Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops... do they last? Or how old is yours?

• 20-02-2003 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I recently got a Dell P4 1.8GHz laptop with a years warrenty. I'm very happy with it and on the whole I don't intend on banging it around from place to place that much. I might move it around from one location to another maybe on a weekly basis. I tend to use it 90% of the time.

Is it common for laptop to go under or go faulty more commonly that say desktops? It would be nice to think you could get 5+ years out of one because even when it goes out of date... it's still makes a great word/excel machine.

Anyone have a laptop going error free for them for say the last 2 or 3 years? I know that reliability is improving and all that but just curious...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

from what ive seen in work a laptop made around 95-98 were very stirdy . the ones that are around now seem to be flimsy and break more easily . that just from what ive seen

parts in new laptops seem to break quicker then there old'r ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've had no problems with my one year old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D, apart from the battery needing replacing but that's very common on laptops that are used mostly on battery power rather than AC.

Other than that, the main thing to go wrong is the screen...and that's the most expensive part of the laptop, personally I could replace a hard drive or memory on a laptop no problem but for those who aren't very tech savvy i'd definitely recommend getting an extended warranty, *mostly* because the screen could break so easily if dropped!

ye when i was talking about parts breaking i was meaning hdd and the battery ...

screan dosnt seem to break that mutch in em . unless droped/stood on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Oh that sounds better! Tell me what I'd like to hear :) ie, they are more reliable and rarely break. Ok, scratch that. :D

Although I'd say the LCD screens are more reliable these days and 2.5" hard drives are more commonplace and cheapish. Once the core of laptop lasts... well that would be swell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Laptops can last for years.. some of them... But there are many more that will be lucky to last the warranty.. Cant say for sure abut Dell but i know if plenty that are rubbish.., a few years ago that is back in PII days though.

The one piece of advice i can give you is UPGRADE YOUR WARRANTY!!!!

Trust me... No point crying in 13 months time because its dead.. no boot and even reseating the cpu wont fix it.. something obviously dead and you will be charged a small fortune by Dell to fix it so almsot worth buying a new laptop!! And if the screen does in fact pack in.. just buy a new laptop or use it as desktop with a crt monitor.. they are VERY expensive to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

IBM Thinkpads are workhorses, I know several ppl still using old P2 and early P3 versions, including three ppl in work here... battery life has never been a major problem with them... plus they've generally a very strong casing to withstand shocks/spills etc.

Personally I've an old Compaq Presario at home, (K6-2 200Mhz 32mb ram), which running Win98 still chugs along quite happily, only problem we've had is battery life (i.e. there is none), but I think that was an initial problem with the battery controller anyway, aws we've had the battery replaced several times... either way thats at least about 6 years old iirc and still working grand (when using mains).

Anyway, the Dell should be grand for a few years if its solidly put together (see Sony Vaois and HPs for how not to make a laptop).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Are IQON laptops any good? They sell to ESB etc. Just that I can get a decent discount on one. But don't want to go splashing out, if the whole thing goes tits up after a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You mean This??

Dunno but they are based in Dundalk.. give them a ring and ask if they sell shíte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

give them a ring and ask if they sell shíte

aaaagggggghhhhhhhahahahahahahahaha.........excuse me I have a technical question do you sell ****e?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Brand has a LOT to do with it.

I bought an Advent (PC World/Dixons own brand) last year and had no end of problems with it - physical faults appearing again and again - mainly problems with the cooling system (fan/heatsink).

Brought it back that many times that eventually I insisted on them replacing it with a different brand/model. Got a Toshiba Satellite instead and really, I can't recommend them any higher. Very well built system, - well put together, reliable, and much better looking than a lot of others out there.

So- If you're asking if they last, physically or if they're more prone to fall apart or need hardware support than their desktop alternatives, I'd say generally the answer is, as with most hardware, if you take care of it well and don't abuse it, it'll last you as long as you need it to. However, a LOT depends on what brand you get. If you pay for crap, you get crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

IBM thinkpads are like volvos - they're boxy but they're good. I recommend them.

stay away from the Fujitsu Siemens laptops - especially the LIFEBOOK B Series.

a good topic for a poll methinks ?

dono about that advent thing . the company that make them i bought one off them directly ( hi-grade computers) i had no probloms with it at all . ( me thinks bard was beating it with a stick ) and for those of ya know me that laptop aint left my side in 19 months so it has seen it fair share of abuse

maby hi-grade used other components they were not willing to use in other companies computers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,807 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I still had a 486 sx25 running till last year, only got rid of it cos it was too slow, that was 92 or something, maybe before o_O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My Sony laptops have never let me down; extremely reliable, well built, nice looking (beats the think pad) ;)

Had a Dell that died when just out of warranty ...would not recommend Dell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I have a Gateway Solo P2 laptop from new it's about four years old now and working fine. Sometimes the laptop just locks up or won't power on and I have to re-seat the processor which is held down by screws onto what looks like a very fragile connector. The first time it happened the Laptop was less than a week out of Waranty and it was too expensive to have it sorted.
    They are generally sturdy enough I have a dell Latitude from work and It's had a fair share of knock and bumps.

Red

Thanks for the help guys!

I might look into the extended warrenty given by Dell. Pity they really ride the goat for all it's worth. An extra 300-350 euro for the extra 2 years warrenty on the 1 year given. Laptops are expensive enough to buy and that extra warrenty really drives up the cost. At the least with the downturn it's never been a better time to buy one.

The one I got btw was the 15" Inspiron 2650 for 1,700 euro. It's a P4 1.8Ghz with 384Mb (DDR) a 30Gb drive, internal winmodem (which actually works! under RedHat) and a DVD/CD-RW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I have a Compaq Armada 100S its a piece of crap and was a piece of crap when i got it two years ago....

*sigh*

It's really slow I'd be quicker walking to people with messages sometimes rather than trying to write e-mails!

I think it's dying....

Thankfully the P4 laptop puts my P3-800Mhz machine to shame! :) Hopefully in 3-4 years time it won't too slow to send an email. It's great to curl up to bed in too. Load up an emulator or whatnot... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I've also recently bought a Dell P4 laptop, except I went for the 3 year option. Inspiron 8200 I think (dont have it here atm).

P4 1.8Ghz
    256MB PC2700 DDR
    8X DVD
    64MB DDR ATI Radion 9000 M
    30 Gig HDD
    Built in Modem/Network

Very sweet machine for the moulah...

I figure, after doing portables support in Gateway, if a laptop lasts the 3 years its never going to die. Having said that they are way too expensive, to repair once the warranty is up on it, and again from my Gateway experience, laptops generally die around the year and a half mark if theyre going to.

Biggest/Most repeditave problem I've ever came accross is Redshifts problem, and thats the not booting because the CPU has become loose. I havent heard of this in other laptops, but it certainly happened in a hell of a lot of gateway portables. Because of this I can take nearly all of them apart in meh sleep :P

[added]
    Incidently Redshift .. using both the Dell Latitude and the Gateway Solo..

I'd be very interested to hear which you find better/worse/more reliable and why.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Exact same laptop as Pimp.

Have it 12 months, modem went and took 6 weeks to get it replaced which was painful but besides that it is a great machine, would be lost without it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 awweb

I have had a Compaq Armada PII 400 for the last couple of years, apart from the lack of mem I've had no probs with it whatsoever ..

Dell's look nice but I know of alot of ppl who have had serious probs with them and damn the day they gottem .. yeh maybe high end ones look nice but but I wouldn't waste my money on them ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

[QUOTEIncidently Redshift .. using both the Dell Latitude and the Gateway Solo..

I'd be very interested to hear which you find better/worse/more reliable and why. [/B][/QUOTE]
    If I was buying a Laptop again I Don't think I would get a Gateway even if they were still here mainly because they were unwilling to help sort out the problem even though the machine was less than a week out of waranty. Apart from the processor coming loose often, the speakers are possitioned so your palms cover them when your typing, But the speakers were pretty crap anyway. Other than that It's ok I would give it a 7 out of ten.
    I only got the Dell about a month ago but I have a few problems with freezing up when I boot it says the HD is corrupt and them loads up, Aswell as that I have alot of problems dialing into the the jobs network 8 of 10 times my password fails remote network verification although the administrator says there is nothing wrong with my account. I think I shall dump it on his desk and get all these problems sorted out. Other than that it has a grand big screen the sound is good and It's nice and fast I only have a user account on it so I can't really 'Play' with it. I would give it 8 out of 10.

REd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'm running a Dell 4150 P4 - its about 6 months old, and not a problem out of it.

This crowd, seems to have replacements for pretty much everything laptop wise http://www.laptopbits.co.uk/

I will say the old IBM thinkpads, are amazing.My GF has one, p2 300mhz - rock solid, battery life is still excellent, if not better than my DELL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 awweb

Yeh thats a good one alright, here is another handy one I found in my travels:

http://www.komplett.ie

Redshift? Well I think I'm definitely upgrading the warrenty to a 3 year warrenty. What if the machine breaks down in year 1? Is it still under warrenty for next 2 years.

And let's say it broke down again in year 2, is it cover for the last year... year 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I deal with these brands in a repairs capacity so I get to see 'em in all their wonderous glory.

Sony: If you get one that works, super. If you ever need repairs you'll have fun. Sony have some major issues with what they'll repair and what they won't repair and they like people to jump through hoops before they'll actually repair anything. Overpriced and under specd. Beware the hidden repair charges and fiddly warranties.

Compaq: They had some good models... but they had some really bad ones aswell. I've seen a good few really old ones surviving without too many problems but recently have begun to see a lot of build quality issues. Might buy one if the specification was right. Repairs are reasonable, although they can sometimes be a bit picky. Parts are usually not a problem even far outside of initial warranty and componant longetivity is pretty good.

HP: Hahahaha. (Although HP and Compaq are all one happy family now I'm referring specifically to older models when I laugh)

Toshiba: If I was buying a laptop, it would be a Tosh. Not completely reliable but with B.M.S actually having a clue they get repaired quick smart if required. Usually good specifications and decent prices.

Dell: I don't like Dell. I don't think they've ever personally offended me in any way but I just don't like 'em. No real intelligent comments.

Fujitsu: Have only begun to deal with these ones recently... have so far been impressed with the build quality and the components but give it a year or two.

Packard Bell: Some decent models... reasonably OK repair service the majority of the time.... the recovery procedures are a nightmare... average quality but not a brand I'd immediately buy.

I.B.M: Some of their older machines are demons from the lower depths of hell. They just refuse to die. Haven't really dealt with any of the newer models but I would imagine they're still pretty decent.

Advent: Are not actually made by 'Advent' but by a number of different companies who use the brand name. Have had a lot of silly issues(like bad heatsink/fan placement, crap ventilation, poor quality plastic mouldings, incorrectly torqued bolts etc.), but core componants are generally good and reliable. Hi-Grade made Advents are pretty decent... repairs are done relatively quickly the majority of the time. Gericom made Advents are muck and should not be touched if at all possible. Other companies don't make enough models to deserve a mention.

So Toshiba it would be... although there's a pretty nifty Advent at the moment with a DVD+RW.... pretty pointless but nifty nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Hamster;

If you have a three year warranty it will be covered for three years.... that is of course unless your laptop takes a daytrip into the bath or down the stairs.

Always check the terms and conditions of any warranty.

Irish consumer law is a bit odd however... and some companies will repair laptops well outside warranty depending on the nature of the fault and how generous they're feeling or how snotty your letter is.

255 Euro to extend the Dell Laptop P4 (cost E1700) to extend warrenty to 3 years.... Does this sound reasonable compared to the other players? Peace of mind and all that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

I was wondering how much was your laptops..because i bought my one a 1 year ago for 1400 (AMD 1.8) from LIDL brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Kegser

Hi-Grade made Advents are pretty decent... repairs are done relatively quickly the majority of the time. Gericom made Advents are muck and should not be touched if at all possible.

Hi-Grade make some Advents? Wow. They're damn good pc's from what reviews i've read.

Hamster - that's a great deal.

Advertisement