Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ipod, nomad etc

• 18-02-2003 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

more then likely going to the states for a trip during the summer and thinking of taking advantage of there cheap prices. How do the apple ipod's compare with the likes of creative's nomads and the zen music players. whats the best as regards to price performance ratio and also does anyone know of any problems with charging an american purchased one over here

cheers

data

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

www.archos.com tbh
    I have the multimedia jukebox, and its brilliant. It plays mp3's and divx's.

I have used a Zen aswell and this is way better. Havent used an iPod yet.

Also i upgraded my 10Gb jukebox to a 40Gb with a h/d from komplett.

10Gb for €335

20Gb for €482

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

eh 5gb, 10gb and 20gb ipods are $300, $400 and $500 repectively direct from apple

rang compustores apple centre i got quoted €400, €500 and €650 for the same ones which is just wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

a note though

Please note that your subtotal does not include sales tax or rebates.
    so you have to add tax to those prices :)

I used the ipod and it rocks .. very lite and since I am a fan of musicmatch it was very easy to use

I have a zen, it is good and price wise compared to ipod its decent, the zen is easily upgradeable, as it uses standard laptop harddrives .. though the zen music software sucks big time I think its is really bad!!

but 430 for zen (20GB) or 650 for ipod I would go zen

dont forget you can get a student discount for ipods
    in ireland you can get a 20GB ipod for about 600

• Advertisement

cheers hussey, didn't know about the tax thing, but as i say thats direct from apple, i think they would be cheaper elsewhere yeah?

no as far as I know buying from apple is the cheapest

Oh and a new zen is coming out which has usb 2.0
    so you have a choice of firewire + usb 1.1 or a usb 2 disk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I got the Nomad Jukebox ZEN from Komplett. Not sure how the price compares to the iPod or whatever, but it's probobly the greatist thing I've ever bought. Fits in your pocket, not to heavy... 5000 mp3's.

My only complaint is the pretty dreadful Creative Playcenter you need to use it - windose dosn't recognise it as a hard drive without the software. But I knew this when I bought it and have no real need for an extra hard drive.

Highly recomended by me :)

[EDIT]
    oh yea... navigation on the ZEN is easy as could be. I've used the iPOD (briefly) and have to say I prefer the straight forward ZEN to that fidily dial thing on the apple.

The ZEN can also create playlists on the fly. Couldint live with-out my playlists on the fly.

God I love my zen. its almost... unhealthy.
    [/EDIT]

eh i've got usb1.1 and firewire (thru my audigy not true firewire technically but will work most bits and bobs) i hear the ipod can't rename files once there transfered (at least the older ones), can the ipod create playlists on the fly also?

i personally think apple are a piece of kack but i there ipods are half decent :)

this zen sounds nice, is it worth the extra bucks then the 20gb nomad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

The nomad is a fair chuck bigger.. but it does come with a remote and a line in for recording.

don't see much use for a remote, but whats the line in do? what would i be recording?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I've just got my Creative Zen and i love it! It's small, durable and has a massive 20gb of storage space! The only crappy things about it are the ****ty neckphones that come bundled with it and as someone just mentioned the bloated PlayCenter software. Also the Zen is miles cheaper than the iPod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

hussey - student discount for iPods? Do tell?

Although, at this stage I'm tempted to wait until somebody offers vorbis support...

you can buy the ipod for once you are affiliacted with an educational body, i.e. if ya go to school/college see
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/IrlInd

you must apply to these critrea

• either (I) I am a full time or part time student aged 18 or over studying at an education establishment in Ireland and that I have a valid student card; or (II) I am aged 18 or over and a teacher, lecturer, tutor or other such person in a supervisory role involved in the provision of education to students at an education establishment in Ireland. This will allow me to purchase from the Apple Store for Education;
    • I agree to Apple contacting me for the purpose of checking my status and that I will provide proof of my status upon request; and
    • I agree with any Apple decision to refuse my order if I do not provide proof which is satisfactory for Apple. Apple’s decision will be final.

as regards to converting the voltage using a two prong to three prong adaptor is there more to that due to a voltage difference between america and europe, i know my digital camera charger is two prong but i both that in europe on holidays and all i needed was an adaptor but i though stuff from the states is different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

No voltage conversion (US=110V, UK/most of Europe=220V) is required if the adapter can handel a 110-220 type voltage range. Most laptop adapters can, and iPod Specs seem to suggest that the iPod does too (100-240V)

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

the voltage wont be a problem as if you get the right transformer then it will send the correct voltage!, my brother got a rio riot in the states and he just connected a flex, with a 3 pin plug at the end, to the two pins of the american transformer and presto instant power to his rio riot. mind you the transformer would have to support the irish voltage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    this zen sounds nice, is it worth the extra bucks then the 20gb nomad?

if your talking about the nomad jukebox [3] 20gb v's the nomad jukebox ZEN, the differince is you can carry the ZEN around in your pocket. The jukebox 3 is like a chunky CD-walkman as I remember.

The zen doesn't come with a remote, but there is one available.

...and it's not really that much bigger than the ipod. Far more durable I'd say too (the zens built like a little tank... all aluminium casing and sh!t... yummy.)

• Advertisement

ah i c what is meant by the remotes now also i had this image of a video remote for ungodly reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

that 512mb drive is €499 euros
    http://www.digimania.be/en/prod_cat.asp?CatID=1

The jukebox3 comes with an IR remote.. as in control from afar. You can buy an inline remote from creative direct that has a microphone on it aswell.. that'll work with the Zen aswell I think.

The ipod is the most portable, the zen is the best value for money and the Jukebox3 would be good as a deck on a stereo system. thats the way I see it.

thanks very much folks for all the comments, it is for portable use that i am requiring so the zen seems like the best option for me, pity is doesn't come with smaller hdd as only have about 1.5gb of music on the comp ah well its all good

Have a look at the jukebox2 aswell. Bout the same size as a discman, 10Gb, USB2. Goes for less than €300.. Bigger than a zen alright but a lot cheaper..

Advertisement