Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops... do they last? Or how old is yours?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I'm currently looking into getting a laptop but Im torn between the Dell and Toshiba. If I was to go with Toshiba I'd probably go for the Satellite but what Dell model would you recommend. Nothing between them when it comes to price and spec but I'm wondering which is the best way to go? Any of you had them before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

I've had a ibm thinkpad t23 for the last year and it's indestructible, it goes everywhere with me and I've never had a bit of trouble with it. I had a dell latitude for two years before it and it gave me nothing but grief, had dell out 7 times in the space of those two years to replace almost everything in the machine.

go for IBM, as mentioned before, they're boxy but they're good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I personally would never buy a dell, based on my own experiences with them, when I tried to buy from them last year and was sent round in circles, no one knew what they were doing, all I wanted to do was complete the sale over the phone!

They may be well built but they're heavy and they just look awful, and the service and support is nothing to write home about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I was wondering how much was your laptops..because i bought my one a 1 year ago for 1400 (AMD 1.8) from LIDL brilliant

I was looking at these laptops before are they any good? They seem to have nice spec and a good price .I have a chance to get a laptop in two weeks so I am thinking should I hold out for for the Lidl one?Also I was looking at the Advent in Curry's last week very tempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by s8n
    I've had a ibm thinkpad t23 for the last year and it's indestructible, it goes everywhere with me and I've never had a bit of trouble with it.

go for IBM, as mentioned before, they're boxy but they're good.

I've got an IBM Thinkpad 600E - an ancient Pentium II with 128Mb of RAM. I would echo what s8n has to say - this thing has never given me trouble.

Good size screen, relatively sturdy, highly recommended. Apparantley work is replacing them with P4 IBM laptops with built in wireless networking, should be interesting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement