Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed on changing courses??

• 18-02-2003 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Can anyone tell em if its possible to switch a college course half-way through it.

I have a Cert in software Development from an IT, and am on a yr out. However i got the forms ive to fill in for returning to college for 3rd yr the other day. On the list of diplomas, i was wondering could i just pick something else or do i have to pick the diploma in Software.

If not, and i want to switch courses, for civil engeineering or surveying wots the procedure. Would i have to start a new course from scratch, or could i skip 1st yr ect.

Any1 have any info on this, or has any1 done this that could offer advice.

I dont have a grant btw, +wud have to pay full costs out of my own pocket. Any1 know wot the exact costs might be??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Think what your talking about is you got an offer last year and you deffered?

If so you can put down other courses but you are not guaranteed to get the first offer again... I think???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MisterMax

Errrmmmmmmmmmm, NO!!
    Did u make that version up urself.

I done 2 years of a cert, and am on a forced yr out cause i didnt get the 55 avgerage to get directly into 3rd year.

Now im wondering if i can change courses completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Afaik you would have to start the new course from scratch. The only way of skipping years is if the courses are compatible in some way (ie. in the same field / containing similar modules). [Although I'm not 100% sure.]

I transferred courses after first year, which is similar to your situation, I suppose. The government only pays for one full-time undergraduate course per person. So I had to pay fees for a year (because I already had a year done), so I'd say if you do change courses, you'll have to pay two years worth of fees yourself. However, I'm not in an IT, but that shouldn't make a whole lot of difference with regard to fees. I had to pay about £3000 at the time :mad: but it depends on the course. They all have different prices.

The best thing to do is to get onto student services at the college and they should be able to fill you in on the correct details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

The fees r E1600 for next yr. HHhhmmmmmmmmm!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are you repeating year 2 of the cert or going into year 3 which is the diploma?
    U can switch to a new undergraduate course in an IT definately with out having to pay fees

• Advertisement

Im going into 3rd year, the diploma.

What do u mean by under graduate course?? Im not too familiar with that stuff. ARe they like Plc`s?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

undergraduate is the course before you graduate ie the 4 years leading up to your degree:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nadiek

Hi
    I was just wondering where do you find out the fees for each course if repeating or changing course?
    Thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Moonbeam
    U can switch to a new undergraduate course in an IT definately with out having to pay fees
    This is not true. You will have to pay full-fees (about 3k - depending on course) for every year you have already received fees for (in your case 2 years). If you transfer into 2nd year of a new course you'll only have to pay one years fees. Bascically the government look on it (but not neccesarily the college) like you're repeating years. If you finish your current Cert and then go on to do a diploma or degree, as far as I know, you don't pay fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The fees r E1600 for next yr. HHhhmmmmmmmmm!!!

What are you talking about? the capitation fee is still €670
    Hi I was just wondering where do you find out the fees for each course if repeating or changing course?
    Thanx

Contact your college academic affairs/fees office and if they are unhelpful then your students union

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

If you check the date of the post "The fees are 1600" you`ll see it was posted back in February. The capitation fee was being discussed back them + E1600 was mentioned.

This is obviously an old thread somebody dug up.

Advertisement