Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does motherboard make beep noise's with no components in it?

• 17-02-2003 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Bought new motherboard(abit SA7),
    plugged power in (both connectors) and also speaker,
    did NOT plug in processor,memory or graphics card.
    Power'd it on (led came on) but no sound
    as in no beeps.

It should beep right? does this mean the motherboard is damaged?

thanks
    toil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Why did you do that ????

It beeps on an error it may have lost count of the errors and just not beeped.

Try it with some parts in.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Why did you do that ????

i agree, WTF did you boot a board with no CPU?

maybe put a cpu and ram in 1st, and sure go mad and put a graphics card in too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you have all the components to build a pc, and you intend to do it.. you might as well go ahead and build the thing rather than try it with no components and then wonder why its not working... Its like a car with no engine.. hey it wont turn on.

Only reason you should have done what you did is if you tried them all and the system did not boot so for troubleshooting purpose.

Anyway as for your question.. it depends on the board!! Usually but not always if you have nothing in it you will get a Beep, even if there is no cpu but at the very least put the cpu in it. The board may not have an onboard speaker.. or maybe it does and its dissabled.. Oh and watch out... MY board for instance has onboard sound and the default setting is not beep codes but a voice that TELLS you whats wrong.. very nice of it but if you dont have your speakers in the onboard sound it does not help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The Board should only POST (Power On Self Test) if it's working correctly and has correctly installed RAM and CPU.

Otherwise it'll be silence with no sound or lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

heh if im missing a part like the graphics card, my motherboard talk to me and tells me to put one in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

sounds like you are another asus convert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

well considering this is only my second mobo, and considering this mobo kicks ass. ya could probably call me an asus virgin :D

I have the Asus A7V333 and its pretty damn cool

When i had the voice codes enabled, when i turned it on it said something like "System power on self test complete, now booting to operating system" that was nice... For a while and then in went the SB live and i turned it off. Still a cool board though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

yes Saruman i did try it with mem,cpu and graphics card.
    Nothing happened.
    Have plugged a speaker into mother board.

So at this stage i am trying to work out if the motherboard is ok! :-(

But my prob is i dont know about the cpu either!

toil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Originally posted by toil
    Power'd it on (led came on) but no sound
    as in no beeps.

When you say 'powered it on' do you mean that you just connected the power supply or do you mean you connected and pressed the ON switch as well?

(No offence intended BTW, some people really do need this kind of advice)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Do you get any beeps with just the CPU, PSU and CPU fan connected?

As a general rule a board will not beep without a CPU, and will beep if you have the CPU fitted and it's working but you have no RAM or Graphics card connected.

Try booting with the board resting on the anti-static bag it comes with. Not an ideal solution but it will prevent the board from shorting out against your case if that's the problem.

So if you have your board sitting outside the case on the table with the PSU and CPU connected and you're getting no beeps from the on-board or attached speaker then you can safely assume the motherboard or CPU is the problem. Check all the jumpers on the board and all connections also.

after you try all that... borrow a cpu from someone and try it. Oh this is a silly question but by any chance did you happen to power the system on with the cpu in but without heatsink or fan or both?

Advertisement