Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novell Netware / DirectX 8.1a Networking conflict?

Options
  • 19-02-2003 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

We're having alot of hassle here with installing DirectX8.1a on machines in college. We're getting massive pings on the lan (90-100ms on the machines with DX8.1a installed compared with 0-10ms on those with just DX7.0).
    The Novell application launcher takes ages to read the lsit off the server too.
    Afaik Novell uses IPX to do it's stuff, dosn't it?

Is there a work around for this?
    One guy suggested using the IPX-TCP/IP dll (dpwsockx.dll) from version 7 on the 8.1a machines and see if that works, but surely games requiring 8.1a will have a coniption fit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Defenistrator

Novell like many other Network OS'es can use different protocols, the native Netware protocol used to be ipx/spx, but that was in the days of ELS I and II, 2.x 3.x and 4.x I can onl;y imagine that Novell have now seen the light and started using TCP/IP as a default protocol on the more recent versions. The fact that you are pinging each other means that you obviously have TCP/IP on your clients, maybe you also have ipx/spx installed (it doesn't use imcp pagages like tcp/ip does). does the MS KB say anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes, Novell have moved on from the IPX days, and support all protocols..

If NAL is slow, then it's probably due to the way its been setup, but definitely shouldn't have any bearing on your ping times.

As Defenistrator suggested, check out the MS knowledge base, as DirectX8.1a seems to be at the root of your problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Netware went IP native from version 5 onwards. IPX is actually a class protocol though. Self-routing and typically 25% more efficient than IP.

I've also seen Netware servers with an uptime of 4+ years- that's pretty impressive stuff! I've only ever seen it bettered by an old SunOS server running an Infosys Mapper database. It had been running for so long without requiring any intervention that nobody was sure where it was actually located anymore (7 years without a reboot!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Upon getting the "About" info on the apps launcher this is what turned up:

ZENworks Application Launcher Explorer

Version 3.2 (20010726)

I don't have much knowledge on to what extent DirectX integrates into comon windows functions, but here goes:
    I'm assuming that nowadays networking in windows is DirectX/Directplay orientated to some degree.
    Something in DirectX8.1a has caused a cockup and is causing NAL to go hysterical and flood packets all over the shop, raising our ping times in quake (everything seems a bit slower then usual).
    I ahven't checked the KB yet, will do in a second, but obviously it's not a common problem.
    I do not want to have to install 8.1b, cos it sucks piss and will not work with alot of older games (like DX7+ and the old DX5 games...).

If there's anymore information you think would be useful in solving the problem, please, don't hesitate to ask and I shall do my best to get it for you.

Thanks,
    John

Advertisement