Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking multiple pcs 4 games

Options
  • 20-02-2003 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

hey,

I was wondering wat every1 recommends as the best hub 2 get 2 connect 10 computers 4 a LAN 4 a reasonable price ?

Also, wat type of cables are best for this sorta thing?

And, wat network cards are the best and most reasonablely priced 4 lan?

And finally, if we have cable on one computer, do we need a router to share the cable/internet connection ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Hubs are all generally the same so any will do...

Cable is Cat 5 with RJ45 heads

You can pick up cheap networkcards go for 10/100 cards if you can. Some cards are better quality then others but for a LAN (and using a hub)you probably wont notice anyway.

Yea you would need a router or if one of the PC's was win 2k/XP it could share a connection (be a router) for you, assuming it has the DSL/Cable/Phone conected to it. There is a internet conection sharing wizard/option.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

following on from chadas post...the type of cable needed u say is cat5 rj45 heads.

If connecting to a hub then does both twisted and non twisted cables work.???

I really havent a clue wat im talking about but i think wat i wrote makes sense...if it doesnt read between the lines :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by Muzz
    following on from chadas post...the type of cable needed u say is cat5 rj45 heads.

If connecting to a hub then does both twisted and non twisted cables work.???

I really havent a clue wat im talking about but i think wat i wrote makes sense...if it doesnt read between the lines :D

Don't be silly now;) Cat5 cable is twisted pair cable and thats it. if your going from a standard 10/100 nic to a standard hub/switch then Cat5 is what you use. If you go into a shop looking for LAN cable thats what the guys going to give you.
    Are you getting confused and thinking of a crossover cable or something? maybe even coax?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

Rite wat i have been told is if im connecting from my network card to a hub i shudnt be using "twisted cable"

Wat i was asking is wat i shud be using?

Hopefully that clears that question up...and hopefully u can now answer wat im on about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

As Logie says above you or the person talking to you, are getting confused between twisted pair cable and crossover cable.

All CAT5 cable, be it straight or crossover is twisted pair. This means that each pair of wires in the cable ( CAT5 cable consists of 8 individual wires ) is wrapped around each other, so as to reduce electrical interference.

Crossover cable is a special CAT5 cable designed to connect two pc's to each over via network cards. In a straight cable that goes into a hub, the transmission wire, (tx) coming from the pc goes to the receiving wire on the hub ( effectively ) If you plug a straight cable from a pc to a pc, then the transmission wire from pc1 goes to the transmission wire of pc2, which just doesn't work. What a crossover cable does is connect the tx wire to the rx ( receiving) wire on the other pc allowing them to talk.

That's a rough explanation anyway.

So what you want are CAT5 straight wired cables. ( this means twisted pair, as they are all twisted pair and not a crossover cable )

If you are buying from scratch, look for a 3com hub and network cards. If you don't have a lot of cash, go for a cheapie network card, realtek type of thing, with maybe a netgear hub.

Gav

ps this ain't a text message you are writing. I know I ain't exactly a paragon of grammer/spelling but it doesn't take too much effort to put a h into what, and it makes it a hell of a lot easier to read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have a 16 port hub which im trying to get rid of on for sale board.

Connect 16 PCs together with the cabling mentioned above.

B and Q have everything you need cheap by way of NIC card and cable then buy my HUB :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

first get a switch not a hub . if ur in dublin go to b&q and get the cable and the jacks from there then head out and buy a belkin 5 port switch from anywhere there very common and good quality if your sticking to a budget all in all ull end up spending max 150 euros on the lot .

gl if u need any info givis a shout in pm and ill try my best but its all easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

B&Q in Liffey Valley do cat5 and stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Yes they do everything network related for home.

but the prices are very good €3 for 5 mt of crossover cable ,same cable made by Belkin €22 in Pc World.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

yeah buy a cheap switch not a hub. Not that much dearer these days and so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Ok, im also gonna be in teh lan muzz is talking about.

I have a couple of questions;

We're using a 16 man hub.

I have xp, will this effect compatability?

I think i have a netwrok card, when i go to start, seetings, network settings, it brings up my internet connections and then "1394, Net Adapter # 4" I looked this up and the net and there is a "1394" firewire network card. When i bring up teh connection manager on it, it connects at 400 mbps, which sounds good :D , but im not sure its what i need. Any ideas r comments?

Advertisement