Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 2000 server problem

• 17-02-2003 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Does any one know is it possible to install win 2k server service pack 3 over win 2k professional service pack2 whit out losing your program files

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

each OS can upgrade an earlier one, the relationship is normally server over server pro over pro.

you may try..because it will simply refuse to do it I think

boot into pro, login as admin, in with server cd, hit setup press upgrade and see.

IF it DID do it it would take the program settings and dlls with it, I believe it won't

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

no its not possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

ahhh but it is.

there is no difference in the system files of win2k and win2k server(sbs, advance server and datacentre are different). all you need is a registry patch and bobs you uncle. you can change server to professional and vice versa.

now all i need to do is remember the name of the program that does it.

give me some time and ill dig it up.

[edit]
    Got it, its called NTSwitch. finding it to download is pretty damn hard though as microsoft went ape**** when they found out about it. I give no guarantees that it will not fux0r you system but in theory it should allow you to do it.
    [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

2k service packs are all the same so it's no problem

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

.....i would be surprised if everything went perfectly well......what programs have you got installed...if it is MS Office that will be fine but other third party products may not sit too well with the upgrade

why not try it out on an old pc first and see if it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Ihave MS office, clone cd, dvdx, divx, real player, winamp,powerdvd and a view others

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by DiscoStu

[edit]
    Got it, its called NTSwitch. finding it to download is pretty damn hard though as microsoft went ape**** when they found out about it. I give no guarantees that it will not fux0r you system but in theory it should allow you to do it.
    [/edit] [/B]

Just tried the program you mentioned on a desktop I have here and bobs your uncle! W2k Pro to W2k Server
    :p and no thankfully the PC didn't fall over and die

Advertisement