Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Manual -vs- Automatic

Options
  • 18-02-2003 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Ok here's the situation I've done 10 driving lessons and i still am ****e at "getting the bite" the f-u-c-k-i-n-g poxy bite i am ok in slow moving traffic but hill starts and taking off from traffic lights etc i hate it.

So i am considering going and trying an automatic. I want to know is what are tha advantages and disadvantages of an automatic car.

How much eaiser are they and if i start off in one will i never get the hang of a manual?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

say for instance your doing 50 on the N2, following a micra. you want to overtake it, so in a manual you would go into a lower gear to get higher revs and more power. You would't have the choise in an automatic. I hate automatics :mad:

PS, maybe I should of changed 'micra' with something a little bit more realistic like a fiesta or VW :p since you could get out of your car and run past the micra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by ando
    say for instance your doing 50 on the N2, following a micra. you want to overtake it, so in a manual you would go into a lower gear to get higher revs and more power. You would't have the choise in an automatic.

Have you ever driven an automatic Ando?

I used to think like that until I rented one during the summer in the states. The automatics these days are getting more intelegent. Then you are doing 50 as you say, you just floor the accelerator just slightly to drop the gear(pretty cool the first time I did it) and if you floor it all the way, you will drop to third(really cool the first time I did it)

The problem wasn't with the automatic in the way that you discribed, but a general lack of power. I was driving a 2.2L toyota camry, and it just didn't have the pickup that a 2.2 litre engine would have here(not that I have driven anything that powerful in ireland). I put this down to a general loss in power due to the transmission. I am terrible in explaining this, but that was basically it.

As for Kappar's problem:

It seems that you are having problems with stalling. If you use an automatic you will not have this problem. As far as I know, you can't stall an automatic. Another bonus is that it is one foot driving, i.e. when you don't have your foot on the gas, it is on the brake. Your left foot just sits there doing nothing. I feel that it would be a start for you to do this for a while until you get to grips with the rest of whats needed with driving, e.g. your observation, awareness, etc.

The problem in this country is that if you do your test in an automatic, you can only drive them in the future, unless you resit your exam in a manual. This doesn't apply the other way round.

Anyway, hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    The problem in this country is that if you do your test in an automatic, you can only drive them in the future, unless you resit your exam in a manual. This doesn't apply the other way round.

And rightly so. :)

The only problem I find with automatics, is that it takes you away from the machine. Kind of like the difference between programming in VB and programming in C, you have more control over the vehicle, and more of a 'feel' for the machine in a manual. Just like the 'twist & go' automatic motorbikes, IMO, automatic vehicles just don't teach you to drive properly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Automatic tranmission is the tool of the devil. It's just too easy, kind of 'point and drive', no skill, no feeling. It is the Pepsi MAx of driving, like the Real Thing, but just not the same.

Am I clear???:D

Seriously though, stick with it, many people have initial difficulty with the manual gears, especially at the beginning. You've alot to learn just mastering the car at this point.

The disadvantage of going auto is that you're then stuck with automatics, unless you re-test, which is a scary thought. The disadvantage with automatics are:
    They cost more, and can be hard to find 2nd hand
    They use more petrol
    They produce less power

but

[satan glint]they are seductively easy to drive[/satan glint]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Generally Automatics have a feature called Kickdown which will cause the gearbox to drop a gear, My Oldman drives an Automatic 525 and he just pushes the accellerator pedal twice quickly to drop a gear. Personally I prefer manual transmission I feel like I have more control and I think a manual is a bit more fun to drive anyway.

Ps Do your test in a manual car because you will end up regreting it in the future when you can't buy those sexy set of wheels without retesting.
    RED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Mercedes are developing an automatic clutch for the Smart. Sadly, it's probably still years off.

Keep practising and before long you'll wonder how you ever had difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by Kappar
    in slow moving traffic but hill starts and taking off from traffic lights etc i hate it.

I remember the hill start nightmare I also had trouble but practise makes perfect as I found out I have no problem with it now.
    As for solving your problem just let the clucth out in one smooth movement as the cluth bites genlty ease let off the handbrake at at the same time give it a little throttle. Just keep doing it somewhere quite and you'll get it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

just worth a thought,

clutchs in cars that are used for driving lessons ie guys who give lessons to a few people and are usually completely fecked as a result.

Try drive another car maybe a friends or a parents(generally one with only one-2 drivers if possible) and see if its any better before your swayed over to auto's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

I think most of you guys have automatic gearbox syndrome and believe in to many stories. You just hate auto-box by default which is sad. Design changed over the years and they come in different flavours.

Ok, its different ride and for some people say that car feels under powered but believe or not:
    -autobox is quicker and initial take off from many lights,
    -comes with higher petrol consumption but nothing shocking
    -engine leaves longer as you are not revving the b#@ox out of the car.
    -they cost more only when they are new
    -Automatic doesn't make sense in the car with engine smaller then 1.5
    -comes handy in Dublin traffic were knowledge of Riverdance helps during the painful journey to work. You will be changing gears and jumping on the clutch hundreds of times.
    -you pay more attention to driving (well some people do)
    -plenty of fun when you have tiptronic gearbox. I wouldn't base your opinions on micras(bubble shape) which have CVT gearbox(like mopeds) and don't drop gears like normal auto. I have to agree on this one, micra auto box suck big time.

On the other note:
    if you do the test then you will be able to drive only automatics which limits you on number of available cars. Maybe try different manual car which will be more user friendly. Maybe diesel car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

My da wants to get one next. Over my freakin dead body. He has difficulty staying awke at the best of times but I feel if he were to venture down the lazy-ass American road the reduced brain power required to drive the automatic would ensure a sleepy drive into the grave!!!
    As for Kapper, stick with the manual.
    Use less fuel
    More powerful
    Better re-sale value
    More fun
    More common in the second hand market if you are being picky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Thanks alot everyone you all make very valid and good point. The best for me is the test situation and the fact that it cuts out possibliities if i go for a automatic i can't drive a mnual but if i get this right if i pass in a manual i can swap at a later date is that right?

I'm not one for feeling the power and the whole romantic idea of driving. I just want to drive and i pissed of that i can't but i'm going to stick with it and try to get it at least get my test so if i want i can change and without cutting out my options to buy a manual car should the situation arise.

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I was thinking about this thread over the weekend, among zillions of other things that people think about. Anyway the thought that came to my mind.

Try learning to drive the car using clutch control only. By this I mean, dont use the accelerator. Drive with the clutch only.

Put the car in first and lift the clutch very slowly.. the car will move off on its own, without any need for acceleration. This is a method I use to drive in rush hour / very slow moving traffic, however I think it might be just the thing to get you used to finding the biting point that you are looking for. Dont change to second gear either. Just use this to find your biting point and getting used to moving the clutch slowly.

Its all in how you move the clutch, and not when you add in the power from the accelerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

nah thats not always true, esp if you have an older car or one that is used by loads of learners! it will probally cut out.

If its crap try apply the accelerator a little to pick it up and slowly release the clutch, eventually you'll get them so they happen at once but i think for learners its best that you put on a bit of power first. And don't put the clutch back down if ya think its gonna cut out or ya'll get the old rocking thats hilarious for anyone else to see a learner doing. Instead try a bit more accelerator and continue to ease out the clutch, okay you'll probally get a few jump starts but thats easier to fix that cutting out. And again try a new car that hasn't been used for driving lessons. I swear they are the worst and the biting point on them is tiny with no lee-way.

Alo.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I would definitely recommend a large engined car for driving an automatic. I have driven both a 1.8L Accord and a CLK200 which were automatic and they were both great power-wise. But the little 1.0L Saxo (I think it was) I rented in France, was completely awful and devoid of power.

Give stick-shift a chance, you'll definitely get used to it after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Gideon
    [...]or ya'll get the old rocking thats hilarious for anyone else to see a learner doing.
    Agreed :D
    Especially when at the same time, they're holding up traffic and costing everyone their tiny window of opportunity to get to the other side of the dual-carrage way.
    Classic stuff.
    In fact, I'd be tempted to get driving lessons just to rock the car for the duration of the lesson... see if I can make the instructor puke. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

get an auto, the yanks have it right ;).....cars are boring unless they're racing machines...A
    >B devices and whatnot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I once drove a Merc 230 SLK auto, now that was no slouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pritty_kitty

your better off sticking to a manual and getting your driving test in a manual,
    if you do your driving test in an automatic car you will only be able to drive an automatic, but if you do your test in a manual you will be able to drive both,

automatic cars are just for lazy people,

you'll soon master the bite it just takes practice, and hill starts will soon become a doddle, try going out late at night when theres no traffic and just practice

;)

Advertisement