Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic/Free Range

• 19-02-2003 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

What's the difference between organic chicken and free range? The price difference is quite substantial. I bought a medium to small chicken in the shop for under a tenner that was free range but an "organic" one was 50% more or thereabouts. Personally I'm not too fussed about the difference with such a price difference. I prefer to eat "free range" chickens because they look healthier, they aren't floppy bean bag type chickens they have muscle and sit up high, dead, on a supermarket fridge shelf. /me introspects...

While I'm here, does anyone not think it a bit strange that in this day and age more is now actually less. Hear me through here. If I buy orange juice that has been freshly squeezed straight from an orange straight from a tree it costs me an arm and a leg straight from a gene pool. If I buy concentrated orange juice (with e numbers filling half the label and additives and preservatives and yadda and yadda) it's pennies cheap. Does concentrated orange juice even come from a frickin orange?!

So there you go - two topics in one - now I really am giving you value for money ;)
    1: Organic/Free range debacle
    2: Less is more expensive/More is less expensive rant

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by daveirl
    Presumably Free Range just means the chickens can move about while they are still fed artificial food, and organic is when they are free range but fed organic produce?

That's exactly it.
    None of this pumping them full of antibiotics in their feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

So theoretically you can have a battery organic chicken - if it (organic) is solely determined on feed. But you are saying it is also free range?

Advertisement