Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vga box

Options
  • 19-02-2003 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

any1 know where i can get one.......

tried peats etc...... costs 70 euro to get from america

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Apologies if this seems a silly question

What do you mean by a VGA box?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

it allows you to hook any console up to your vga monitor
    increases graphics by about 100% im told....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I don't think it improves graphics - it's just that a VGA Monitor has a much better resolution than a TV - actually I reckon it would make the game very pixelated - the TV makes them look smoother as you'd get Anti-aliasing from free with the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

consoles generally output graphics at the equivalent of 640x480 @ 50Hz (interlaced) which is like playing a game at 25fps.
    A VGA monitor will have a far better dot pitch (from .28 downwards), will not have the guns offset as in tellies and will be at full non-interlaced refresh rate (50Hz interlaced on your tellie is like looking at a monitor at 25Hz non-interlaced - it only refreshes half the lines on each pass, alternating between odd and even on every pass, giving you effectively half the res/framerate).

Tbh, when you try and play a console on a monitor you're going to be disappointed and it can't be improved much (aside from using proper cabling and SCART/S-Video connections) because the image generated by consoles is piss-poor to begin with.

And then people (kids, ignorants and noobs) try and use the high cost of PCs as an argument to say Consoles are better games platforms.....

You get what you pay for in image quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

http://www.videogamecompany.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Cables_61.html

Go about half way down the page and you'll see some vga boxes, i bought one of the $55 ones and its verey handy, i have a 17" TFT and its quite good, it does not improve quality though.
    I have my pc in my room, and i have my ps2 hooked up to the TFT through the vga box, i just press the switch and it swaps between the two? Very handy. But if i have a day off work, ill still bring my ps2 down to the main tv.

The sites also good for other unusual stuff for consoles
    sean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

All these current 'VGA boxes' are just upscan convertors. They convert the 15kHz RGB signal to 25kHz which monitors can sync to. (note: I'm talking signal frequency here, not refresh rate!) You get no improvement in picture resolution whatsoever, and as hinted to elsewhere in this thread, the high res. screen of a monitor will display the low-res signal data in a visually unpleasant way.

The only console which outputs a true VGA signal is the Dreamcast.

Advertisement