runfree

However Aragon I have a question for you.
    What is this Jeet Kune Do and where in South Tipp do you practise this.

I think that's what he asked... you just phrased it a little more politely :P

• Advertisement

Yes
    zynaps is correct. still no matter how we phrase it a reply from Ar would be nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Hi,
    Aragorn is Jeet Kune Do hard to learn. And where r u doing it

I studied Jeet Kune Do in Dublin, and I reckon it's the best overall martial art, as it takes something from every other art. The place I did it shut down, and I don't think there's any left in Dublin, although admittedly I haven't looked very hard.

Must do though...

It's as hard/easy to learn as any other martial art. Once you're committed to learning you will.

Yes
    zynaps is correct. still no matter how we phrase it a reply from Ar would be nice :)

Indeed it would be. but however as I was wrong I do apoligise for that.

So now too see when we will get this reply.

:)

ah sorry for the (extremely) late reply - as or the answer to the question - my cousin was teachin it too me n a few others (friends mainly) as he's bein doin it for years n years now over in the states. unfortunately he's gone back to the states after stayin here for a few years. we did it in cloneen (near thurles) in the sports hall sometimes - but it altered. if you just google for it you're bound to find something. i got a few videos for it to finish off my last bit of training for it (been doing it for about 4 n a half years now). if you're really interested in it, find some videos if you can't travel to a session - they're good and teach clearly...
    again sorry for the late reply....hope this has been some help..

Cheers Spike,

I also done a search on the web and found out that it was Bruce Lee's style aswell. There is something I never knew.

RunFree

• Advertisement

Well.... he created it from the other martial arts he knew and what he'd learned fighting, I guess. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Code Ninja

I did Bujutsu for 3 years ( with lemming and myself kick the hell out of each other when we were supposed to be sparring)

then did Choy Lay Fut for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 imad

i used to know a guy who was in to Pencak Silat...
    he thought it was great fun!
    where do you train??
    in dublin?
    if so, can you give me the adress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's a guy in Firhouse called Guru Liam McDonald, I don't have any contact details though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

I know this is an old post. But I can't leave this...
    Runfree wrote:
    Cheers Spike,

I also done a search on the web and found out that it was Bruce Lee's style aswell. There is something I never knew.

RunFree

or this...
    zynaps wrote:
    Well.... he created it from the other martial arts he knew and what he'd learned fighting, I guess.

This claim by many that JKD is the martial art of Bruce Lee is bull. JKD has a concept in fighting. It was not a Martial Art in itself and this misconception of what it was, was why Lee closed his MA schools.

As well as the above reason, he was getting to the point where teaching was not developing his skills any further. And he also wanted to follow his movie dream.

What JKD has become is a MA cult for people to use lineage to Bruce as a way of giving them cred. They call it the Martial Art of Bruce Lee?? Impossible, Lee is dead and the only person that could teach the MA of BL was BL. If Dan Inosanto is teaching it then it his own JKD same for Jerry Poteet, Paul Vunak etc, etc, etc,...

The Way of The Intercepting Fist is just that and no more.

you obviously felt strongly about this topic to revive this thread !!

What about guys like Dan Insanto what are they teaching just the concepts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

vasch_ro wrote:

Dan Inosanto is teaching from his experience. Which included the work he done with BL. I don't disrespect these MA'ists just how they represent what they are teaching.

From what i have seen DI does not call what he does Bruce Lee's JKD (or Jun Fan JKD) and he a true Professor of the MA's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

imad,

I would, in no way shape of form advise anyone to take up practicing Pendak Silat. It is in my experience the most dangerous mentality I have come across in Martial Arts. The unhealthy obsession with swords and knives, to the point of deification, and the ardent believe you can turn into animals or black clouds is not a place I'd recommend for anyone.

Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

vasch_ro wrote:
    you obviously felt strongly about this topic to revive this thread !!

JKD is a concept not a set of techniques.

Dabhal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Back to the topic:
    I did a little Krav Maga, I did a few months of TKD in college before the club collapsed, I then did a college year and a half (college year being september to may) of judo unfortunatly I never graded.
    When I first came to Kuopio (finland) I had to start in the beginners section of the judo club again, it was hell because they wouldn't speak english to me unless I had made a mistake and my classmates didn't really try to translate for me (it was also at awkward times).
    I've been doing Han Moo Do (Chi Woo Do), since september.

• Advertisement
Advertisement