Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Ireland - Starts this year

Options
  • 20-02-2003 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

On August 20 2003 the birth of a new festival takes place in Ireland which will begin the first year of its life as a one-day event at the RDS in Dublin - and will grow in the next few years to become a 2-3 day, 5 stage, with-camping festival at the stunning Stradbally Hall estate in Stradbally, Co Laois.

This Festival will twin itself with the world renowned Reading Festival in London (and Leeds Festival). And will grow to become Reading Ireland.

Line up confirmed so far for the RDS Arena this year is Metallica and Linkin Park. Tickets go on sale March 1st @ 9am probably at some outrageous price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

€63/€59.5 according to entertainment.ie...

and apparently mudvayne and deftones are playing as well... according to hotpress a few weeks ago....

hmmmmm...

is there any word on how big this will be for this year? indoors, outdoors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

not a bad price-given that s.hitness is alot more. still i would NEVER want to be subject to metallica. nor the park.tho would be interesting to see L park for free- see how they treat a crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This is a one day event starting at 3pm and the venue is the RDS Arena so it won't have much of a festival feel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

RDS is a brutal venue any way...... and why Reading Ireland, they don't call Leeds, Reading Leeds do they?

Whens Glasto coming over then?

I'd imagine that it is just to link in with established festival in Reading and Leeds. Brand extension and all that stuff. You're right though, they could at least come up with an original name and use the same line up as the Reading/Leeds events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

as far as i know the plan is to run it alongside leeds/reading next year as a 3 day thingie...

although it being in ireland, i'm sure there'll be some sort of f**k up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

i dont think i could get any more underwhelmed...

...no, wait, there it is, i shouldn't have thought about what kind of god-awful weather we'll be having this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

though i wouldnt really be in any way interested in going to see metallica or linkin park i do think itd be nice to have an alternative to witnness :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Splatz

Well if they wanted to brand it surely they would call it Carling Ireland or something, seeing as how Leeds and Reading are collectively known as the CARLING WEEKEND?

Or maybe I'm just being silly ;)

I'm sure they'll get a sponsor on board as with all other festivals. Afterall what is Witnness but one big branding exercise for the big pint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

and witnness is also a load of jerking-each-other-off by MCD and the event guide scene.A mate was wearing the t shirt of last years line up to witns,and i swear to god it made me sick to see such a lack of jive.

reading;i shall jive

wacken,germany;i shall jive

any irish big event?nah..

I want to play F*ck Witnness this year.

saw it last year and it was evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Splatz
    Well if they wanted to brand it surely they would call it Carling Ireland or something, seeing as how Leeds and Reading are collectively known as the CARLING WEEKEND?

Or maybe I'm just being silly ;)

Because even in the UK a lot of people refer to the whole thing as Reading, it being a much more established brand name than the Carling Weekend, which is only a recent development(and if the kids do Leeds this year like they did last, it won't be lasting much longer...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the fuz

Originally posted by Gar_ptc

wacken,germany;i shall jive

In Flames
    Slayer
    Soilwork
    Vader
    Nile
    Iced Earth
    all on the same bill
    *drools*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

And they dont and probably never will sell Carling Black Lemonade over here. And they own the sponsorship to the fest.

p.s. Reading is not and never has been in London, its in Berkshire. I slept in the car park the night before said festival in 96, best gig i ever went to.

And they dont and probably never will sell Carling Black Lemonade over here. And they own the sponsorship to the fest.

p.s. Reading is not and never has been in London, its in Berkshire. I slept in the car park the night before said festival in 96, best gig i ever went to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 FlapjackJoe

Speaking of festivals, does anyone know if Ozzfest 2003 will be coming to Ireland???

He said he wasnt gonna do it again on The Osbournes the other night...not that thats concrete or owt

Whaddya mean "again" - he was "sick" last year... :(

Anyway, that was a good day out, hope it's on again...

The English leg is the 24th of May @ Donington, confirmed line-up so far is:
    - Ozzy Osbourne
    - Marilyn Manson
    - KoRn
    - Disturbed
    - Chevelle
    - Shadows Fall
    - Grade 8
    - Killswitch Engage
    - Twisted Method
    - Cradle of Filth
    - Nothingface
    - Ünloco
    - Trustcompany
    - Hotwire
    - Memento

[guess if there's an Irish date, it will probably be on the 25th then with a very similar line-up...]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Originally posted by FlapjackJoe
    - Ozzy Osbourne
    - Marilyn Manson
    - KoRn
    - Disturbed
    - Chevelle
    - Shadows Fall
    - Grade 8
    - Killswitch Engage
    - Twisted Method
    - Cradle of Filth
    - Nothingface
    - Ünloco
    - Trustcompany
    - Hotwire
    - Memento

Ick, thats a horrible line up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by acquiescefc

Same way Fairyhouse and Slane aren't in Dublin, but try telling the 80%of thr bands that play Witnness and Slane and call it Dublin on their websites etc...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the fuz

Originally posted by FlapjackJoe
    Whaddya mean "again" - he was "sick" last year... :(

Anyway, that was a good day out, hope it's on again...

- Ozzy Osbourne
    - Marilyn Manson
    - KoRn
    - Disturbed
    - Chevelle
    - Shadows Fall
    - Grade 8
    - Killswitch Engage
    - Twisted Method
    - Cradle of Filth
    - Nothingface
    - Ünloco
    - Trustcompany
    - Hotwire
    - Memento

[guess if there's an Irish date, it will probably be on the 25th then with a very similar line-up...]

where did you hear all this cos thats the line up for the American ozzfest,there is no british date yet but it is rumoured to be in september ,the only gig in Donnington around may is the Download festival which is on the last weekend in May, with Iron Maiden headlining,Limp Bizkit,Deftones, & Marilyn Manson confirmed so far.

I got that info off this site:

http://www.virtual-festivals.com/festivals/festival.cfm?eventid=2533&dbtable=event&section=eventhome

[apologies if its wrong...maybe I should have less trust in unreliable websites...] ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Splatz

Originally posted by Gar_ptc
    'and witnness is also a load of jerking-each-other-off by MCD'

'and i swear to god it made me sick to see such a lack of jive'

'any irish big event?nah..'

What the hell are you talking about?

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

what a **** line up,couldnt be worse if they tried.4 duds,roll on witness ,at least they always have some qualty bands,the rds is even worse these days,with another stand been demolished a couple of years ago.what a dump.I can see this going the same way as his "mean fiddler",a sure fire failure cause of lack of quality bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

AWFUL line-up.

ANd briand "BRAND EXTENSION" what the ****?

It's a festival nobody gives a ****, aslong as there are decent bands playing at them (and usually anybody decent is about 10 years old, or has just released a greatest hits)

DOes anybody know if All Tomorrows Parties will ever grace ireland?

the line up in UCLA last year kicked ass.

Just to let you know

LA 20,21,23 Curated by MAtt Groening

!!! (CHIK, CHIK,CHIK)
    ...TRAIL OF THE DEAD »
    BANGS
    BLACK HEART PROCESSION
    BLONDE REDHEAD
    BOREDOMS
    BRAVE COMBO
    BREEDERS
    BUFFALO DAUGHTER
    CARLA BOZULICH
    COLDCUT
    DANIEL JOHNSTON
    DANIELSON FAMILE
    JAH WOBBLE
    JOHNNY DOWD
    LE TIGRE
    LIARBIRD
    MELT BANANA
    MOGWAI
    MORIS TEPER
    NEKO CASE
    OOIOO
    SHANNONWRIGHT
    THE COUP
    THE FALL »
    THE MAGIC BAND »
    THE MELVINS
    THE TRACHTENBURG FAMILY SLIDE SHOW PLAYERS
    UNKNOWN HINSON
    WIRE
    YO LA TENGO

Surely an intersting weekend hehe

The Newyork one is curated by... Steve Malkamus and the Jicks
    but the line-up has still to be confirmed

and lastly the one in the UK,
    Chamber Sand holiday centre April 4,5,6
    Tickets for the event cost £110

Price includes:
    Entry to the festival that starts Friday 4 April at Noon until Monday 7 April at 10am.

3 nights accommodation in a private chalet that comes with private bedding, private bathroom with WC and shower, Kitchen with cooking facilities, fridge etc and a lounge with a colour TV.

A GUY CALLED GERALD »
    ANDREA PARKER »
    ANTHONY 'SHAKE' SHAKIR »
    APHEX TWIN »
    BABY FORD »
    BERNARD PARMEGIANI -
    perfoming De Natura Sonorum
    CARL CRAIG
    COIL »
    CURTIS ROADS »
    DISJECTA
    DREXCIYAN DJ STINGRAY
    EARTH »
    EL-P + MURS »
    FARMERSMANUAL »
    G-MAN »
    GRAHAM MASSEY
    HAFLER TRIO
    HECKER »
    JIM O'ROURKE »
    KOOL KEITH »
    KUT MASTA KURT »
    LFO »
    MARK BROOM »
    MIRA CALIX »
    NED BECKETT
    O.S.T
    PITA »
    PUBLIC ENEMY
    REQ »
    RHYTHM AND SOUND
    RUSSELL HASWELL »
    SLUTA LETA »
    SND
    SONIC SUM
    STASIS
    STRICTLY KEV
    SUNN »
    SURGEON »
    THE FALL »
    THE MAGIC BAND »
    THIRSTIN HOWL III »
    VENETIAN SNARES »
    YASUNAO TONE »
    ZOVIET FRANCE

SKAM RECORDS ROOM
    ALDER AND ELIUS »
    BOLA »
    DJ WOODY (ITFC CHAMP 2001) »
    FREEFORM »
    GESCOM »
    MADE
    MEAM »
    MIKE WILLIAMSON »
    MR 76IX »
    N M B ALLSTARS
    NORTH MANCHESTER BEDROOM ALLSTARS »
    PUSH BUTTON OBJECTS »
    SKAM DJ'S »
    TATAMAX »
    TEAM DOYOB »
    WEVIE STONDER »
    ZK »

It's slightly pretencious i must admit i'd love to go this year or maybe next, as it does seem a little more interesting than witnness or readingnireland

(the LA one with matt groening "so good"All Tomorrows Parties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

dear god, both line-ups look so good. i'd love to go to the new york one (if the line-up is anything similar to either of the other two). i heard the one in england has sold out, although i'm not too sure about that.

it is quite expensive. i guess you're paying for the showers and chalets and all that stuff. and a good ****ing line up, something which were not going to see in ireland anytime ... ever.

maybe we could organize somehting for the next year.
    like alittle holiday.

yey

Raggamuffin, what I mean by brand extension is that the entire Witnness festival is a marketing exercise for Guinness. The festival is "run" by an ad agency. If Diageo Group PLC cut back on their marketing budget it is quite likely that the festival will disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Hehehehe!

Advertisement