Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defrag

• 19-02-2003 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Juat out of Interest how long does it take most people to Defrag their Hard Drive
    ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I usually do it every month or so, at work. Doesn't take long - only 25 minutes usually.

My home computer can take quite a while for its 10 gig partition (Mac) up to an hour every 2 weeks usually :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Gordon what os do you use? and what settings for defrag?

I have not left any of mine to defrag in years as it takes hours and hours.. probably as a result of in fact NOT defragging in years and years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i do it about once a week, but i do have large iso files that are regularly moved on and off the drive. do it ovenight and it will not bother anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I better do it before the darkside lan... might take a while on 120gb drive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

/edit
    I use 9.0.2.

Norton Speed disk on OS9 to defrag my OSX partition. For some reason it takes ages either because of the large amount of files OSX needs or something to do with... something technical I have no idea about :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

36 (yes, thirty-six) hours.

A 30Gig drive with Windows98SE. Hadn't been defragged in about a year.

Completed successfully :D

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

xp seems to take feck all time to defrag a 40 gig drive that hasn't been defragged for the best part of a year (a little over an hour)
    took me 6 hours to defrag a 10 gig partition in win98 the other day:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It usually takes me about half an hour once a month for a 10GB drive (Windows ME)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

It's take about 2 hours for me on a 15Gb under XP. Got an 80Gb drive recently and I haven't defragged that lately... not looking forward to it. :/

Anybody ever Norton Utilities for defragging? I used to but the newer versions of NU seem slower (could be just the bigger drives too!).

Advertisement