Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant change workstation names

Options
  • 18-02-2003 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Windows 2000 network - with a Windows 2000 server, set up using the PC's original gobbledygook names as they came out of the (Dell) boxes ... (e.g.: DP003DVX30T)

I log in as Administrator on a client PC, and try to change the computers names to something more meaningful (e.g.: office1, office2, reception1, etc.). It asks me to enter a username and password to complete the operation and when I enter the username and password for Administrator, it tells me I "don't have sufficient credentials" to continue.

Any suggestions?>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

change back to workgroup mode, (will take a reboot)

then change the workstation name, and join the domain again

(I am assuming you have a domain model)

just because you are administrator on the network, does not per se mean you are a local admin, unless you have set it up this way.

by changing back to workgroup mode you are making sure you are administartor of the local machine. hence the box is your oyster!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Many thanks Beelzebooze...

You are quite correct in assuming its a domain model.

I'll try that out. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you're logged into the domain, and you're logged into the machine as the machine's admin, it's probably looking for the Domain administrator's username/password.

As Beëlzebooze suggested, -> workgroup, change name, -> Domain. However, you will likely need Domain admin/password to have an NT/2K/XP machine rejoin the Domain...

Advertisement