Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Entertainment System

Options
  • 17-02-2003 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Hi ok, I need some of your expertise, I'm buying a lcd projector(panasonic AE100), now I need a dvd home cinema system.

What I want:

I want a good system with plenty of power, I like to raise the volume. I want a high end system but it doesn't have to be the best out there my hearing isn't that senistive.

I want a DVD player that will give my projector the best picture, So I take it I'l need one with progression scan.

I want to connect my sky box and a ps2 to the system so I can get full use of the whole lot.

So what system will let me do all this for under €2000.
    Its hard to get some of this equipment in ireland but I can get any sony product so if theres a sony product which will do all I want. I'd really apprectiate some one telling waht it is?

Plus can anyone tell me what cables etc i will need.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Thats a nice price range to get something thats gonna be pretty decent... if you're strictly sticking to that budget I'd go for around 600 for the speakers, 500 for amp/receiver and 600 for the DVD, 50 on speaker cable, 50 on interconnect between DVD and receiver, and you're talking another 40 or so for decent stands for the front pair... that wouldn't include a sub though, but depending on the size of the target room, that might not always be ideal (either way around 250 for a top quality box).

Take a look at the Marantz 5200 for the receiver... I'd skimp a little on this side of things, cos with the projector video quality is what you really want to shine.. so in terms of top quality DVD players at that price I've heard great things about the Pioneer DV656.. SACD/DVD-Audio/Prog-scan, the works... and for a projector setup you'll really benefit from the prog. scan, and the component video (the PTAE100 has component-in).

Richer Sounds do decent speaker packages... take a look at their site regards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

thanks a million for you reply Kali, I really appreciate it.

just a few more things.

IS there anywhere in ireland where I can get my hands on this, I think I read somewhere that theres a Richer Sounds in ireland??.

Or is there any good shops around dublin city??.

Will I be able to connect my ps2 and sky box to the type of system you described.

also is it hard to set up the amp to the dvd and the speakers etc??

Oh and does anyone disagree with my choice of projector??

Thanks again I really appreciate the help

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Kali,

I have to fully agree with your recommendations. However I would push the boat out and maybe go for the 6300 Marantz reciever. Will cost a bit more but more power and a better AV amp.

Irish1 you can find richersounds at http://www.richersdounds.com

As for speakers you should consider either one of the Mission cinema packs (basically a full speaker package - 2 fronts, centre and 2 rears) or the KEF package - but you will have to pick up a sub as well. BTW dont skimp on the sub - it will make a big difference on your system. Go for one of the REL subs.

Make sure your amp supports 6.1 surround - and then buy 4 rear speakers to take advantage of the sound. I upgraded from the standard 2 channel surround to the 4 channel and the differnece is unreal.

One other peice of advice buy whathifi. Has loads of reviews and will steer you in the right direction.

If you need any other info shout.

I think I read somewhere that theres a Richer Sounds in ireland??.
    - web site in my last post. They are located in both Dublin and Cork. Also try hifi corner beside the virgin megastore.
    Will I be able to connect my ps2 and sky box to the type of system you described.

Yes... Ps2 via an optical input (I presume) and the sky box via 2 phono connects.
    also is it hard to set up the amp to the dvd and the speakers etc??

No... the DVD needs to be connected via a digital connector (either optical or coax connect). Speakers are very easy to connect however make sure you Bi Wire them if the speakers support it (which they will). Go here for more info or do a google search for BiWire speakers.

Also before you buy from Richersounds check out some UK sites. Lots of them ship to Ireland and you'll have more of a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by irish1

IS there anywhere in ireland where I can get my hands on this, I think I read somewhere that theres a Richer Sounds in ireland??.

Check out http://www.richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

thanks for the replys I really appreciate it, just one more question.

I'm going to install this setup in a new house,( it's only a field at the moment), I was hoping to pipe sound into all rooms nothing major just something that you can hear. I will only want to pipe cd's or the radio into the rooms. Should I just buy a good HI-Fi and work it completely indepentl or can I work it throught the amp reciever??

Also I didn't see the Marantz reciever on Richersounds, Ialtough I presume they would get it in for me ya??

Any advice on a Projector screen??

Thanks for all the help.

:D

Irish1 I was in same position as you 2 years ago - building a house. What you want to do is buy all your wire (good stuff) for your sitting room. Draw out a plan (think carefully). Give this to your electrician who will run the rear wires via a "conjegute (spelling) to your back walls. This will mean you connect your speakers on the back wall and you'll have no wire showing. Make sure to wire for 4 surround (back) speakers for full 6.1 setup - or maybe setup for 7.1 which is the next format.

Also think about wiring extra speakers around the house. I have wiring from the sitting room to the kitchen and also to the bedroom upstairs. What you can then do is buy a speaker switch which will switch your music upstairs/kitchen ect ect...

The thing to remember when wiring your house is to cover every eventuality. It will be much harder to chase wires around the house after your plastering is done.

Also bring down at least 4 coax from your attic to your sitting room. This will allow you to have 2 sky digiboxes or sky + at a later date and will provide a return for the rest of the house back up to the attic.

The advantage of buying the Marantz reciever is it is excellent for both Hifi and movies. Usually you have to compromise on the Hifi if you buy Yamaha or Sony but not with Marantz. Richersounds have the Marantz 6200.. go to their website.. go to homecinema.. and then Amps and recievers... there you will find the Marantz SR6200/SR7200.

Anything else let me know.

Also I didn't see the Marantz reciever on Richersounds,

Was this the receiver you were looking for? http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/Viewproducts.asp?F=True&ProductID=3221&CatID=37

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

If you are going for the Pioneer Dv656 as Kali suggests, i would recommend getting it from www.techtronics.com
    I got it recently from there and it worked out €100 cheaper than Richer Sounds even with courier delivery included.

Originally posted by mbroaders
    If you are going for the Pioneer Dv656 as Kali suggests, i would recommend getting it from www.techtronics.com
    I got it recently from there and it worked out €100 cheaper than Richer Sounds even with courier delivery included.

Did you buy the modified version? what was the total price from Techtronics including delivery.?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Got the Standard Multimod. Have no need for the Macrovision Mod.

Total Cost Inc Delivery From Techtronics €554
    Cost From Richer Sounds Ex Delivery €649.99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Guys

Is the Pioneer DV 656 progressive scan, cant find any ref to this in the reviews I have read.?

Vex.

aye Vex it is.

err I've no idea if its actually new or refurbished.. but this crowd are selling the dv656 for $179!
    over 3 times cheaper than RS :)

http://www.wholesaleconnection.com/productdetails.aspx?Product=2137

god bless google.

Nothing on their site about international shipping though. :(

Theres a big telephone number in the corner though, I'd reckon they'd ship a few over if you got onto them :)

Ok I've been doing a very large ammount of reasearch on the home cinema scene and I have another question:

Would a all in one system like the Sony DAV-S550 (tech spec below) be any challenge to the system kali described with the individuals.

Any advice??

Component out (Progressive NTSC, interlaced PAL)
    Video output
    PAL to PAL
    NTSC to NTSC

Main features
    Complete DVD Home Theatre System
    Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1ch Receiver
    Dolby Prologic ll
    MP3 CDR Playback
    New on-screen menu
    Component Video Out
    Super Audio CD Multi Channel Playback
    S-Master Full Digital Amplifier
    Total 350W : 80W x 5 + 100W (RMS 10%)
    New Slim & Stylish Design
    FM/AM RDS tuner

Technical spec
    Amplifier
    Power Output (RMS 10%): Front 2x80W
    Power Output Surround (RMS 10%): Center/Rear 80W/2x80W;Subw:100W
    Power Output (DIN): Front 2x60W
    Power Output Surround (DIN): Center/Rear 60W/2x60W;Subw:80W
    CD-R/RW playback Yes
    Amplifier digital Yes
    Decoder: Dolby Prologic/Dolby Prologic 2/Dolby Digital/DTS Yes
    Input/output
    Headphone output/headphone impedence Yes/8 ohm
    Subwoofer output 1 (active)
    Audio in/out 2/1
    Video in/out 2/1 (1x Component video out)
    Monitor output (oicture): FBAS/S-Video 1/1
    S-Video out 1
    Digital in 1
    Integrated Audio Units
    Tuner Yes
    CD player/DVD +SACD/Yes
    Speakername (Front/centre/rear) 2xSS-TS503/1xSS-CT503/2xSS-TS503

The only problems I can see with that sort of setup is that there isn't much in the way of video inputs.. you'd have your Skybox and PS2 connected and thats it... anything else (TV/VCR etc.) and some cable swapping is in order.

Also the video is linked to the audio inputs.. so by the looks of the spec. below you couldnt connect another audio device (granted you could use the digital-in).

I do like the specs. though, they're pretty good... component out, prog. scan, all ideal for a projector setup.

Sonys are pretty hard to mod as well, if multi-region is necessary (its definitely desirable anyway), techtronics.co.uk are pretty good for that type of thing though (ive no idea if they stock the 550 tho).

Hi thanks again Kali for the reply, I found a review of this guy last night, it's the highest end of the sony complete system:
    it's the Sony Dav-S880

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-sony-dav-s880-multi-region-dvd-player.html

What you think??

Irish1.. no. an all in 1 system will never compete with seperates. Even though the sony is excellent.

• Advertisement

Well I have finally decided more or less on my system.
    It's :

Projector: Panasonic AE-100 €1300 at sigth and sound
    DVD: Pioneer 656A €600 Richersounds
    Receiver: Marantz SR6200 €600 Richersounds
    Speaker System: Elac Cinema 5.1: €600 Richersounds

And Maybe:
    Tuner: Marantz ST4000 €170 Richersounds
    Might Buy a Hi-Fi to pump the radio around the house,
    What you think?

So give me your thoughts on my final system, I know I can buy this cheaper in UK but Richersounds in Cork will do me a good deal.

Below you will see the house plan of the kithcen and the sitting room Reall I'm going to try and put this into my sitting room as putting it into my dining room won't be appropiate due the the open plan conservatory letting in so much light.

the sitting room is 4.6 meters by 3.6 meters.

Any Ideas on locating my setup.

Thanks for all the help

Nearly all receivers have a built in tuner, I'd bet the SR6200 is no different :)

Originally posted by Kali
    Nearly all receivers have a built in tuner, I'd bet the SR6200 is no different :)

I dont think this one has, anyone know anything about the Pioneer VSX-D811S???

I dont think this one has, anyone know anything about the Pioneer VSX-D811S???

I just got a full spec it does have a tuner sorry for the useless last post

DVD: Pioneer 656A €600 Richersounds

excellent
    Receiver: Marantz SR6200 €600 Richersounds

excellent
    Speaker System: Elac Cinema 5.1: €600 Richersounds

I would do a bit more looking around before deciding on the Elac. Buy whathifi... check reviews. I would go for Mission personally... you would benifit by spending a bit more on the speakers imo.
    Might Buy a Hi-Fi to pump the radio around the house,

You dont need it... just buy a high quality speaker switch box to pump sound around the house.

I think we all deserve an invite round mow for a movie and beers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

A house-warming. With those speakers and sub-w pumping at full volume it should be no time before the house heats up.

OOPS

On the Pioneer 656.. apparantely it doesnt have PAL Prog-scan... only when playing NTSC (Region 1 DVDs)... just to be aware of it.. in fact I don't even know if the PAL version supports NTSC prog. scan, but the NTSC version definitely does... damn confusing reviews ;)

No problem lads if your ever in Tullow just call in. mind you it will be a few months theres only a field there at the mo.

Any ideas on a DVD player with Pal Prog scan that will rival the Pioneer????

DaveG
    I know the mission are normally better but I have read some great reviews about the Elac

system it packs a lot of power too.

I like the Mission FS2AV they look superb but they don't carry the same power.

I like the Mission M72 Cinema Pack but theres no sub so thats getting a bit expensive (mind

you I'm not a big Sub fan although I know the sound would be very flat without one).
    What you think about the Mission M70 Pack a bit dear too but got some good reviews although

it doesn't seem to have the same power as the M72?

What would you go for?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Irish1,

I've had an Ae100 since last April and am very happy with it and its price/performance ratio. Although I have to say that if I was buying this year I'd be looking at the Sony HS10 or the Panny AE300 which when they go on sale here soon will be around the same price I paid for my AE100 last April. Technology progresses so fast these days! Seeing though as you are paying half what I paid just 10 months ago you should definately have no complaints on the price/performance ratio front!

I would say to you though that you should make sure you can sit 1.8-2 times screen width back from the screen so as not to see the pixel structure/chickenwire effect. My seating position is 1.5 ie (Screen width=7ft, seating position=11ft back => Scr/width ratio=1.5) and the visible pixel structure is a little annoying on bright scenes(sky,cloud etc). Thats why I will be rearranging the room shortly and will be able to sit 14ft back (scr/width 7.5, S/Pos=14ft => ratio=1.8).
    k.jpg
    l.jpg
    p.jpg
    s.jpg
    u.jpg
    ee.jpg
    x.jpg
    bb.jpg
    I'll be building in shelves for the Dvds at the back of the room where the screen is now and the PJ will be mounted on one of the upper shelves. The screen will be hidden behind a new curtain pellmet(sp?) in front of the window with the av rack staying where it is under the screen. I'm also upgrading my Sony DB930 receiver to a new silver Sony DB1080 which does PrologicII and 6.1. My mission 73c will now be moved to centre rear duties and be replaced by a mission m5c and the Mission 733 fronts will be replaced by m52's. Next on the agenda will be to get NTL digital and hopefully a silver digibox! At the moment I'm having to use a PS2 for dvds via s-video and surprisingly enough its not bad! Gave my Sony 335 to bro and got a Sony n305 for free but the mother took that!! What I'm really waiting for is a Pal progressive capable HDD/Dvd Recorder which I'm told should be available in the next 4-5 months. I was thinking of the Panny HS2 but the hardrive is only 40gigs and its only NTSC prog scan:o

My credit card is going to take some hit in the next few months!!Jesus, its an expensive hobby. Please God I wont get the upgrade bug for another few years after that lot!!:D

Advertisement