Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Humphreys

• 19-02-2003 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I thought this was one of the best performances i have seen from dave in a green jersey, his work rate was phenomenal, as too were his kicks, both from play and set pieces!
    Do y'all think he's done enough to secure the number 10 jersey for himself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I have always thought O'Gara was a better all round player but after that display on Saturday he deserves to retain the no.10 jersey.

Magnificent performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I was a 'Humphs' man but I'd vote is now with O'Gara. Granted he was awsome last Saturday, but O'Gara should be the man when we face up to the French and English. Against big opposition Humpie loses his confidence some what and I feel that we have more control in those games with O'Gara.
    Also, we should remember that Scotland flattered us last Saturday and it would have been hard for any Irish player to look bad in the light of that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

as the man said, ROG is the better all round player as countless displays for Munster and Ireland have shown

Humphries problem is that next game he may be ****, he is never amazing all the time, only now and again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

O'Gara would be very unlucky to lose his place because of this injury. Let's not forget his 100% kicking performance against Australia last year . . . The problem is that neither of them have Johnny Wilkinsons cosistency in kicking for goal and they are both capable of having an off day !

For me, O'Gara shaves it because his partnership with Stringer is second to none and because he's less likely to have a bad day under pressure . . . A bit tough on Humphries though . . . Apart from England, he'd be the first choice No. 10 on any of the other 6N teams (especially after Mercerons performance last weekend) . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jodus

Originally posted by bucks73
    I have always thought O'Gara was a better all round player but after that display on Saturday he deserves to retain the no.10 jersey.

Magnificent performance.

I didn't think so. The invention in the back line came from everyone EXCEPT him, his kicking for position was poor, and he missed the only really tricky kick of the game. He did not run the game as a No.10 should do. When in his own half, he handed off the ball as quickly as possible, and let Hickie and BOD kick, more often that not.

Good with the boot, but showed the usual limitations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

compared to O'Gara Humphreys is a batty boy. :P

his second phase play is weak and he doesnt link up the back line as well as O'Gara IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Dissenting voice.

Despite his occasional 'headless chicken' moments when the going gets tough, I think Humphreys is the better player. He's as good a kicker. (Were all those kicks to just inside the touchline missed touch attempts or a deliberate ploy to put the onus back on the Scots to create something? Not sure about that one but everybody seemed to be doing the same thing)

And he's a better runner and distributor than O'Gara. Seems to have brushed up on his tackling too.

Originally posted by Hairy Homer

And he's a better runner and distributor than O'Gara. Seems to have brushed up on his tackling too.

We must be talking about a different David Humphreys

All this discussion and debate over O'Gara and Humphreys, reminds me of the similar debate over Ollie Campbell and Tony Ward back in the 80's. Some of you youngsters may not remember them or have seen them in action (youngsters, what am I saying - it's only 20 years ago). For me then it was no contest, Ollie was yerman.

Originally posted by PH01
    All this discussion and debate over O'Gara and Humphreys, reminds me of the similar debate over Ollie Campbell and Tony Ward back in the 80's. Some of you youngsters may not remember them or have seen them in action (youngsters, what am I saying - it's only 20 years ago). For me then it was no contest, Ollie was yerman.

Well, looking back now with the benefit of a modicum of maturity I would say you were right. Campbell was by far the more complete player and a much better tactician. But at the time, full of the romance of youth, I much preferred Ward who was the more instinctive and unpredictable player.

The try he made for Slattery against Wales in Cardiff in 1981 remains one of my most sublime memories of Irish rugby. I'm sure you remember it.

Actually, that gives me an idea......

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Loomer
    We must be talking about a different David Humphreys

I was thinking that very thing. Mr No-Break, Mr No-Skip-Pass, Mr-Reliable-Yet-Predictable.

Why do you think so many teams target O'Gara? Cause he's a threat, he is a big part of making Ireland and Munster tick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭kingconor

Originally posted by Jodus
    I was thinking that very thing. Mr No-Break, Mr No-Skip-Pass, Mr-Reliable-Yet-Predictable.

Why do you think so many teams target O'Gara? Cause he's a threat, he is a big part of making Ireland and Munster tick.
    Indeed he is, but he's not playing against italy though, is he? Go Davey!!
    :D

Originally posted by kingconor
    Indeed he is, but he's not playing against italy though, is he? Go Davey!! :D

Don't get me wrong, I'll be behind him 100%, but when both are fit, there is only one winner.

Here's hoping O'Gara gets a club game under his belt next weekend. I don't fancy him coming straight back in against France, having not played in 4 weeks...

Based on the game against England I think Ireland have a really good chance against France regardless of who fills the out-half position.

Frances loosies where nowhere to be seen at most of the breakdowns and their tight five is not as strong as last year.

My prediction, Ireland will destroy France in the forwards department.

Originally posted by Loomer
    My prediction, Ireland will destroy France in the forwards department.

That's a really wild prediction. People like Magne, Betsen and Harinordoquy don't become bad overnight. They are possibly the most talented back row in the 6N. The application and effort just wasn't there against England.

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    Well, looking back now with the benefit of a modicum of maturity I would say you were right. Campbell was by far the more complete player and a much better tactician. But at the time, full of the romance of youth, I much preferred Ward who was the more instinctive and unpredictable player.

The try he made for Slattery against Wales in Cardiff in 1981 remains one of my most sublime memories of Irish rugby. I'm sure you remember it.

Actually, that gives me an idea......

When I was growing up every boy on the school play ground wanted to be Tony Ward. One used to have fights with ones much older and stronger brother over who was best. "Ollie Campbell is the better player. Take that yalittleshìt..."
    Those were the days.
    Don't remember that '81 match - probably too young to appreciate it then ;)

Originally posted by PH01

Don't remember that '81 match - probably too young to appreciate it then ;)

You get a snatch of it in a real player file here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/video/36135000/rm/_36135843_slattery_6_vi.ram

It's part of Bill McLaren's all-time selection. Sadly you mainly see Slattery going over and not the build up from Ward which was the best part.

Threw more dummies in a couple of seconds than a window dresser would in a high-stressed week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The only problem with O' Gara, and its a big one, is his consistency. One game brilliant and then the following week he plays alright.

He is still a better player than humphreys because he links up with Peter Stringer better. Them two have been playin together since underage and know each other very well. O' Gara takes the ball of Stringer much flatter than humphreys does, humphreys sits in the pocket, when kicking.

Advertisement