Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL Digital (Dublin) - Analogue Signal still receivable?

• 18-02-2003 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I currently have NTL cable but I am considering upgrading to NTL Digital (again cable). The one thing holding me back is the idea of not being able to tape one channel while watching another.

I've searched the archives here and I got the impression that I would be able to still receive the Analogue signal as well as the Digital signal. So I could put a spliter at the NTL box on the wall and take one cable to the video and one to the Set top Box. With this if I was taping a Digital channel I could still view one of the Analogue ones (probably only the basic package).

To confirm this I rang NTL today but they said I would just be receiving the Digital signal. This doesn't sound right to me as I presume the Digital & Analogue signals currently co-exist on the cable.

Could anybody confirm that I will still be able to tune in the Analogue signals?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Hi BobHope,

Yes, you can still receive the analogue signal. I have Digital in our sitting room and can switch to analogue also. The analogue signal is also available on other TV points around the house.

NTL were advertising this as a feature awhile ago.

Dara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BobHope

Cheers for the info Dara. It looks like I will be going digital...

Do you have the old style Cablelink connection points or the new NTL labelled boxes with the screw-in socket? I have the NTL screw-in type. This is the only conceivable difference I could see between setups. I am wondering if the newer connection points are in anyway different (i.e. more intelligent). Most likely not though.

Another general question: If you get NTL to install extra connection points when getting Digital do you get extra set top boxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

I have a mixture of the old Cablelink and newer NTL connection points. They removed the Cablelink one and put in the new one for the digital connection.

I recently had an extension built and got NTL to install some new points. The engineer didn't have any of the standard connection points and put in the ones that they use for Digital. They are rectangular in shape( about 6 inches tall and 4 inches wide). I am not sure if they are intelligent. I think it is just a better fitting.

When you get extra points you don't automatically get a new decoder. The extra points are usually just for analogue. They will probably rent you extra decoders but I am not sure. I assume they will have to do something like that in the future if they have plans to stop the analogue signal and have only digital.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

NTL Digital is a pain in the Arse. In the space of 3 months it went down 6 times. I've had Sky Digital for 3 months now and it hasn't gone once. Also NTL are the most useless company ever(except for maybe €ircon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BobHope

Cheers for the info lads. I think I'll risk NTL Digital.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

With my setup with the Di4010, I have the line split - analogue line into the VCR, digital connected via SCART to both TV and video. (NTL will install a splitter). I also have the RF-out from the VCR connected to my TV, but I can remove that and connect to PC TV-card if I want to watch TV on my PC or make captures. This includes being able to tape digital by selected the EXT-1 channel on my VCR.

There's also an RF-out on the Di4010 if you don't have SCART.

At the time I got digital there was an offer free installation and three months rental-free for two additional analogue points. This is still running, but they will now install only one additional point. The rental on this point is pretty small, only about EUR 2.50 a month IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Calibos

cableguy,

Am I guaranteed to get the new silver STB becuase tbh I'd like that cause it will match my present and future gear. (moving from black to silver:D ) Also, I don't suppose this new stb outputs S-video does it? I ask cause if it doesn't I'll be wanting an RGB capable split scart. One going to (HDD/Dvd recorder in a few months:D :D ) and the other going to rgb/svideo convertor to amp to PJ. Also did I hear correctly that these stb's have no stereo phono's outs on them, in which case will the split scart have separate stereo phono outs??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

From what I've heard, the new STB is a rather cut-down version of the existing Di4001 / Di4010 STBs, but it has an analogue modem rather than a cable modem. Can someone with the new STBs post the model number so we can find out the specs from Pace?

Advertisement