Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

partitioning a raid drive

• 18-02-2003 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if this is possible? im thinking of getting a raid system in at home and was just wondering if this can be done (even using s tool eg partition magic), if yes what level of raid r u using?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What sort of raid system are you talking about?? REAL raid as used in servers.. like Raid 5.. a few disks with parity and preferably a hot spare in case one goes down? Or the cheap IDE raid used on desktops that you can use raid 0 or 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by Saruman
    What sort of raid system are you talking about?? REAL raid as used in servers.. like Raid 5.. a few disks with parity and preferably a hot spare in case one goes down? Or the cheap IDE raid used on desktops that you can use raid 0 or 1?

nope nothing as complicated as raid 5 . im just lookin at gettin 2 hard disks & a raid card. but i wouldnt be keen if i couldnt partition the drive(s) as i like my own way of setting things up. just wanted some feedback from current users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont see why you cant partition as you like... then again i have never tried! But assuming you have the 2 disks set up to stripe.. and you have 1 disk technically seen by the OS then.. I dont see why not.. Will these be seperate storage? Or will you be installing your OS on to the raid array (as c:)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by Saruman
    I dont see why you cant partition as you like... then again i have never tried! But assuming you have the 2 disks set up to stripe.. and you have 1 disk technically seen by the OS then.. I dont see why not.. Will these be seperate storage? Or will you be installing your OS on to the raid array (as c:)?

i am installing the o.s. onto the array, but from what i can remember a mate of mine telling me he couldnt partition as normal with his raid setup, it just set me thinking.......has anyone actually done this?

is their a quick way of checking which type of raid he has set up as i dont think he knows himself(it may be a prob with a particular level of raid)?

appreciate the help saruman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Partitioning a raid setup is no different to partitioning a non raid setup...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Raid.

If you were using Linux, you eventually end up with a device called md0 as your root raid device.

What you are talking about doing is raid 1.
    Two disks appearing as one.

If you are interested in doing this from Linux.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Root-RAID-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2

Or just use the automagic software raid install from the Red Hat installer.

Muses: If only I had the money for a raid system...

any takers?

haha

Advertisement