Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xp Problem

• 18-02-2003 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I am running Windows XP Pro, regularly when i try to copy 50mb+ off a cd the system crashes.

This has only started recenlty, after i had to re-install XP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

off ANY CD or just ONE specific CD?

have you tried removing your cdrom drive from device manager and rebooting for a redetect/install?

what HAVE you tried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

OK, this is off any CD

But it dosnt always happen.

My system was rock stable for six months, but stupid me I decided to format it to clear off all the stuff I didnt want. When I re-installed, without any change in hardware, this started happening.

I have since got a new LG CD-RW and the problem persists.

I have tried removing the drive in device manager and changing the actual drive also.

Just a question, could it be a problem with over-heating? My machine has become louder of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

what is the make and model of the motherboard? Have you tested another cd drive to make sure that one isn't faulty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

are you running out of hard drive space?

• Advertisement

TacT:

I have tested 2 different CD drives.

My motherboard is Elitegroup K7VZA (i think). But I am sure its not a problem with motherboard, this problem only started after i re-installed XP, it worked fine before with this hardware.

Bard
    I currently have over 15gig free on a 20gig, so no, got loads to spare atm, i am running 256mb sdram. And have ran up to 512mb ram and the problem still occured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

Could be an overheating problem all the same, download Sisoft Sandra (or another suitable app) which can tell you what temp your CPU is running at. The run Seti at home for a few minutes on the box and see what temp your CPU reaches,

if it starts to go past 60C then thats likely your problem and you need to check your CPU Heatsink Fan combination.

Well worth doing this to at least eliminate overheating as a cause.

XDA

Will give it a try.

I have ran this exact system, just with Win98SE and have had no problems, so not sure, just taking a guess with the over heating bit.

Advertisement