Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Question for High-Milage Drivers!

Options
  • 18-02-2003 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Which village, town or city do you most hate visiting or driving through?

I had this thought after spending too long in traffic at Gorey which must be the tailback captial of the south-east :mad:

Name and Shame here! (and tell why)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Newmarket-on-Fergus in Clare - thank God they've bypassed it now - the main Limerick-Ennis Road used to run through it, and it takes two 90degree bends in succession on the way through :rolleyes:

Another one I dislike is Crusheen between Ennis and Galway - same thing again, nasty 90 deg bend in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Dunshaughlin

Grrrr. Now they are digging the street up to lay new sewerage for the next_six_months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Drogheda is a biatch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

My top five boils on the bum:

Kildare
    Limerick
    Drogheda
    Mitchellstown
    Fermoy

All of whom I'd happily nuke from orbit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭halkar

M50 :D Biggest car park in Europe :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

ClareGalway in Galway. Takes me an hour every evening to get home. I only live 11 miles from Galway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Sarsfield roundabout in cork on a busy day...

Thursdays are a nightmare....you could spend 25 minnutes to go 200 yards, no joke.

Our efficent local authority had planned in the orginal map to make a flyover there...guess what...yes....they didn't.

Another for me as I go Glanmire-Ballincollig is ballingocllig town just as school finishes.....they are building a by-pass, built by the turks, so the road surface with be excellent...

J .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

(1) Drogheda. Although you can take the left at the europa and then the first right and end up at mullens :)

(2) Kildare town.

Used to despise enfield, love it now.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

4 of the worsts in Cork are:
    Ballincollig
    Macroom
    Fermoy
    Michelstown
    If you arrive at any of those at the wrong time of day, you'll be stuck for 30 minutes +

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Carlow. Its a big bottleneck on the main Waterford-Dublin road, and traffic is usually hellish here too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good call! Carlow on Friday afternoon or indeed just after the schools turn out is very bad.

Mike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by Stephen
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Carlow. Its a big bottleneck on the main Waterford-Dublin road, and traffic is usually hellish here too :)

Yup, I have to agree, many a day Ive spent an hour trying to get
    through Carlow..

Gorey is just a kip and a nightmare

New Ross if you are headin from waterford to anywhere on the east cost north of New Ross on a Friday evening, traffic can be backed up for miles on the waterford side..

Monasterevin.. another joke and impossible to get through..
    Kildare town, not much better..

Jeez there are so much more, just dont have the time to list
    them all...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Worst imo is Kildare town or else Newmarket-on-Fergus is pure sh1te too.

Anybody know what the story with the Kildare bypass is? What's the holdup?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

On the N7 at Johnstown & Kill traffic lights on a friday evening, absolute disaster.....also as we are on the subject of delays, a mate took 6.5hrs last week to get from cork to dublin on the train and to make it worse the trains toilets were out of order for the whole journey!! :mad:

I heard about that, aparently the train stopped in charleville and the toilets in the station were locked. Eventually passengers were able to relieve themselves in limerick junction.

As far as travelling during the day, I never do it. If I am goin anywhere I will leave after 11pm

For example (leaving after 11pm)

Dublin - Cork 2hrs 30 mins.
    Dublin - Dundalk 50 mins
    Dublin - Donegal 2hrs 30 mins
    Dublin - Killarney 3hrs 15 mins.

Leaving during the day (not to mention rush hour traffic)

Dublin - Cork 4-7 hrs (kildare HAH! roadworks HAH lorries HAH 40mph drivers HAH)

Dublin - dundalk (m50 HAH airport rnd-abouts HAH julianstown HAH drogheda HAH, at night you can go through julianstown at 70mph, I hate when people slow to 30mph)

Dublin - Donegal (you might as well fly to knock and get a taxi) 4-7 hours during rush hour)

Maybe we should have a sticky thread detailing short cuts traffic info etc.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

There are pretty simple ways around those two poxy towns,Kildare and Mitchelstown,but a wee bit hard to explain in text. (or maybe I just wanna keep it to myself ;) )

btw,Chief,Dublin to Cork,in 2 1/2 hrs ,even at 11pm,is roasting some road :D

If the roads are empty, let them be roasted.

That was in a Rover 75 2.0 V6 at 5am in the morning.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Lol. I was thinking it wasn't a mini somehow.

I thoguht of another town.It's kinda outa the way a little but Bailieborough in Cavan is a disaster.It's "abandon city" when it comes to parking,and you have to squash through it because of the "parking".It used to be like that in Mitchelstown,but they've lined the parking since,and makes life a share easier there now to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I never thought I'd see Baileborough mentioned in this list!!

Old market town, old parking habits. Kingscourt it ain't.

I live near Kells, which is an urban disaster area on Fridays. Thank God I can get around it by going through Oristown and Carlanstown.

C'mon the M3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 original gadget

Originally posted by John2002

Anybody know what the story with the Kildare bypass is? What's the holdup?

Ive been told the KE bypass will not open till next year - its ready to rock, but they are finishing off the drainage, lights, etc... but it will just transfer the bottleneck to Monisterivan.....

• Advertisement

I'd just like to get this off my chest -

I HATE GOREY!

Yes I was in that hell hole again today, thats better...;)

Mike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

are they ever gonna by pass that hole..???

well actually they should do the same with New Ross & Enniscorthy.. they whole bloody lot of em... complete nightmares to get through :rolleyes:

TP that none of the above has a bypass - not forgetting Carlow and Waterford shows just how badly the SE region has been treated, it'll be 10 or 15 years before they're all by-passed. :(

Mike.

Advertisement