Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Reliability..

• 18-02-2003 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

I've a number of spare drives I need to stress test basically for reliability (they were previously all marked as defective, yet several still work quite adequately).

Anyone reccomend any small (preferably free or shareware) software that will do the trick?

Cheers,
    Ken

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Shareware here, don't know if its what you're after. http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/. I used Spinrite from GRC.com on a FAT drive I had, and it was outstanding. Pricey though, even though a quick float around on Kazaa might throw up a few surprises. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Most Drive manufacturers have their own Drive Test utilites on their sites. (I know from experience that IMB and Western Digital have them).

These should be able to run heavy duty tests on the manufacturers own drives at the very least.

Doing a *full* bad blocks test (with destructive -w option) under linux using the badblocks command on the drives might be another way to test them.

badblocks will allow the drives to be recursively tested until no error is found in a user specified number of passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Western digital use to do a program called Eztools which had various stuff inside. There was one for testing their drivers - dont know if it still exists , check their website ? Or any hdd manufacturers site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

maxblast from maxtor is pretty handy, does a quikie, full and random seek test as well as LLF's. Works with all makes too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

afiak amidiag does the job pretty well, i think the demo has all the hd tests.

i downloaded the dos demo off of http://ami.com/ yesterday, can't seem to find it today tho

• Advertisement
Advertisement