Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop problem

Options
  • 20-02-2003 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

I am trying to install win 98 on a gateway Laptop

pentium 3, 600Mhz if that makes a difference ????

there is no OS on it at the mo as it was all wiped, dont ask me how, its my dads..

I get this msg when the laptop kinda boots up

107 EEPRO100B LAN adapter failed the media test
    Please check the cable and reboot the system unit
    Exiting the RPL loader
    Loading the boot image failed
    Press ctrl and T to try again....

has any one any ideas here ???

many thanks, paddy:confused::confused::(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

neither the hard disk nor the cd was bootable.

the BIOS allows boot from a network Installer which is what it tried having failed CD HD and Floppy

either its faulty or the cd is not bootable orf not in the boot sequence in the bios ....... so enable it and disable the network install (mnba I think its called)

(a win 98 upgrade cd ISTR is not bootable but a win98 full cd is)

HTH

M

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

Paddyc

The Network cark is trying to load an image off a network server...the RPL...remote program load.....

This laptop may have been on a network in a previous life.....you usually can turn this off in the bios (if it is an integrated network Interface Card (NIC). I presume that it is...as you would have popped it out if it was a pcmcia card....

So go into the bios...cannot remember the Gateway 2000 key press but it will tell you on the startup screen..

Then find the network card and either disable it completely or turn of the rpl option...then make sure that you have a bootabl cd and that you have got the cd rom drive set up as a bootable device ...(also set in the BIOS normally...

Hope this helps....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh i take it you have in fact confirmed the hard drive IS actually recognised in the bios??? and not a case its been wiped?? Usually when they start booting off the network its because there is no other boot device available and not simply because there is no os on the hard drive (you should get no os found for that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

will have a try lads not very sys admin minded but thanks for the advice

Advertisement