Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Backup

• 20-02-2003 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked a fair few times but the search function won't accept search words less than 4 characters (i.e. DVD!) :)

So anyways, I've been browsing various DVD ripping/encoding sites and looking at all the programs available but am unsure about which to use.

I've already ripped a DVD onto my HDD using a program called DVD-Decrypter but I'm at a loss as to what to do from here on in ( I tried converting this into an XviD using Xmpeg, but it continuously crashed my PC ) I'm basically asking for people's first-hand opinions of what programs are decent for encoding DVD's to XviD format.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

www.divx-digest.com

get the gordon knot rip pack from there

in that includes a program called dvd2avi use that
    then leave the computer for a few hrs
    then get nanu ( its spelt wrong ) and use that .
    kinda simple .

njoy
    rember your rate should be about 200-500 depending on the movie quality u want

sorry just read ur post again ... try in divx digest tho i rember seeing somthn about xvid somwhere in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

from my own experience id recomend flask mpeg and virtual dub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

use Gordain Knot

much better than flask mpeg, advailable at
    http://gknot.doom9.org/

and will install everything in one go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

This site should help you out very easy to understand.

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

So whats the story ? Can you backup an origional DVD disk to DVD recordable disc ? do you have to rip... encode... burn. Is it not possible to do a straight disc to disc copy ? Also if you do rip-encode-burn do you keep the origional digital sound (say 5.1 or DTS).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Originally posted by daveg
    So whats the story ? Can you backup an origional DVD disk to DVD recordable disc ? do you have to rip... encode... burn. Is it not possible to do a straight disc to disc copy ? Also if you do rip-encode-burn do you keep the origional digital sound (say 5.1 or DTS).

well I dunno about straight copy to copy (as you will need something to decode encypted data)

but what you can do is :

with dvd-decryptor you can copy then entire dvd to the harddrive as an .iso file (image)

and if you have a dvdR disk you can burn it from the image
    and you would keep the original contents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Try vcdhelp or dvddigest or doom.org There all saying the same things really...

Heres what i do.. I never encode so cant really go into that m8.
    Use dvd decryptor for burning/copying.. its by far the best program out there.. I have literally tried ever one of them and this is by far the easiest with best results..
    TO READ A DISC >>>>>>>>
    Go to mode down to iso and read.. then select a location... Decrypt > that will take 30 mins to 1 hr depends on read speed
    To WRITE A DISC >>>>>>>>
    Go to mode down to iso and write.. select location of film u want to write > then same button as before.. takes 15 mins to 1 hr depends on what media or burner ure using m8

A big of info on dvd sizes/encoding/copying
    A normal dvd is usually around 6-8 gigs big. This is called a dvd9 disc. (There Are 10 different types of dvds) So u probably have to reincode this to fit it onto a 4.7 gig disc Go to the above sites for the best ways progs etc to help u to do this.. Cant help u here.
    Dvd5 is usually 4.7 gigs or under so u can do a perfect copy of this by using the above method with dvd d.......

"So whats the story ? Can you backup an origional DVD disk to DVD recordable disc ? do you have to rip... encode... burn. Is it not possible to do a straight disc to disc copy ? Also if you do rip-encode-burn do you keep the origional digital sound (say 5.1 or DTS)."

yes u can as long as ure under the 4.7 gig limit u,ll keep all menus and extras etc.. It will be a 1:1 of an original..
    If u want to try it out try renting tremors or idle hands..
    Very short films to try messing around with and i had great results doing these

Also try encoding using dvdto1 .. its another good proggy for encoding if u can afford it ..

Appy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by hussey
    well I dunno about straight copy to copy (as you will need something to decode encypted data)

Can't think of any reason why that would be a problem. There should be no problem copying the data, encrypted or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Dvd decyptor stripes the decyss.. (encyption) and thus does a straight copy then.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pfitz

you can do a straight copy with single layer dvds but most dvds are dual layer so you will need to encode it to make it fit on a single layer dvdr.

for this you can use pinnacle instantcopy or dvd2one but you will need to copy to your hdd with dvd decrypter first.

the cheapest place to buy dvd rewriters and dvdr discs is www.121cdr.co.uk or www.bigpockets.co.uk

i would recommend a pioneer dvd rewriters

• Advertisement
Advertisement