Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venezuela coup

Options
  • 19-02-2003 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone watch the program just aired on RTE about the Venezuela coup in April 2002?? ... absolutely amazing pictures of the coup as it unfolded. Some Irish production company were in Venezuela filming a doc about the President Chavez and were first hand witnesses of the madness that unfolded. Amazing stuff, the best doc I have seen in years.

What is even more interesting about the coup is the apparent links to the current Bush government, which seemingly both publicly and privately supported the coup.

Guardian Article

Can anyone spell hypocrisy children ... that’s right "B-U-S-H"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

heh, i was similarly moved in the television forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Yes, a fantastic programme. Liked the part at the end as the credits were going up, Colin Powell practically had his hands up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭MAC_E

I found the way the tv media was used very disturbing, especially the privately run tv stations who deceived the venezualan population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by MAC_E
    I found the way the tv media was used very disturbing, especially the privately run tv stations who deceived the venezualan population.

It's still going on. The privately owned media has been campaigning for Chavez to quit throughout the months-long oil strike that only recently ended. It's a very strange situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

It was absolutley incredible!!Especially when the private channel had interview those involved the next morning after the coup and they all had a bit of a laugh about it.
    Also I thought it was amazing that a US registered plane was at the island where they were holding Chavez-where were they going to take him??? And then when the US government reported in the press room that it was clear that Chavez supporters had fired at the opposing supporters in the street below, when the irish guy filming the documentary showed there was no-one in the street. It was really unambiguous in showing that the US was involved. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement