Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Ireland - Starts this year

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Sorry brian, i knew what you meant i merely wished to know what this had to do with good music?

I actually quite despise drink companies sponsoring Music related festivals. I don't see the point.

Its quite exploitive of the public, but i guess it's the promoter's fault for not taking a stand against such practices.

I rarely drink at concerts because usually i either drink beforehand cause it's cheap and very irresponsible.
    yey

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    maybe we could organize somehting for the next year.
    like alittle holiday.

yey

that sounds great! we could rent a chalet for ourselves and when the bands have stopped playing, we could stay up all night debating the moral dillema of reading kurt cobain's journals and the merits of the american hardcore scene in the eighties. speaking of which, can you recommend a husker du album? i have zen arcade, and i was wondering which one to move on to next ... and i have a vague idea of you liking husker du (apologies if i'm wrong)

re sponsorship ... don't festivals have to have sponsorship in order for them to be profitable? wasn't that why the tickets for the radiohead gig all those years ago were so expensive, because the band took a stand against advertisements??

But if thats the case how come some tickets (MCD for example) still cost alot of money. (manic street preachers, witnness, R.E.M.

I mean radiohead was expensive, i'm sure, due to the band's expense at hiring out the tent to tour with which i'm sure cost alot of money.

I still say drinks ompanies are the worst culprits of milking the public for as much money as possible. This suits MCD aswell as it cuts their costs and allows them to charge more for tickets.

anyway i don't understand why if a drinks company is sponsoring the event, why is the drink so expensive?

Oh Husker Du, Zen Arcade is their best but i'm told "New day Rising" is supposed to be very good. Although you should get Minutemen - "double nickels on a dime" which is form the same year as husker du, and they even taunt husker du on the inside cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

This day will go down in history
    Sorry brian

Just thought I'd bring your attention to something that i feel could be a first in the history of the Phantom FM message board.
    This is the kind of thing that children will talk about in playgrounds for years to come!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

but why did the minutemen taunt husker du? didn't they like them? weren't they punk rock enough? aww. but thank you for the recommendations, i shall get on to them as soon as i get money (i just lost my job, so it may not be for a while yet). i remember quite liking a minutmen song i heard on allison's restaurant years ago, something like hammer and sickle. ahh, the memories ... or something

as for why drink is so expensive when a drink company is organising the event: probably has something to do with complete control of the market, so you have little or no choice (heineken or guinness) so therefore you will pay whatever you want. unless you're like yourself and you sneak in alcohol or get polluted at home ...

nah the minutemen were on the same label, and they saw husker du releasing a double album so, they decided to release a double album too.

The jackass theme tune is a minutemen song called "corona"

I prefer theminutemen but to be honest both are good in their own respects

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

But if thats the case how come some tickets (MCD for example) still cost alot of money. (manic street preachers, witnness, R.E.M.

Last years Witnness was cheaper then any other of it kind in Europe (in line to ticket cost terms), well that’s what the press release said.

Corporate sponsorship is usually a good thing as it’s a way of people getting thing something back from companies, often with projects, events, festivals etc which wouldn’t happen with out backing from big business.

Re price of drink: I can’t remember Guinness being such highly priced at Witnness last year, Guinness is after all the drink that is branded with Witnness. Other wise you could drink in the camp site before and after.

Advertisement