Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Arts

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

imad,

I would, in no way shape of form advise anyone to take up practicing Pendak Silat. It is in my experience the most dangerous mentality I have come across in Martial Arts. The unhealthy obsession with swords and knives, to the point of deification, and the ardent believe you can turn into animals or black clouds is not a place I'd recommend for anyone.

Colm

Jeez Colm.. dont hold back there mate! ;)

I've been doing (and really enjoying) silat for several months now. Yes I've had some basic knife training, but (so far at least) it has focused on the need to be very bloody wary of knives (i.e. run like hell if you have a chance), accept the fact that if you're attacked by someone who has *any* clue how to use the knife then you will be cut, so protect your arteries first & foremost.

And for the spiritual side.. well.. that certainly is not for everyone. Personally I think it appeals to me as I've always been a wee bit of a pagan deep down..

There's also the 'bela diri' aspect of pencak silat which is pure self defence applications. Kinda like the philosophy behind krav marga I guess, nothing overly fancy, just what works. (hopefully! ;) )

imad - if all that hasn't put you off - for info check out http://www.silatireland.com altho I know the site is down for updates at the mo So just I'll throw out some details: training is in firhouse on mon & wed nights, lucan on tuesdays & sheldon park leisure centre (kylmore/walkinstown) on thursday. Liam Macdonald ph: 087 9956569

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

imad,

I would, in no way shape of form advise anyone to take up practicing Pendak Silat. It is in my experience the most dangerous mentality I have come across in Martial Arts. The unhealthy obsession with swords and knives, to the point of deification, and the ardent believe you can turn into animals or black clouds is not a place I'd recommend for anyone.

Colm

whoooaaa there big mon!! I've an idea of where youve got your impressions of silat from and your comments are probably wholly justified in that instance :D . HOWEVER making a sweeping statement like that is completely unjustified if based on one instance.

Theres an unnumerable number of styles of silat out there from many different cultures and countries, they run a whole gamut of styles and philosophies or religious bent: hindu, sufi, animism, christian, non denominational. I dont practice silat but ive been peripherally exposed to some styles and the sheer beauty of the movement and the character of its practitioners alway struck me. I'm sure its a lot like ninjutsu in that some flavours appeal to fantasists who like the lethal-black magic-mysterious carry on but thats no reason to tar all silat practitioners with one brush

this site has a page that touches on the subject if anyones interested:
    http://www.pencaksilat.com/disclaimer.html

Advertisement