Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dot Net

Options
  • 17-02-2003 11:49pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone using .NET.

Whats your opinions on it, useability, available resources.

Personally I find it good. Changes the way I programmed in VB but find the help once again useless, very limited examples etc.

Any good books recommeded or sites

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Anything by Wrox press is usually good. Although pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Anything by Wrox press is usually good. Although pricey.
    Good God No! Their books are soooo full of mistakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

<AOL>Me too!</AOL>

My experience of Wrox books has not been a pleasant one. Luckily there have been a few cases were I've read the specs before seeing a Wrox book on the same subject, and that has made it clear to me that as a rule they are not to be trusted.

There is also a strange thing that happens with the writing style of many of them. Frequently computer books either suffer from a "we're mad l33t 'real' programmers us" snobbery or a "don't worry your pretty little newbie head about that" patronising attitude. Wrox books often manage the impressive feat of having both flaws at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

From what my cow-orker tells me, the O'Reilly stuff is, as usual, pretty good.

They also have an online subscription service, which is cheaper if you only want to "rent" books for a while, but if you like having your bookshelf beside you, then paper is the way to go.

http://safari.oreilly.com if you're interested in checking it out. First two weeks are free, or so it says.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

.Net is quite good. I like the ASP forms project.
    C# is nice takes a bit of getting used to
    I like the way everything is exposed

one thing I don't like is the lack of edit and continue

ohh and the strange immediated window in c#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

C# is nice takes a bit of getting used to
    Yep but its easy to get used to...
    one thing I don't like is the lack of edit and continue
    This is very true but hey it makes you try and get it right first time round :).
    ohh and the strange immediated window in c#
    Whats strange about it? I have no problems at all.

Other than that I think .Net is a huge jump in the right direction from Microsoft hell you can even run .NET on FreeBSD and Linux for heavens sake....

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Hmmm I like the wrox books because they cover alot of topics. Usually with O Reilys you need to buy a few more books because they only run through the stuff.

Course source code is usually best

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Hmmm I like the wrox books because they cover alot of topics.
    Being wrong about lots of different things at the same time is not a virtue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I can to a degree understand how this sort of thing happens. Publishers are just that - publishers, which means where it comes to technical expertise they are at the mercy of some serious bulls**ters out there. I reviewed a chapter for one publisher about two years ago and was only two pages into it when I began to find it familiar. I walked over to my bookcase, picked up another book and found the exact same chapter in there. The author of the new version hadn’t even bothered to change variable names...

Still, this is all a bit off-topic, methinks.

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    I reviewed a chapter for one publisher about two years ago and was only two pages into it when I began to find it familiar. I walked over to my bookcase, picked up another book and found the exact same chapter in there. The author of the new version hadn’t even bothered to change variable names...

That's nothing. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0595132308/qid=1045592040/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-8489481-0045538?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 is a book where the author didn't even agree to it being published!
    Still, this is all a bit off-topic, methinks.

Em yep. Em... so, this Dot Net thingy? em...

• Advertisement
Advertisement