Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Paste..how much is too much? :)

Options
  • 19-02-2003 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how much is too much and how much is too little? :) I read somewhere and some other ppl told me a very thin layer of the stuff is fine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The thinner the better in most cases,paper thin is fine imo.stay away from thermal pads, in my experance there total crap.

COMBATCOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

More than nearly nothing is too much. You're not aiming for a layer of paste between copper and silicon. Ideally, over as broad an area as possible, the two surfaces should be in direct contact with little or no paste between them. The paste is there to fill in the tiny pits and grooves you can't see in the two surfaces. Paste conducts heat much better than fresh air that would otherwise be there, but not nearly as well as solid copper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Artic Silver have detailed instructions on their website. Even if you are not using artic silver you should follow their procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

what do you use to apply it?
    Credit card? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

some other appropriate clean tool :D

actually I used a plastic knife l got with a sticky bun. Don't use it for sticky buns afterwards though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by marauder
    some other appropriate clean tool :D

actually I used a plastic knife l got with a sticky bun. Don't use it for sticky buns afterwards though ;)

at a guess and not being that techie minded i would suggest not using it on the sticky bun before hand either:D

Advertisement