Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering adding applied maths at this point (a week before the mocks)

Options
  • 17-02-2003 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I'm doing ordinary english, and am pretty crap at it too. I'd like something to replace this, so I'm considering adding an extra subject at this point.

I expect to get around 50% in english, which should yield an impressive 10 points.

Now, it has been suggested to me that I take an extra subject, such as applied maths, and aim to pass it at honours level, which would yield 40 points - assuming I get a D3.

My other relevant subjects are Maths (Ordinary) which I'm reasonably good at, and Physics (Honours) which I'm quite good at (80%+)

My plan would be just get the papers, work from that with my physics teacher and earn a pass or slightly more.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this situation? It could be a good way to make up for lost marks on one of the six subjects that would be counted.(I'm doing very little in Irish and English, both ordinary level and I will pass both anyway)

[edit] oh yes, and I do realise there's no point taking it for the mocks... :)[/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hmmmmm....well Im doing Applied Maths/Honours MAths/Honours Physics atm and I would say A. Maths is quite a hard subject. I wouldnt recommend taking it up if you're doing pass maths.

How about Home economics:Social and Scientifc?

You see you have to learn the formulas, and then the methods of doing the questions. Im aiming for quite a high grade so I couldnt tell you what you'd need for a pass in honurs, maybe all you need are the formulas.

On the plus side there are 10 topics on the course, which come up every year as the same question eg Q1-Linear velocity. You only have to answer 6.

The more I think about it, if you need the points then take it up, you are gaurenteed the topics you studied and it has a lot of basis on physics. It seems I've completley contradicted myself. But I wouldnt take up any extra subject if its going to take away seriously from you're other subjects.

BTW someone in my year joined A.maths 3 weeks ago and hes doing fine, but hes very good at maths.

Sorry if I've just confused you more :)

ASk if you need more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

It would help you a lot with the maths in your physics course..

But having said that, if you're just looking for points i'd try business.. Most of it is learning off paragraphs, there's nothing complicated to it just a LOT of learning =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Social and scientific is sooo much harder then applied maths. Its next to impossible to fail applied maths. So little people do it they don't want to put more people off of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Mr irl check your pms its urgent !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I know many people doing both Honours level Physics and Honours applied maths and they find it very hard!
    And the've had it thought by a very good teacher for a year and a half.

Perhaps Geography might be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

With pass maths i'd say doing applied maths is probably a bit too hard for you. If this was the start of the school year then it would be possible.

I do think there are easier subjects to get a decent grade in with very little work. Don't even consider social or geography, the courses are bloody massive and you'd have to cram tons.

However you could try taking up economics. I took it up as an extra subject last year and got a B1, considering i did little or no work for it and very little of the stuff i wanted to come up came up, i was delighted. I did a lot more work for other subjects like maths and chemistry and only got a C1 and B2 in them. If you live in Cork you can even have my notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

geography technically has a large course, but the paper is extremely predictable. i'd say it or business are your best options for a subject to take up this year.
    parently agricultural science is really easy too altho very few schools do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Okay, so everyone thinks it would be too hard to pass it at honours, right?

Home economics was suggested to me, because apparently it's mostly common sense... any thoughts there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Any of my friends doing home ec seem to have pages and pages of notes on horrible topics (8 a4 pages on milk? MILK?) so I wouldnt really recommend it :)

If you have an interest in history (and have a somewhat decent memory) it'd be very easy for you.

If you can grasp some simple principles and are prepared to spend a bit of time studying you should be able to get a good grade in business / economics.

Did you do geog for the JC? If you did youll already know the mapreading section and that counts for 25% of the paper...so that might also be a choice :E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by phaxx
    Okay, so everyone thinks it would be too hard to pass it at honours, right?

Home economics was suggested to me, because apparently it's mostly common sense... any thoughts there?

Unless you're doing biology and/or business, I wouldn't recommend it. It's basically the easy parts of these two courses, baked in with a bit of Food Science.

I did geography for the JC, liked it, got a B. Made a very poor attempt at the only question where one has to *write* something, which is probably why I hate it at this level, it's not for me. Having said that, I've done a good bit of work for it already and I intend to get a C in it. (It's not quite as scary now that I've gone over the exam papers)

Anyway, perhaps this is a good discussion for another thread...

I still intend to look at the applied maths papers this week and see what I think of it. I'll let you lot know.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Well just looking at the papers wont help, they may aswell be in 'geographese' if you haven't done any samples/formulas. But I'd say do Geog.

Field Study is GAURANTEED every year- just learn one
    Map Work is same as the JC
    Physical learn 3/4 good answers, same always come up eg rivers
    Regional learn 3/4 answers and you'll be grand!

I am doing geography, dislike it though.

Anyway, looked over the applied maths papers and through a textbook today. It's a bit icky and I don't think I'll take it up, just put more effort into other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Post up what subjects your doing there phaxx, and the order in which you think you'll do best. (If you want)

See if we can get some college peeps to give you a hand with your weaker subjects :)

Phyiscs: Honours: A
    French: Honours: C
    Engineering: Honours: I have no idea. D/C
    Geography: Honours: D/C again.

Maths: Ordinary: A
    English: Ordinary: D/C
    Irish: Ordinary: (Why bother? :D) D

LCVP: No idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

To be honest applied maths has more to do with phsics then honors maths. That said you would be handycapped for the differential equations (all that intergration stuff) Its very simple with honors maths i haven't a clue if they do it in pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

How about Hons. History.

(Nobody say anything we'll get to see him collapse):D

What about instead of trying to learn a whole new subject try and study the english.

But if that's not goin' to happen try a business subject (Except Accounting) *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Have you considered Chemistry?
    Apparently its a very small course compared to physics, and you seem to be better at sciences than langauges.

Nah, I've decided not to take anything extra and just put more work into other things, like geography. *spit*

Thanks for everyone's advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by phaxx

Irish: Ordinary: (Why bother? :D) D

As Gaeilge mod I must reply... :rolleyes:

Why bother?

Well... it's a nice language, it's relatively easy to learn (compared with, say, French, Spanish, Swahili, Japanese,... :D ) and ... POINTS!

Im sorry did you say easy to learn???

What about the f***ing T. Gin???

/me pulls out my hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Originally posted by PHB
    Have you considered Chemistry?

Ugh - i did chemistry for a month at the start of this year then dropped it. I really dont recommend it unless you have to do it for college reasons. The course is a LOT larger than economics / business and would require a lot more effort to get a good grade in imo :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

to be honest id say that taking uo a subject this late in the year would be damned near impossible, but good luck with whatever you decide :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 crevan

You want to start Exam Cramming dude. I say go for it. You can definitely pull a D3 out of the bag in the next few months
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 poppygirlx

I'm doing ag science,
    its the easiest science subject but i hate it!!
    others find it easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marooose

I wouldn't personally chance it. I'm doing Honours Maths, and Physics, and I find Applied Maths a great subject, but I think it would be impossible to take it at this point if you only have Ordinary Maths. I know someone who got a B1 in Applied Maths after only doing it for three months, but they did have Honours Maths. I don't know if it would be worth your while, something like Biology or Agg Science would be better?
    Hope you work something out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

tbh people on this dont know how good/bad you are at maths so they cant make this call for you! talk to an app. maths teacher and they will know in 20mins if your up to it!

Really you should do this and nothing else for the moment!!

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Don't take it because you will mess up your study timetable and you will have a massive amount of work to do in order to catch up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marooose

unknown13 wrote: »
    Don't take it because you will mess up your study timetable and you will have a massive amount of work to do in order to catch up.

im with you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement