Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone using Net access through PC

Options
  • 20-02-2003 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Is there any software for Symbian OS which allows the phone to access the net through the PC as a proxy, by bluetooth or IRDA? It would be handy in the house when not near the computer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

some apps do it automatically (e.g. the IRC app) when you have a connection via mrouter link to the phone

you can also set up a dummy Access Point to use as the connection for other applications to use the live internet connection on the PC (as long as the mrouter connection is established)

create a new access point based on default details
    Conection Name: e.g. PC (can be called anything)
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    AP Name: mrouter (can be any text)
    Username: None (don't change)
    Prompt Password: No (don't change)
    Password: blank (don't change)
    Auth: Normal (secure will work too)
    Gatewap IP: 0.0.0.0 (don't change)
    Advanced Options, IP and DNS: leave empty (don't change)

now if you have an app that asks you to choose an access point to connect, select this dummy one you just created. With a internet connection on the PC and an mrouter connection to the phone, you get a live internet pass-though connection (much the same as a PocketPC active sync pass though connection)

you would need to change your email mailboxes default access point to this dummy one to collect your email (remember to switch it back when if you plan to check it out and about though)

very handy for pulling down mailboxes before heading out the door, and surfing around the house (via Bluetooth)

although the networks won’t be happy to loose these packets – looking for a situation where they will determine the exact capabilities of handsets in the future :(

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Tell me of this earth 'mrouter' of yours.

mrouter is the application installed with the PC Suite (it's lives on in the taskbar).

mrouter_systray.gif

it's the app you use to select what port the 7650 will connect to the PC on

mrouter_properties.gif

with an established mrouter connection (denoted with a colour icon), e.g. when using the Nokia PC Suite, the 7650 can use the PC's internet connection to connect to the web (using the steps outlined above)

mrouter_systray_connected.gif

HTH,
    BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

The most compelling reason to buy a Nokia 7650 over any other camera phone is "because BrianG has one" and that means getting inside tips on how to best use the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

That was posted over four months ago, you big grave digger you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

is anyone else having problems using the Nokia 7650 Software with Windows XP? Mine used to work but now it crashes all the time. It does tell you that the software hasn't been tested with XP when you're installing so I'm thinking that some XP update that I installed must have caused the problem. Anyone know anything about this? Is there an update for the software for XP? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by LFCFan
    is anyone else having problems using the Nokia 7650 Software with Windows XP? Mine used to work but now it crashes all the time. It does tell you that the software hasn't been tested with XP when you're installing so I'm thinking that some XP update that I installed must have caused the problem. Anyone know anything about this? Is there an update for the software for XP? Thanks!

You need SP1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi there, I have XP SP1 and Nokia suite and CANNOT get it to work with my 3650 at all :( I have read various posts on here from Brian G (cool dude) and others but to no avail!!

My Bluetooth dongle is the MSI one off Komplett, was pretty sure it would work b4 getting it and now I'm rightly stuck!! Any suggestions?

I've the most up to date XP Pro you can get with Sp1 and still no joy. As soon as the software loads I get server error messages. It's not the Bluetooth software as it works on it's own but as soon as the Nokia Suite is installed it fcuks it up.

hi - are you using the latest Noia PC Suite (1.2.0)?
    http://www.nokia.com/cda1/0,1080,2015,00.html

if so, what BT adapters are you using / and what is the software version...

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hmmm can you do this with the T610? I notice with my bluetooth adaptor that you can set it up to create a connection that uses a COM port. Or is the T610 not advanced enough to do this? I wouldn't mind being able to download ringtones and games directly on the phone via a cheap pc net connection without having to download them to the pc then transfer them over.

I had a quick try but the phone says wrong APN. I tried setting the APN as the computer name under Bluetooth settings but that didn't work either. Must not be possible!

Anyway I'm definitely missing something; the T610 connects through COM6 but what makes it connect to the dial-up connection? In over my head methinks...

no - the Symbian handsets come with a connection manager that acts as a link between the handset and the PC Suite (and the PC's internet connection) - it's called mRouter

the T610 doesn't

BrianG

I downloaded the latest software and it's working fine now. What app would I need to install to access the internet through my PC? I've created the dummy AP. Thanks!

one that accesses the internet - like AvantGo, a POP email account, IM+, IRC... some work better than others... in that some tend to auto sense the open connection via mRouter, others may ask you to 'reconnect' via the dummy Access Point (found that with the likes of the Doris Web Browser)

BrianG

Advertisement