Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards FM? CAN WE PLAY YOU?

Options
  • 19-02-2003 1:15pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We're playing around with the idea of a community radio station on the int0rw3b!

ie: Boards FM.

Now, we know we cant play charts stuff as that costs a performance license and anyway, you could just turn on 2FM for that.

What we are thinking about is that emerging bands that want a platform could send us a number of tunes and we'll put them into the rotation.... perhaps have a spotlight Band of the Month.... that sort of thing.

Anyone know what the broadcasting position is for that sort of thing? Would we need a broadcasting license to broadcast non-commercial music with the artist's permission?

Any other ideas of what we could do with Boards FM?
    Would any of the bands out there be interested?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Maybe you should ask here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

We would definatly be interested in getting played www.20bullseach.com BUT ! best talk to http://www.irishunsigned.com first because they tried to start something along these lines and ran into license problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

IMRO have special licensing for webcasting, thats nowhere near as expensive as radio... check out their website for more details.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

couldnt find anything on their site about webcasting but will continue looking...

I cant see wtf we should pay them anything to send a stream of bits over the internet.... especially if we have a copywrite agreement with the bands involved.

That sort of **** really bugs me.

DeV.

Yup tis a mess the state of music over here, As far as i know IMRO demand you pay for playing an music, even ifs mine and i give permission they want a cut which is bollocks tbh, I reckon you should go ahead a do it and see what happens, if they threaten anything we can jsut shut it down till its sorted out.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

but its not like you'd be *broadcasting* the music to anyone to listen to. boards is, after all, an exclusive members club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

http://www.imro.ie/music_users/music-use-online.shtml
    I wouldnt heed much attention to the net revenue royalty % or minimum royalty charge, because they are aimed squarely at businesses making money from the broadcast of copyrighted music.
    Theres a form on that page anyway, if you want to make an enquiry cant hurt :)

I wouldnt give the site details etc if getting on to them just incase they decide to keep an eye on things and we do start it up without em

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I thought those Winamp radio stream thingies were free-for-all... no?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by DeVore
    couldnt find anything on their site about webcasting but will continue looking...

I cant see wtf we should pay them anything to send a stream of bits over the internet.... especially if we have a copywrite agreement with the bands involved.

That sort of **** really bugs me.

DeV.

I’m not a lawyer but…

ComReg only covers “Traditional television and radio”, is there any other government body who covers the net? Maybe contact some one at ComReg to ask them???

Other wise under the Section 40 of the copyright bill all you have to do is get the copyright holders (artist, band, label etc) permission. You shouldn’t have much of a problem with new or independent artists.

ADDED: The IMRO only covers “those whom it represents” (ie. its members). They are not very clear about this or about who its members are. Usually only major artist, some smaller like The Walls and Brando sign up with “copyright organisation” like the IMRO. But the IMRO are not the only copyright organisation, they are just the biggest.

Again as I said I’m not a lawyer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'd play a song or two on air for the laugh. Might be a cover and not my own stuff(have to write it first).

Slaanesh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

There are some links here about music copyrighting and also a little on licensing webcasts although the one link that I tried for it didn't work:(
    Also, you could check the RIAA site here.I know it's an American organization but their terms and conditions of license could be close to what you would have to adhere to in attaining one from IMRO.

Dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Remember not so long ago, when phantom were getting in a wee spot of trouble over the release of Phantom Vol.1? Well one of the chance-yer-arm get-out clauses was the claim that phantom fm was merely an internet station. I definitely think that internet-only broadcasting comes under a different remit but unfortunately I don't know if or to what extent IMRO involve themselves or expect the station to involve themselves in a ching ching kinda way.

Speaking from the point of view of a terrestrial community station, we don't keep play lists at all but we just pay an annual lump sum to IMRO.

Shall we try and get the noble brain of Pete Reed on board. Yes we shall.

Later,
    Roxy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

ok only read through half of the thread www.irishmusicnetwork.net and www.irishunsigned.com tried get something like this up and running but unless you got about a €1,000 knocking around forget it. Regardless of whether or not the broadcast is a webcast you still gotta pay for the license.

Plus if you contact Ron Healy at irish unsigned.com he will give you all the info needed as well as access to their online radio station (that I think is going ahead cos I think he held a bank up to raise the cash or something.....just kidding) but seriously get in touch with him and he will help ya'all out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

DeVore,

Another point, you say the plan is to set up a Community Station? It's not the sort of term that's easily bandied about and it applies to geographical communities, rather than a community of people who all happen to like new irish music! There are 5 community stations currently broadcasting in Dublin and about 4 aspirant stations as far as I remember. And they have very specific reasons for what they do, all centring around the idea of informing the community, providing a platform for community groups and individuals, as well as entertainment and all that. My point is, your proposal isn't that of a community radio station so you might want to rethink your fundamental position.

In fact, can someone just clarify exactly what you want to do? Are you trying to go legal? I don't quite understand.

Don't mean to sound pessimistic, so apologies.

Roxy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

roxy, - did you read the above posts fully ?

I don't think DeV is talking about actually broadcasting on the AIR... but purely on the WEB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I don't see the problem with setting up say a shoutcast type thing. Just do it :>

You can use this song, bearing in mind, I will break peoples legs who I hear "covering" it. HEHE

www.geocities.com/flacid_ie/song.html

Only one song on it.

Sleeves Mahoney : Somethings got to give
    Live at TBMC
    4:02

Ive got about 7 tunes you can use dev , just let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I just spoke to a licencing manager in IMRO, though I think he worked for MCPS.

Basically, the gist is that if the music's copyright is held by a person who isn't in an organisation such as MCPS, or held by a record contract, then anyone is free to broadcast that person's music, if that person gives their consent. I spoke to the BCI, and they have no issue with internet broadcasting, so long as we don't have copyright issues.

cool, where do we send our music then? you wouldnt be able to play covers etc so everything would have to be original. like i said ive got some stuff ye can have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Good idea, I think it should just play "Beep beep little satelite" all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can have access to my stuff, I thinks its a nice idea but one whos time has surely not yet arrived in dial-up Ireland....

Mike.

Advertisement